Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:46 PM   #31
GSR2NR94
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to GSR2NR94
Re: 300ZX Drifting Downfalls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SXSlideStar
Basically, it's "who the fuck cares."
Well, last time I checked, people make posts for a reason, and I made this one, so obviously, I CARE.

Anyways, I just love the Z32's all around and I am not going to buy a car that is uncapable of becoming a good drift car. If anyone else comes across some more adds showing the Z32 drifting or something, post them please.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #32
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20

Z32>>>>>>>>>>>240sx

r u serious, i have a 240, i love it...but, the Z32 R a SEAIOUS SPORT CAR! HYCAS, LSD, hella strong BODY! powerful motor, smaller, more nimble, and wayyyy far more intended d for the track then the 240...

no one races the 240.. but the Z, its all over the place !

i LOOOVVVVEEE my 240 but again... the DRIFT stuff is cool, and i bet they car DRIFT the Z, but why? its a matter of publicity, Z32 already have publicity, 240 needs the spot light more then the Z!

E.K.
AWDSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:42 AM   #33
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20

wow, ok here is my post again but in english!

the Z32 R a Serious SPORT CAR! It has HYCAS, LSD, hella strong BODY! Powerful motor, smaller, more nimble, and wayyyy more intended d for the track then the 240...

no one races the 240.. but the Z, its all over the place !

i LOOOVVVVEEE my 240 but again... the DRIFT stuff is cool, and i bet they cane DRIFT the Z, but why? its a matter of publicity, Z32 already have publicity, 240 needs the spot light more then the Z!

E.K.
AWDSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:38 AM   #34
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 300ZX Drifting Downfalls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR2NR94
Well, last time I checked, people make posts for a reason, and I made this one, so obviously, I CARE.

Anyways, I just love the Z32's all around and I am not going to buy a car that is uncapable of becoming a good drift car. If anyone else comes across some more adds showing the Z32 drifting or something, post them please.
I meant, we've discused it for 2 pages, no one seems to know for sure, there's no point discussing it further, unless someone knows the real answer.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
240SXSlideStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #35
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

Just for the record, the GTO Rhys Millen drives doesn't weight 3700lbs like the production one.

It's fully stripped and weighs in just under 3000lbs. GTO's are fairly fat from the factory, but that's mainly cause there is no other option for them. They're all fully loaded. There is no 'premium' package, it's all leather.

Gotta be fair in these discussions.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:11 AM   #36
orestes
AF Fanatic

yeah, that just illustrates how weight is not an issue with the Z. the same can be done to the Z, but you are already ahead 400 pounds.

"I got that hustle in my genes like high blood pressure" -E-40
orestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #37
-The Stig-
On Fire!

300zx's weigh around 3700lbs themselves. They're very heavy. I've had quite a few friends with them and they said with full fuel and full optioned out with leather and what not they're just about 4000lbs.

Which isn't suprising. They're fat. But can be fast.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #38
GSR2NR94
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to GSR2NR94

Wrong. They are about 3350 lbs like someone stated earlier. Not 3700.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #39
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

I asked the same thing before and from what I understand, the steering isn't geared right to allow for enough counter steering to keep the thing from spinning out. (I guess the 240s turn more...I dunno.) That, along with the HICAS trying to keep a drift from happening and the suspention setup in general not really liking it too much to begin with all work together to make the Z32 not the best drift car in the world...I guess. What I don't know is, why don't people use Z31s. I know for a FACT that they get sideways pretty easy...my last Z31, an 86T with a 5-speed trans, would get sideways on dry ground in 3rd gear before I put new tires on it. It was down right horrifying in the rain. They don't have the HICAS, either. I'd think they'd work quite well.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #40
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR2NR94
Wrong. They are about 3350 lbs like someone stated earlier. Not 3700.

Okay, well you can believe that. But I'm going to believe my friend who actually had one. And I still know friends who still have them.

A fully loaded Twin Turbo 300zx will tip the scales over 3500lbs.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #41
orestes
AF Fanatic

i found the other number at another site but this site has it as

2-door convertible: 3446
2-door hatchback: 3299
2-door hatchback (2+2): 3413

so 300-400 pound savings over the GTO. (stock)

i wonder what Millen's GTO actually does weigh in at though.

"I got that hustle in my genes like high blood pressure" -E-40
orestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #42
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

The S2000 steering rack iss garbage for drifting so they swapped in an RX-7 steering rack in Papa's S2k.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
240SXSlideStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #43
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
I might be making a z31 drift car, all I really want to do is some basic springs/struts/brake upgrades/and put in this hicas s13 VLSD if I can ever get it to work in a z31. I don't know what I want to do for power yet, its a non turbo 2 seater, 5 speed, 87 model year..... I could either put another turbo v6 in it, another kind of v6, a v8, or I've been pondering a RB20DET swap and have a usdm 200zr.... that would make a nice drift car I think.
Why make it more difficult than it has to be? The 87-89 turbo Z31s all had R200 clutch type LSDs from the factory. Why try to get another one to work when it has one? As for the engine, again, why make it more difficult than it has to be with a swap? Just get a turbo one and mod the one that's in it. Find a 87-89 one and you'd have your LSD and power problem pretty much licked out of the box...few mods and you're good to go. They're not the most modern engines ever, but they're plenty capable of producing power.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #44
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
only stock turbo z31's have the posi unit, I have a non turbo as stated earlier.
I know that. That's why I said that, if you got a turbo car (87-89 only...84-86 didn't have LSDs...why, I dunno), you'd be killing 2 birds with 1 stone...you'd be solving your power issue and your LSD issue.

Quote:
Putting in a Rb20det is really not harder then putting in a VG30ET to me, I have many tools and lifts...... The V nature of the engine makes a turbo setup odd on it. I like turbo's on straight motors. i know im a fool
Fool, no...yer just special...lol...not really. The turbo system on the VG is one of the simplest out there. No I/C, no fancy twin setup, no blow off valves, no nothing. Just a turbo. Simplicity is grand at times...

Quote:
I didn't know the z31's had a clutch LSD, I thought they were all VLSD's.
Yup...the Z31 came equipped with an R200 (and new ones aren't cheap, either...) clutch type LSD from 87-89. I'd get one off a junk car if I were you...if you can find one...good luck with that. All the Z32s come with VSLDs...that's probably what you're thinking about.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #45
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

The exhaust manifold is pretty straight forward on it and it's all heat shielded (EXTREMELY WELL...taking all that off is kind of a bitch when the bolts have all been...like...welded on...) so it's not TOO bad. They look quite restrictive, though. Going to look into fabbing up a custom manifold cuz the stock ones don't look too good for the flowage.

I guess what it all ultimately comes down to in the end is, work with what you've got. Good luck with it, man!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX