Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
grncivicdhr
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to grncivicdhr
z32 engine swap in s12 v6...

i have some questions reguarding the s12....

1)is it correct that the 88 and 89 200sx se v6's came with the vg30e engine. if so how hard would it be to swap in the vg30de or dett. could i use mounts of a nissan leopard to do this (same case as this swap into an infiniti m30).

2)or is is possible to use either the ca18det or sr20det in this car to reduce weight (stock engine would not matter for this swap, considering if it is easier to do it with one of the stock 4 cyl's). also what was the stock usdm engine in the 4 cyl version of this car, and did the US get the ca18et or just the ca20e? i'm interested in picking up an inexpensive car to turn into a weekend racer for the scca and this seem like an origional cheap option considering i've seen thses cars go for as little as $1500.00.

any help you guys could give would be great, also can you point me in the direction of any good websites reguarding this car?

Last edited by grncivicdhr; 09-18-2003 at 04:37 PM.
grncivicdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
tsi200sx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tsi200sx
I know this is a little out of date, but I'm not on this forum that often.

1)Assuming you're talking about the U.S. Market, which is the only place the 200SX SE V6 was ever sold, they were made in model years 87 and 88. In 89 the 240SX came out to replace the 200. And the engine is the VG30E, rated 165 hp @ 5200 rpm, 174 ft-lbs torque @ 3600 rpm for 1988. The VG30E is really shoehorned into the S12 engine bay, and even a VG30ET will not fit without modifying the firewall. A VG30DE is too wide, and will not clear the wheelwells. Installing one in an s12 would require modifying the suspension and cutting the wheelwells. Same with the DETT.

2) SR20DET swaps have been done, and are pretty straightforward as I understand it. There actually were some late-'88 J-spec S12's that came with the CA18DET, and that swap has been done also. USDM S12's had the CA20E as the base engine for all years (84-88), from 84-86 the upper model had the CA18ET, 87-88 it was replaced by the VG30E model. I have several friends who have successfully turboed their CA20E's.

All S12's EXCEPT for 1984 CA20E cars have independent rear suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes, so they have good autocross potential, the 4-cylinder cars especially handle beautifully so long as they have decent shocks and struts. The V6 cars are more nose-heavy but still handle well. There is not much of an S12 aftermarket, but the members of Club S12 have found several good sources for parts, as well as methods for adapting parts from other cars or fabricating them at home. The forum at Club S12 is the best source for S12 information.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
sishinthin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sishinthin
Vg30de will too fit, I'm in the process (I've kinda changed my mind now and want a vh45de, but I've lowered in a vg30de foam mock-up, height is the main concern, and it's really tight but it clears the strut towers), and a vg30et just requires a custom fabbed crossover pipe to be fabbed, the 300zx one interfers with thefirewall. But www.club-s12.org will definatly get you informed proper.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
grncivicdhr
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to grncivicdhr
thanks for the info, it was very helpful.
grncivicdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
radoublely
AF Newbie

Re: z32 engine swap in s12 v6...

Mine is the only recorded running vg30de s12 in the U.S. that I am aware of, if anyone else knows of another one let me know.

Otherwise, this thread can answer any questions.

A view in the first few stages

More of it

s-13 front suspension used to fit tien coilovers

stock trans mount won't work

where the frame disagrees with the de trans

engine at startup

a full build video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctx2rwbaNWw

Shows complete build to the point before I deployed,

Currently waiting on pain, rollcage,

Mods-
Vg30de, and trans
custom driveshaft
custom headers, intake, exhaust
stage 2 clutch, lightweight flywheel
walboro fuel pump
s13 front conversion
tien coilovers
custom sway bars
there's some more stuff but I can't remember it all....

coming soon-
cage, paint, seats, harnesses, steel braided brake lines, s14 front rotors, cross drilled and slotted.
radoublely is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX