Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
fawvers
AF Newbie

91 Tracker ECM -Need Help PLEASE

i have just spent hours on the internet researching how to rebuild a tracker ECM. that is where i came across this forum. I am not looking for a handout, just some help. i cannot afford to have this rebuilt by someone, so i was hoping someone might be able to tell me how to do it. i know that sounds strange. i'm not trying to take business away by asking someone's secret....i just dont know what else to do. Let me explain what has happened...why i am resorting to begging ...i lost my job in september after 6 years. i sold everything i had to move since i couldnt afford the rent anymore. i took that money and got a tiny 1 bedroom house (from a 4 bedroom) and spent the rest on a 1991 Tracker. I had $2000 to work with. I bought it for $1100 and put the rest of the money into it to make sure it would be reliable....ya right!!! i bought snow tires (i live in eastern wa.), a battery, complete tune up, synthetic oil change, fuel and air filters, pcv valve, brakes, tranny service...u name it. the car ran rough...vibrated pretty bad. thought it was a motor mount. the worst part was the gas milage. we were lucky to get 180 miles to a TANK!!! but i dealt w/it for 2 or 3 weeks...and many tanks of gas one day i was warming up the car, got out to scrape the windows and it just died. tried to restart it...no way. turns over everytime...wants to start, but wouldnt. tried everyday. about a week later it started...and then died. this has been going on for about 2 months. will start, run a couple of minutes and then die. pour gas in the throttle body and it runs for a second. one day it stayed running for 10 minutes...so i decided to take it for a drive. got 2 miles down the road, it was idleing at a stop sign....it died. had to get a tow home i start it every couple of days, but it always dies. i have done a ton of research and am 99% sure it's the ECM. I just dont have any money...i mean not even $1. So i am now trying to find out how to rebuild the ECM myself. I have been w/out a car for almost 2 months. I can't get a job w/out my car, and cant fix my car w/out a job. it's a terrible cycle! I found an article on a forum on bypassing the ECM, but the link to the fix was no good. I am only left w/the idea of asking how to rebuild the ECM. i just dont know what else to do. Thank you so much for your time. Kim
fawvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
viperh
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to viperh Send a message via Yahoo to viperh
Re: 91 Tracker ECM -Need Help PLEASE

Good luck I was unable to get the secrets. There is a guy who will rebuild it for 60 bucks in MO if you search my user name the info is there somewhere. I had to rebuild the one in my eclipse and all it was was the capacitors easy fix. But supposidly on the trackers its more than the capacitors there is a chip or something also that needs to be replaced from the little information that I could gather. Good luck on your ventures hopefully someone will step up and tell you what exactly needs replaced.

Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawvers
i have just spent hours on the internet researching how to rebuild a tracker ECM. that is where i came across this forum. I am not looking for a handout, just some help. i cannot afford to have this rebuilt by someone, so i was hoping someone might be able to tell me how to do it. i know that sounds strange. i'm not trying to take business away by asking someone's secret....i just dont know what else to do. Let me explain what has happened...why i am resorting to begging ...i lost my job in september after 6 years. i sold everything i had to move since i couldnt afford the rent anymore. i took that money and got a tiny 1 bedroom house (from a 4 bedroom) and spent the rest on a 1991 Tracker. I had $2000 to work with. I bought it for $1100 and put the rest of the money into it to make sure it would be reliable....ya right!!! i bought snow tires (i live in eastern wa.), a battery, complete tune up, synthetic oil change, fuel and air filters, pcv valve, brakes, tranny service...u name it. the car ran rough...vibrated pretty bad. thought it was a motor mount. the worst part was the gas milage. we were lucky to get 180 miles to a TANK!!! but i dealt w/it for 2 or 3 weeks...and many tanks of gas one day i was warming up the car, got out to scrape the windows and it just died. tried to restart it...no way. turns over everytime...wants to start, but wouldnt. tried everyday. about a week later it started...and then died. this has been going on for about 2 months. will start, run a couple of minutes and then die. pour gas in the throttle body and it runs for a second. one day it stayed running for 10 minutes...so i decided to take it for a drive. got 2 miles down the road, it was idleing at a stop sign....it died. had to get a tow home i start it every couple of days, but it always dies. i have done a ton of research and am 99% sure it's the ECM. I just dont have any money...i mean not even $1. So i am now trying to find out how to rebuild the ECM myself. I have been w/out a car for almost 2 months. I can't get a job w/out my car, and cant fix my car w/out a job. it's a terrible cycle! I found an article on a forum on bypassing the ECM, but the link to the fix was no good. I am only left w/the idea of asking how to rebuild the ECM. i just dont know what else to do. Thank you so much for your time. Kim
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
freekshow74
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to freekshow74

if you still need the ecm let me know i have an extra up for sale. im not out to get rich just want to be able to use my shed.
freekshow74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
iamatracker
AF Newbie

Okay so your broke,,Here's my solution, e-mail me and I will send you the fix for your fuel injector, if that'sthe problem, no fuel at the injector. I have replaced the ECM on my tracker and that wasn't the problem so I re-installed the original. I by-passed the 12 volt supply to the injector and this is still not solving the problem. BUt if you want to try and by-pass the ECM okay....BUT, there are other malfunctions that have to be considered.
iamatracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
viperh
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to viperh Send a message via Yahoo to viperh

If you know how to solder replace the capacitors on the ecu. Capacitors are anywhere from 2 to 5 cents.
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker