Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Rally
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
sk8pimp009
AF Newbie

Jetta Rally Car

I am interested in turning my daily driver Jetta MK3 into a rally car, not for competition, but because i want a fast car that will drive on everyday streets and sometimes beyond. Well i have been looking for some time and i can't find any information on what parts i should buy, where to buy them and just basic knowledge.

The one person that started to "help" me gave me some info that sounded fishy. He mentioned putting a locking differential on my car, but my 98 Jetta has a solid rear axle, so i don't know if i believe him.

Is there any one out there that can direct me in the right direction. I need parts, general information and a supplier.

Thanks for any help on this.
sk8pimp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: Jetta Rally Car

I think you need to learn what a "rally car" is.

typical rally cars in the united states are not any "faster" than street cars, the difference is that they have suspension built to handle the abuse of a rally and the the safety equipment to ensure that the driver survives the inevitable crashes.

What are you looking for? Are you really looking to drive your car offroad or are you looking to make it as you say "faster"?
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
sk8pimp009
AF Newbie

the rally cars i have seen and read about are faster, they have a higher top speed and the RPMs rev faster.

Basically i want to take my car to the next level.

I want to make my car faster in general, faster revs and more horsepower. I also want the car to be able to take on rough terrain, i know it will never be awd or compete in a real rally race.
sk8pimp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
want a supra
AF Enthusiast

Most rally cars have good suspension and, alot of chassis modifications (roll cage and such). Maybe light engine modification, as the sanctioning bodies allows.
want a supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Big Pat
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8pimp009
I am interested in turning my daily driver Jetta MK3 into a rally car, not for competition, but because i want a fast car that will drive on everyday streets and sometimes beyond. Well i have been looking for some time and i can't find any information on what parts i should buy, where to buy them and just basic knowledge.

The one person that started to "help" me gave me some info that sounded fishy. He mentioned putting a locking differential on my car, but my 98 Jetta has a solid rear axle, so i don't know if i believe him.

Is there any one out there that can direct me in the right direction. I need parts, general information and a supplier.

Thanks for any help on this.
For any volkswagen modification, a good place to start is here: www.vwvortex.com

But you also need to get up to speed on the basics of automotives before doing any modifications - the mention of limited slip differential (locking differential) has nothing to do with the fact that you have a solid axle or not.

In any case, your car is Front wheel drive, and uses a semi-trailing arm rear suspension, which is not even a solid rear axle...

A quick look at www.howstuffworks.com looking for "limited slip differential", "suspension" or any other mechanical/electrical systems might be quite beneficial.

Good luck.
Big Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Rally