Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
View Poll Results: What HIGHWAY gas mileage do you get in your Chevy 1500 series truck?
26 mpg or better Highway mileage 10 1.65%
24 mpg or more 6 0.99%
22 mpg or more 17 2.81%
20 mpg or more 74 12.21%
18 mpg or more 133 21.95%
16 mpg or more 159 26.24%
14 mpg or more 116 19.14%
12 mpg or more 62 10.23%
10 mpg or more 19 3.14%
Less than 10 mpg Highway mileage 10 1.65%
Voters: 606. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #61
oldschooldeathwish
AF Newbie

Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

I have a 99 silverado wiht the 4.3 vortec and a 5 spd stick with the 8 ft bed, depending on how I drive and the weather conditions i get anywhere form 900 to 1200 kms per tank of fuel. I have a 128 liter tank I think thats about 33 gallons. so its about 23 mpg or for the canadians out there around 10 liters per 100 km
Old 02-12-2005, 09:02 PM   #62
silveradoman
AF Enthusiast

Running on propane i got 11.8 mpg, at a cost of 7 cents per mile, I just run out of propane and switched to a full tank of gas, give me a while to see what cost I get...
Old 02-13-2005, 01:38 AM   #63
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoman
Running on propane i got 11.8 mpg, at a cost of 7 cents per mile, I just run out of propane and switched to a full tank of gas, give me a while to see what cost I get...
Greetings Silveradoman,

I take it you have a vehicle with the "gas tank" mounted in the truck bed and you have a customized engine for burning propane ?????

I thought those units then didn't have the ability to use gasoline anymore. Can you give us a bit more of a description of your vehicle configuration?

White Lightening
Old 02-14-2005, 12:42 AM   #64
silveradoman
AF Enthusiast

Well, the system is setup to run on either gasoline or propane, by the flip of a switch, I can be running on propane at 60mph and flip the switch, the truck will loose power like if I let go of the gas pedal, and 2 seconds later you will feel the engine literally "kick in" with the other fuel. The system addons are:

1 OBD II controller PN 5929 from Dual Curve
1 IMPCO mixer
1 IMPCO gas pressure regulator
1 propane filter
1 200 liter gas tank (you can get them smaller, I wanted the autonomy of running 1,500 miles or more without seeing a gas station).
1 Dashboard selector switch
1 fuel sending unit (so the propane gas level will read out on the stock dash fuel gage indicator)
hoses, fittings and bla bla bla.

The OBD II controller will modify the timing and monitor/control the fuel ratio while running on propane, I installed a fuel ratio gage just as a precaution to see if the controller crapped out and I was sending to rich a mixture into the engine, this never happened. Flip the switch and open up the mixer throttle body with the lever (in the picture the switch is behind the lever) to function with gasoline, when I do this the fuel pump in the tank turns on, the inyectors turn on and a shut off valve cuts off the propane. The OBD II controller also bypasses so your PCM will revert the timing back to work on gasoline. On the picture looking into the hood there is a lot of contrast from the sun (lower 60's today, sorry about that you snow buried northeners).
Flip the switch again to shut down the pump & inyectors and turn on the 5929 controller, propane flows thru the shut off valve, goes into the pressure regulator which lowers the pressure from 300some psi down to ONE psi (coolant lines run through the regulator so it doesnīt freeze) and from there it goes to the throtle body thru a 1.5 inch hose to the top of the mixer (serves as a carburator) that replaces your stock housing right on top of the throttle body. The idle mix is controlled in the mixer with a servo and the full throttle mix is controlled on the regulator (you can see the two wire harness going into the regulator).

Fun ainīt it! The last picture I just took it because the cloud over the mountain looked awesome.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:22 AM   #65
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

I have a question... I'm suspecting that my cats are stopping up, but I dunno how to prove it. My mileage has went down over the last few months, even before my tune, and it seeme like it used to have more power....is there any way to make sure they are stopping up before I cut them? This will also make me loose some low-end power if I eliminate them?
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

Old 02-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #66
silveradoman
AF Enthusiast

If you are going to eliminate them, take the whole catback off the truck, and go in through the top of the cat by cutting along the length of the cat and take the guts out, then close it up again. It will pass inspection (theyīll see the canisters) and youīll get the extra power!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #67
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

I don't have inspection here never have, hopefully never will. This is the first vehicle I've left the cats on. I just wanna know if I do cut them off, will my low end torque suffer....I don't want that.
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #68
jzurita
AF Newbie

It seems as though many truck owners in this forum spend hundreds even thousands of dollars modifying their pickup to save a few mpg. Is it really worth it? I am looking at doing some mods to my 2002 Z71 (air intake, exhaust, programmer)...but I am doing it for the extra HP-better mpg will just be a biproduct. How much will you have to save at the pump to recoup all the money spent on improving mpg? Just a thought.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #69
White Lightening
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurita
It seems as though many truck owners in this forum spend hundreds even thousands of dollars modifying their pickup to save a few mpg. Is it really worth it? I am looking at doing some mods to my 2002 Z71 (air intake, exhaust, programmer)...but I am doing it for the extra HP-better mpg will just be a biproduct. How much will you have to save at the pump to recoup all the money spent on improving mpg? Just a thought.
Greetings Jzurita,

I can understand your viewpoint, but I think you may be missing a more important reasoning for fuel savings. When you look at machinery - whether it is a truck engine or a metal lathe or a table saw - the less resistance you have to "spin it", the more efficient it operates. Because it operates more efficiently - it also maximizes its power abilities (within reason). What I think you're seeing by many of the posters here - is they are working at ways to improve lubrication, improve performance, and reduce "drag" issues. All that - shows up in improved gas mileage and improved vehicle longevity in my opinion - and it also gives you better performance.

It doesn't mean the effort is ONLY about saving an extra gallon or two a week (or 3 or 4 or 5) - the MPG is a measuring device also - measuring how efficiently your engine is operating. Take your own engine/truck - find methods of increasing its MPG - and the chances are - it will lengthen the usable life of your engine/truck also.

To put it another way. If I'm "capable" of walking 5 miles a day - and then I work on being able to walk 10 miles a day - chances are - the "ability" to improve will mean I'll be much healthier in the long run. Just my viewpoint.

White Lightening
Old 02-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #70
pwrpapa
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurita
I spent 1000's and still get the same mpg. 11.5
Looks like I have to get a S10.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #71
White Lightening
AF Regular

Anybody hear how the 2005's are for gas mileage compared to prior years? Any technology improvements?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #72
FALCON z

Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightening
Anybody hear how the 2005's are for gas mileage compared to prior years? Any technology improvements?
Crap No, They told me that my new 2005 4.10 rear end would get the same gas mileage as the 3.73. That was bull. I was looking for the average gas mileage when I ran across this forum. I love my truck except the gas mileage. I have a 2005 Silverado z71 4.10 rear end, 5.3L, 4500 miles, stock tires, live on flat land, live in a small town so its not stop and go, and I driver a couple of miles on the interstate daily to go to work and I'm only getting 13-13.6 miles per gallon. Straight HWY no stops 17-17.5. Honestly, I would not have bought it if I new I'd get 13 miles to the gallon. I wish there was a way I could give it back. I haven't read the whole thread but will as time allows. Any helpful advice on improving my situtation would be appreciated. I've thought about putting a K&N air filter in it. Here as pic of my nice looking gas gussler.

Last edited by FALCON z; 03-10-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #73
pwrpapa
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCON z
Crap No, They told me that my new 2005 4.10 rear end would get the same gas mileage as the 3.73. That was bull. I was looking for the average gas mileage when I ran across this forum. I love my truck except the gas mileage. I have a 2005 Silverado z71 4.10 rear end, 5.3L, 7000 miles, stock tires, live on flat land, live in a small town so its not stop and go, and I driver a couple of miles on the interstate daily to go to work and I'm only getting 13-13.6 miles per gallon. Straight HWY no stops 17-17.5. Honestly, I would not have bought it if I new I'd get 13 miles to the gallon. I wish there was a way I could give it back. I haven't read the whole thread but will as time allows. Any helpful advice on improving my situtation would be appreciated. I've thought about putting a K&N air filter in it. Here as pic of my nice looking gas gussler.

Sorry, but there's nothing you can do to improve mpg.that I know of.
Maybe change your gears to 3.42.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #74
White Lightening
AF Regular

GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCON z
Crap No, They told me that my new 2005 4.10 rear end would get the same gas mileage as the 3.73. That was bull. I was looking for the average gas mileage when I ran across this forum. I love my truck except the gas mileage. I have a 2005 Silverado z71 4.10 rear end, 5.3L, 4500 miles, stock tires, live on flat land, live in a small town so its not stop and go, and I driver a couple of miles on the interstate daily to go to work and I'm only getting 13-13.6 miles per gallon. Straight HWY no stops 17-17.5. Honestly, I would not have bought it if I new I'd get 13 miles to the gallon. I wish there was a way I could give it back. I haven't read the whole thread but will as time allows. Any helpful advice on improving my situtation would be appreciated. I've thought about putting a K&N air filter in it. Here as pic of my nice looking gas gussler.

Greetings Falcon z,

I'm really surprised that your Z71 would have a 4.10 axle ratio. That is what they use in the SS because it gives better "redlight" quick-off-the-line performance. It also effects the gas mileage too.

What you can do from present? First thing - you can make sure you have a tonneau cover - as this changes wind resistance. I have a HARD but folding unit (folds to 4 sections) - and it improved my mileage by 2 mpg on the highway. Also my experience is that if you break the truck in properly - you will notice improved gas mileage after the first 5,000 to 10,000 miles.

the thread also mentions a number of other ideas (using slick 50, airhog air filter, premium gas, etc.).

White Lightening
Old 03-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #75
FALCON z

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I check into the things you listed. I think there are quite a few 4.10's running around in the 2005's. When I was told that it would get the same gas mileage as the 3.73 I fell hook, line, and sinker. I did call Cheverolet and they said the truck could break in between 5000-7000 miles. *fingers crossed* But I've heard of one case where it did and he's driveing a Ford now. Just curious doesn't anyone think that me raising my torson bars an inch effected my mpg?

hmmmm.. As a last resort I wonder how much it would cost to change out to 3.42 or 3.73 gears?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado