Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '96-'00 Civic
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Metal_Crue
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Metal_Crue
'97 Civic project

Alright, this is my first post here so please be gentle with me.
My dad and I have decided that it might be fun to make a project out of my Civic for my 18th bday/Xmas/graduation present. We both know some about cars and we've replaced the 4 cylinder in my car with another (an identical model) after I blew that one after some water got in through the CAI.
Anyway, the project we've been talking about is to basically upgrade the hell out of the little car.
What we want to put in it is:

1. V6 Engine (reinforced to work well with a turbo, not quite sure what all goes into this)
2. Turbocharger (I've tried researching exactly how to do this and I've come away empty handed)
3. A new cold air intake (I've heard about some with a built in refrigeration system, I have no idea if that's fact or fiction, though
4. A racing chip for the car
5. A new exhaust system
6. A stronger suspension
7. Racing brakes
8. Possibly a 6 speed transmission, but that one's iffy

And that's the *basic* list, without all the smaller parts that would be necessary for it.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to give me and my dad about this project, we both know it will be hard and probably take a while, and I know that just buying a new car with a V6 would be easier, and probably cheaper, but according to my father, that's out of the question.

I also wondered about making it a AWD, but I'm not sure that's even possible with the low ground clearance of the car, and I'm not sure how much that'll cost.

I haven't found any consistent prices for much of what's on this list, and I was wondering if anyone could help me find prices, and basically general advice on what to do/what not to do.
The car is about 12-13 years old and I've driven it hard since I got it 2 years ago, I'm intending on reinforcing most of the frame in general with new welds, and rhino lining the bottom.

Anyway, like I said, I'm new here, and new to cars in general, and I just wanted to know if what I want to do is even feasible, and just some help on finding prices, parts, and things like that.
Metal_Crue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
civic542
AF Newbie

Re: '97 Civic project

Welcome man!
To Start off, a v-6 is going to be a really tight fit and a lot of work to get into your civic. If you want some power, swap your engine with a B18C, this is the engine of an Acura integra GSR. These engines have about 180hp out of the box and are VERY upgradable. I'd throw a stroker kit in it and new valves, springs, and cam shafts. Also look into getting your head ported and polished and your cylinders sleeved.

As for the turbo kit, Turbonetics actually makes turbo kits for Honda engine swaps, so check that out. There will be an intake included with your turbo kit so don't worry about buying one.

One bit of advice I have for you is really watch what you buy. Especially on eBay. Just because something is cheap does NOT mean it is a good deal. One website I have found that specializes in Honda performance parts is http://www.kingmotorsports.com
They may not be the cheapest, but they sell some of the best parts you can get for a Honda.

Anyways, good luck with your project and have fun!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
advice , civic , project , turbocharger
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '96-'00 Civic