Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #316
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Codes 171 & 174 TSB # 03-16-1 update

What codes do you get when you hook up a scan tool? If you don't have one, go to autozone or any auto parts store and ask and they'll scan it for free. Post back all the codes you have and we'll be better able to help. Anything I would suggest at this point would just be a random guess.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #317
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

I don't have any codes. on my scanner it has 3 lights on it green,yellow,red. It shows the yellow light which means that there is a un-ready sensor and on the display it has the EV blinking.
My scanner is this model just a little older:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3030...icles/13029622
Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #318
sgonzaleze85
AF Newbie

Hello I have a windstar 2003 and I have the lean codes 171 and 174. I have replaced the plenum gaskets, I saw oil inside the plenum and in the pcv line. A friend told me it could be because of the pcv valve so I replaced the valve for a new one that I bought in autozone. But after 1 day the check engine light turned on again. I checked again the pcv line port to the plenum and the oil is still there... so now I am confused, I have no replaced yet the isolator bolts for the green ones, but I dont know if it is the root cause of the problem because it is supposed that the oil should not pass trought the pcv valve.... can somebody tell me what should I try next? Thanks (the valve cover-pcv port does not have the small hole)
sgonzaleze85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #319
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

When i had those codes i just ordered the kit from my auto parts store it is a Dorman Part# 615-177 and includes everything to fix the 171 & 174 code in canada it cost me $135.00 and took me 2 hours to replace and clean everything and i haven't had the Check Engine Light come on yet i did it in September 2013 but the isolator bolts are one of the root causes of this problem....this it the kit i told you about:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearc...word&q=615-177

and this is how to fix it:
http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html
Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #320
TheBackyardDIYer
AF Regular

Shop around for that dorman kit...I got mine from amazon for about $79...however, I don't know how much, if any, that shipping to Canada adds.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #321
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBackyardDIYer View Post
Shop around for that dorman kit...I got mine from amazon for about $79...however, I don't know how much, if any, that shipping to Canada adds.
Yeah if you shop around and have the time to wait for parts I guess that is a better deal but i needed it fixed right away i even went to ford searching out parts but after i got their price quote of 600+taxes i remembered i know someone that works in the field and they ordered it for me but like i said it's all fixed now and works great no codes except for a evap sensor that won't reset but i was told for it to reset it has to be driven at speeds of 45-65MPH for 15 minutes. but i don't drive it that far so i guess it won't reset till i get back to work and have a reason to drive it more
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #322
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonzaleze85 View Post
Hello I have a windstar 2003 and I have the lean codes 171 and 174. I have replaced the plenum gaskets, I saw oil inside the plenum and in the pcv line. A friend told me it could be because of the pcv valve so I replaced the valve for a new one that I bought in autozone. But after 1 day the check engine light turned on again. I checked again the pcv line port to the plenum and the oil is still there... so now I am confused, I have no replaced yet the isolator bolts for the green ones, but I dont know if it is the root cause of the problem because it is supposed that the oil should not pass trought the pcv valve.... can somebody tell me what should I try next? Thanks (the valve cover-pcv port does not have the small hole)
The black grommets are the actual cause of those codes, 100% guaranteed. You need to replace them with the green ones. You do NOT have to replace the bolts; just the grommets. FEL-PRO Part # ES72204 is $8.61 currently on RockAuto plus shipping. Advance Auto parts often carries them as well. Remove the plenum, cut off the black grommets with side cutters, slide on the new green ones, CLEAN THE EGR PORTS, put it back together, and the codes will go away. The plenum gaskets you already replaced are reusable.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #323
sgonzaleze85
AF Newbie

Ok thanks. I will get the new grommets to replace the balck ones.. but even I cannot figure out how the new grommets will avoid the oil to enter into the plenum and get burned, this is also accelerating my oil consumption... could somebody clarify? I'm really concerned..thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #324
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Some oil always comes in through the PCV system; that's normal. If you're burning oil, it's probably a different issue altogether. Unfortunately that would require, at a minimum, removing the heads and checking the piston rings, etc. Do you see any oil dripping below? It could just be a leak somewhere and you're mistaking the normal oil in the PCV system for your problem.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #325
sgonzaleze85
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubacat View Post
Some oil always comes in through the PCV system; that's normal. If you're burning oil, it's probably a different issue altogether. Unfortunately that would require, at a minimum, removing the heads and checking the piston rings, etc. Do you see any oil dripping below? It could just be a leak somewhere and you're mistaking the normal oil in the PCV system for your problem.
Hi, i have no external leaks, and the heads and valves were repaired recently with new gaskets, but I have this problem of oil consumption from time ago, when I cleaned the plenum I saw a lot of oil and the egr ports dirty, maybe this is normal as you said, but after one day the engine light turned on again. So what could be the problem? Do I have to replace the isolator bolts grommets? Could this be related to the problem? Thanks
Old 12-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #326
veerg
AF Newbie

I did the Isolator bolts back in Nov 2007. Windstar 2000. Had 54K miles then. Now I have 90K on it. Got the dreaded two codes again P0171/174. If I clear the codes and they come back again in about two days or 50 miles.
My question is that has anyone got the codes again after the the job was done already? or could it be something else?.....thanks.
veerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #327
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Even the green grommets wear out after a while. Just repeat the job; shouldn't be too bad. The EGR ports are probably fairly clogged again by now anyway as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #328
veerg
AF Newbie

Scubacat, thanks for the quick reply. I will do it again and see what happens.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #329
MTSpeedDemon
AF Newbie

I agree, if it has been 36K miles, the fix may need to be done again. Don't forget new upper and lower plenum gaskets. And clean the EGR ports while you're in there. There is also a reprogramming of the computer to make the check engine light less sensitive to what is considered lean so you may want to stop by a dealer and have the computer reprogrammed. It's part of the TSB that gets overlooked.

Oh and did you replace the valve cover. You should do that too. The revised version allows less oil to be sucked through the PCV system. If you're cheap and have a good pick a part junk yard, see if you can source a newer revised valve cover. All you need to do is unscrew the part from under the valve cover right below where the PCV valve plugs in and swap it to the original valve cover or just swap covers. I just replaced the little metal plate inside the cover. I found the revised part on a valve cover that was already off of the engine and the JY gave it to me for free. It is a simple bolt on job. If you see both types of valve covers, you can tell the difference when removed, the old one has a hole below the connector and the newer one has a rectangular notch to the side.
MTSpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #330
veerg
AF Newbie

I have not done it again. My state inspection was due by Dec 31. I was all set to do the job again in th first week of Jan. But just to try something. I took a duct tape. Cut an inch wide strip and wrapped it around the PCV valve to make it a tight fit. I happen to drive the van for about 80 miles and no CEL. Took it down to a Jiffy Lube and it passed inspection. It came back after about two weeks. I then really pushed the PCV valve in. It's been a month no CEL. I don't notice anything with the performance. If it comes back again, I will wait for a nice day and do it again.
The Following User Says Thank You to veerg For This Useful Post:
PJM361 (08-24-2015)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar