Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
dzemba
AF Newbie

geo prizm failure to start

Hi, I have a 96 Geo Prizm, automatic. Most of the time the car will start right up but sometimes I turn the key over and all i get is a 'Click' from the starter. The starter has already been replaced, along with plugs, wires, distributor, etc. Wiggling the shifter and tapping the starter does nothing to help. My thought is that it could be an electrical problem. I usually just keep taking the key out and reinserting and after a while she starts. The starter wires are new and attached properly.
Also, an a few occasions when I am turning left there is a momentary loss of power steering, usually lasting a few seconds. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

David
dzemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
paganman7
AF Newbie

Re: geo prizm failure to start

I am having a very similar issue. Have you checked your ignition switch? It turns out that the ignition switch is not my problem, but it may be yours.

The ignition switch on that car is white plastic, and it is found behind the key lock cylinder. You have to dismantle the steering column and trims, but the switch isn't too difficult to get to. The ignition switch costs $110 at my local Chevy dealer.

I paid the $110, installed the ignition switch, but my problem persisted. Hopefully it will resolve your problem.
paganman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
leftyfriz
AF Newbie

Re: geo prizm failure to start

I am having problems trying to get my 94 prizm to fire over. I replaced the spark plugs, rotor and cap thinking that was the problem. the engine light is still on and i can not figure out how to get it to go off. i pulled the battery and let it set for 20 minutes thinking that would do the trick and nothing. Any suggestions?

Lefty Friz
leftyfriz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion