Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 03:02 PM   #1
pinkchicken
AF Newbie

Question will rims off of a 92 vette fit my 84 vette

will rims off of a 92 vette fit my 84. all four rims are 17"x9.5"
pinkchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 03:21 PM   #2
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
it's the same bolt pattern. wheels off of a 60's vette will fit either of those years too...

you just need to double check on backspacing, and how much space you need...

your bolt pattern is 5x4 3/4
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 04:43 AM   #3
Big Jim
AF Newbie

Wheel Spacing

Hi Fly,

I just went through the whole deal myself so I can tell you what they tell me and what I figured on my own.

I have an '87 C4. I wanted to put 17x9.5" rims on the car to replace the 16x9.5" stockers. I was told that a C4 with 17" wheels ('88 and newer) had a different backspacing than cars with 16" wheels. I was told I'd need to purchase spacers ($225 at Eckler's) to use 17" 'vette wheels (or aftermarket wheels with the same spacing) on my '87. My wheels have something like a 54mm back spacing and the wheels I wanted had 38mm backspacing. I may be off on the figures a little but you get the idea.

Anyway, I decided to purchase the wheels and try them without the recommended spacer. I put 275/17's tires in front (standard size for a 17" wheel) and 315/17's in the rear. Well, the 275's did look a little too far in on the front but the 315's looked perfect on the rear.

My conclusion is, if I had bought and installed the recommended spacers, I couldn't run 315/35-17 tires because they would stick out too far to look right. I'm just going to replace the 275's I have in front with 315's and then it will look totally awesome!. I'm glad I didn't listen to the "experts" and figured this out for myself. I hope you can use this info the way I did. I see no difference in our situations as you also want to put 17" wheels off of a new C4 to replace your 16" ones on your '84.

Now to the topic page so I can ask my question.

BIG JIM
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette