Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 05:18 AM   #1
arant
AF Newbie

intermittent starting problem

I have a 98 Oldsmobile Regency with an intermittent starting problem. It first started on hot days after my wife left work coming home, and made a stop at the store. When she came out it would not turn over. All electric seemed to be working, AC, windows, seat, radio, but would not turn over. After about 5-10 minutes it fried up. This would happen about once a week, then maybe ever other day. We took it to the shop twice, and got the battery replaced and the starter relay replaced. This morning it wouldn't start. Later it fired up with out a problem, I drove it around. Turned it off then back on, no problem. This afternoon drove to pickup my daughter from work. The car sat for about 45 minutes while I waited, then would not start. After about 10 minutes of trying it fired up and ran fine.
Any one got any ideas what may be happening?
arant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Sounds like a starter.

You can hook up a test light to the starter S terminal (purple wire) when the vehicle is acting up. If the test light lights but the starter doesn't turn..then replace the starter.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
arant
AF Newbie

I don't know what they did, but the service manager told me the starter test ok. The problem is having the car not start while they are checking it out. It doesn't do it consistently, and after 5-10 minutes it starts up.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #4
GMMerlin
I know stuff

The way this circuit works is when you turn the key to the start position, 12volts is sent from the ignition switch yellow wire to the starter enable relay. The Passkey module if it recieves the proper Passkey password will enable the starter enable relay to close by applying 12 volts to the coil side of the relay through the PNP switch (park/neutral switch on the trans). When the relay closes, 12 volts is applied to the starter via the purple wire at the starter.

SO..........if the car acts up and won't turn over, you can check to see if the circuit to the starter is energized by testing for voltage at the starter. if your test lamp lights, but the engine will not spin..most likely cause is the starter is bad....But if the test lamp does not light, then your problem might be in the Passlock system or the PNP switch.

Has your dealer checked for anycodes pertaining to the Passlock system or have you noticed the Security lamp staying lit or flashing when this happens?
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:36 AM   #5
rkujawa
AF Newbie

Re: intermittent starting problem

I am having what appears to be the same problem. I just posted this question in the Silouette section. Did you ever solve the problem?
rkujawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:57 PM   #6
arant
AF Newbie

It was the security system Had to replace the ignition switch and get a new key.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:47 AM   #7
blackdad2001
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to blackdad2001

I had the same problem with my 91 Tornado Trofeo and it was the ignition switch and the key needed to be replaced as well.
blackdad2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
DWM
AF Newbie

New Key/lock

I seem to have the same issues. Are these keys special keys? On my Achieva the key does not have anything for security. When the cars starts fine the extra key made at Walmart works fine. Still looking for the fix.

Don
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:20 AM   #9
arant
AF Newbie

my key has a chip in it. It all had to do with the security system. The hand book for the car actually discribed the delay, if the system thought the wrong key was being used.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #10
auto trainy
AF Enthusiast

Do yourself a favor and replace the switch and keys,I did on my 98 regency and the problem went away.
auto trainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
auto trainy
AF Enthusiast

Forgot to mention (only use delco parts)
auto trainy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > General Discussion