Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
View Poll Results: What is better for performance/mileage hotter or cooler operating temp engine
Hotter is better 1 100.00%
Cooler is better 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
kilroypr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kilroypr Send a message via Yahoo to kilroypr
Question Tell me what you think about tunning your car for running a little bit hotter...

To my understanding the cooler the air that enters the throtle body the better because it is more dense(a.k.a. that is what the intercooler do for the intake). The hotter the block is(of course not as hot as breaking the engine) the better and easier to start the combustion process is and the less restrictive the exhaust is better because cleaner is the cylinder to receive the fresh air for the next combustion cycle.

Tell me what you think or what your experience is when you let your car run hotter or cooler.
kilroypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
GTPJeff
AF Newbie

Running them hotter is better for emissions and engine wear.. But cooler is better for power..

Hot oil and a cool intake = Max power..
Turbonetics T76 Ceramic bearing Turbo..
Dynamic Racing Transmissions C4..
Car was a Whipple Supercharged 302..
Ran 11.6's at 120 on street tires..
Sould run 9.30 at 150 when done..
Now you know why I've got a Supercharged Grand Prix..
GTPJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:52 AM   #3
kilroypr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tell me what you think about tunning your car for running a little bit hotter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPJeff
Running them hotter is better for emissions and engine wear.. But cooler is better for power..

Hot oil and a cool intake = Max power..
Great!!!, Tell me then what you think if you have a turbo or SC vehicle with intercooler and a hot engine block? Could not that be heaven?
Because engine efficiency hightened with hight block temp and really rich combustion mixture with a lot of gas a and intercooled air?
Old 11-29-2003, 09:29 AM   #4
GTPJeff
AF Newbie

An intercooler is great.. But for max power and the most detonation resistence.. You need to have your intake plumbing and the cylinder heads cool.. That was the idea behind GM doing reverse flow cooling on their LS-1 motors.. Where the cooled water from the radiator would first go thru the cylinder heads, then thru the block.. Using that method, along with aluminum heads (they dissipate heat faster), they could run a higher static compression ratio on the available pump gas.. Higher compression equals more power and efficiency..

BUT... In situations where detonation isn't an issue (like when using race gas).. You will make the absolute most power with cast iron cylinder heads (cause heat is power) and a cooled intake charge that will allow you to run a greater amount of ignition timing..

From what I've seen, just running a cooler air charge doesn't add any more power..At least not very much.. It's the added timing that a cooler charge allows that really makes the power.. I have seen on forced inducted motors where "2" degrees of additional timing can add 25 or 30 hp..An intercooler might allow you to add those 2 more degrees, and still stay below the detonation threshold..

I believe when it comes to things like cold air intakes, that you can't fool mother nature.. In other words, when the barometric pressure is low and the ambient temperature is high.. With a cold air intake or even an intercooler.. Your motor is still going to get low density air if that's all that's there..
Old 11-29-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
kilroypr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tell me what you think about tunning your car for running a little bit hotter...

Quote:
An intercooler is great.. But for max power and the most detonation resistence.. You need to have your intake plumbing and the cylinder heads cool.. That was the idea behind GM doing reverse flow cooling on their LS-1 motors.. Where the cooled water from the radiator would first go thru the cylinder heads, then thru the block.. Using that method, along with aluminum heads (they dissipate heat faster), they could run a higher static compression ratio on the available pump gas.. Higher compression equals more power and efficiency..

BUT... In situations where detonation isn't an issue (like when using race gas).. You will make the absolute most power with cast iron cylinder heads (cause heat is power) and a cooled intake charge that will allow you to run a greater amount of ignition timing..

From what I've seen, just running a cooler air charge doesn't add any more power..At least not very much.. It's the added timing that a cooler charge allows that really makes the power.. I have seen on forced inducted motors where "2" degrees of additional timing can add 25 or 30 hp..An intercooler might allow you to add those 2 more degrees, and still stay below the detonation threshold..

I believe when it comes to things like cold air intakes, that you can't fool mother nature.. In other words, when the barometric pressure is low and the ambient temperature is high.. With a cold air intake or even an intercooler.. Your motor is still going to get low density air if that's all that's there..
Great, that is why the SC vehicles require hight octane fuels. To get over the knocking.
I would not mind using additives to keep high octane fuel from knocking on a hotter engine. As you said heat is power and also agree to the low density air. That really depends on atmospheric conditions and there's not much to be done to enahance that.

But I feel the best would be to have a hot engine with high octane fuel and lots of cool air. Do you agree?
Old 11-29-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
GTPJeff
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Tell me what you think about tunning your car for running a little bit hotter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroypr

But I feel the best would be to have a hot engine with high octane fuel and lots of cool air. Do you agree?
Without a doubt..That has been proven with some of these high tech coatings, that are the secret weapons of some of the top race teams.. By coating piston tops and the cylinders heads, they can keep the heat of combustion in the combustion chamber.. And not have it dissipated into the water jacket or the engine oil..
Old 11-29-2003, 06:03 PM   #7
kilroypr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Tell me what you think about tunning your car for running a little bit hotter...

Quote:
Without a doubt..That has been proven with some of these high tech coatings, that are the secret weapons of some of the top race teams.. By coating piston tops and the cylinders heads, they can keep the heat of combustion in the combustion chamber.. And not have it dissipated into the water jacket or the engine oil..
Picture your car when done, would love to see it. I have a 295bhp dynotested GTP. The last kill was a Porsche Cayenne S at 138mph and 4750rpms.
As soon as I get the SLP hood and hardware and paint the spoiler and replace the torn wheel I will picutre mine in and out so you can see.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix