Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Rixa
AF Newbie

Question Mysterious Problem - Mechanics and Ford Dealership Baffled

My family has a 2001 Ford Ranger, 4-Cylinder, Automatic, with the smallest cab option.

The bizarre problem: Approximately every 500 miles (according to my dad), the truck will randomly have a spell of uncontrollable acceleration. These last two incidents will help to illustrate just what I mean...

My dad was pulling into a gas station, stopped behind someone to wait for an available pump, and suddenly the rear tires start spinning out of control to the point where they are squealing on the ground and propelling the truck, despite having the brake pedal all the way to the floor. The truck would NOT change out of the drive gear (the gear shifter could be moved to reverse, neutral, etc. but it wouldn't actually change gears or react in any way...if that makes sense). The freak acceleration spell lasted for 20-30 seconds, and then suddenly everything was back to normal as if nothing had happened.

Also, my dad has mentioned that once it happened while he was sitting at a busy intersection...the back wheels started spinning, brakes couldn't hold the truck back, would not change gears...and it propelled him through the intersection against cross traffic...very dangerous. And once again, less than a minute later, everything snapped back to normal.

Apparently there have been 6 of these incidents in total in the past two years.

3 mechanics and one Ford dealership later, still no answers or clues whatsoever to what may be amiss, despite inspections at each location.

Has anyone even ever heard of a problem like this, at the very least??

x1000

We have owned the truck since mid-2008.

Looking for any clues to a possible cause or explanation to what is happening, and what we need to do to alleviate the problem. My parents have decided that we have to get rid of it otherwise...it's just too dangerous to risk.

Help is greatly appreciated!!!

(I should mention that it is NOT a 4WD...seen a lot of problems other people are having with 4WD Rangers, so I just wanted to note that.)
Rixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
fireplow
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Mysterious Problem - Mechanics and Ford Dealership Baffled

The only thing that could cuase this is the cruse control. It has a short some where in the system. try disconecting the cruse control I would bet that the problem goes away. You can also start checking the wiriirg for chew marks. I would guess that some aminal has got up in there a done some damage. Hope this helps

Always remember if this happens again to just turn the key off
fireplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
CarRacingNut
AF Newbie

Re: Mysterious Problem - Mechanics and Ford Dealership Baffled

sounds to me like you have a linkage problem, is it an automatic?
I didn't know they put cruise in 4bangers, possible I guess.
CarRacingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
kklgpadgett
AF Newbie

I believe is cruise controll also. Try to disconnect it and see if you still have this happen.
kklgpadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
timd
AF Regular

I experienced the same phenomena.
The close proximity of the accelerator and brake pedals was the cause of this acceleration for me. The harder I pushed on the brake (and partially on the accelerator) the higher the engine rev'd. Didn't realize I had my shoe partially on the accelerator pedal when I was on the brake. This may sound far-fetched but caused this for me. I didn't try to change gears (PARK) when it happened so not sure if it is the cause of your problem. If/when it happens again, check foot position on the pedals. GOOD LUCK!!!
timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
camarrow
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Mysterious Problem - Mechanics and Ford Dealership Baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
My family has a 2001 Ford Ranger, 4-Cylinder, Automatic, with the smallest cab option.

The bizarre problem: Approximately every 500 miles (according to my dad), the truck will randomly have a spell of uncontrollable acceleration. These last two incidents will help to illustrate just what I mean...

My dad was pulling into a gas station, stopped behind someone to wait for an available pump, and suddenly the rear tires start spinning out of control to the point where they are squealing on the ground and propelling the truck, despite having the brake pedal all the way to the floor. The truck would NOT change out of the drive gear (the gear shifter could be moved to reverse, neutral, etc. but it wouldn't actually change gears or react in any way...if that makes sense). The freak acceleration spell lasted for 20-30 seconds, and then suddenly everything was back to normal as if nothing had happened.

Also, my dad has mentioned that once it happened while he was sitting at a busy intersection...the back wheels started spinning, brakes couldn't hold the truck back, would not change gears...and it propelled him through the intersection against cross traffic...very dangerous. And once again, less than a minute later, everything snapped back to normal.

Apparently there have been 6 of these incidents in total in the past two years.

3 mechanics and one Ford dealership later, still no answers or clues whatsoever to what may be amiss, despite inspections at each location.

Has anyone even ever heard of a problem like this, at the very least??

x1000

We have owned the truck since mid-2008.

Looking for any clues to a possible cause or explanation to what is happening, and what we need to do to alleviate the problem. My parents have decided that we have to get rid of it otherwise...it's just too dangerous to risk.

Help is greatly appreciated!!!

(I should mention that it is NOT a 4WD...seen a lot of problems other people are having with 4WD Rangers, so I just wanted to note that.)
camarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
camarrow
AF Newbie

Shut the engine off! Install a KILL SWITCH! Please do not sell this Vehickle to anyone without explaining what you have stated here! and If the Lock between reverse and drive does' not work this Vehickle has been tampered with! sell it for parts' SAVE A LIFE!
The computer could not be causing this! I am Glad that No one got hurt or Killed!
This I am sorry to say is Mechanically Impossible! Thanks' For the post! Good Luck!
camarrow.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
camarrow
AF Newbie

Part It out! It is a Killer! Yours' truly camarrow.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
spoiler429
AF Newbie

you might check for a broken engine mount
spoiler429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
jd-autotech
AF Regular

2 things. 1. ford rangers have always had trouble with idle air control motors. 2. i had one where the throttle bore was so gunked uo it cause a simular problem, see that the butter fly works back and forth freely
jd-autotech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2001 , ford , ranger , spinning , wheels
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier