Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:36 AM   #31
DSSDOG
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to DSSDOG
Re: Re: S10 2.2L Cuts off while driving, then won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremetrk
The 4cylinder engine in a s10 doent have a distributor. It has two coil packs

Well then it has a Module under the coil pack or mouted nearby dont it lol... (2.2 2.5 2.8) 3 of the worst Chevy motors known to man lol
Old 03-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #32
NovaRod
AF Newbie

Re: S10 2.2L Cuts off while driving, then won't start

The module may be a good call as I've heard about this in other posts, but I'd rather replace the oil pressure switch first because it's much cheaper and I believe it's a higher fix priority.
NovaRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 AM   #33
ndsysv
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: S10 2.2L Cuts off while driving, then won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSDOG
Well then it has a Module under the coil pack or mouted nearby dont it lol... (2.2 2.5 2.8) 3 of the worst Chevy motors known to man lol

Ive tryed every thing but the oil pressure thing. I will get the part tonight. I tried the coil packs and the control mod they worked for 10 mins and this morning left me stranded. Ill reply it the oil sensor works.
Thaks every one this problme has been driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!
ndsysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #34
ndsysv
AF Newbie

Ok guy I just got off the phone with chevy They told me that it cant be the oil pressure witch on the 2.2 because there is not fuel pump cut off switch. Wich confused me cause my oil pressure gauge hassnt been working. They said that the 6cl has the oil and the fuel hooked together but the oil is seprate on the 2.2 and would have nothing to do with the fuel. They did suggest to check the fuel pressure. Ill keep every one updated when I find somthing out.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #35
NovaRod
AF Newbie

ndsysv, you gotta think that if you were in an accident and the engine quit, would you want the fuel pump to keep pumping? If that were the case, what causes the fuel pump to shut down when the engine quits?

I had a 110 GPH electric fuel pump from Holley that I put on my 74 Corvette. The instructions were clear to tie it in with the oil pressure switch so not to leave it running when the engine cut off (i.e. engine off, no oil pressure, therefore no fuel pump operation).

I still think there's something to the oil pressure switch, but you may have a very valid point. Thanks for the update. It has me thinking again!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:55 PM   #36
NovaRod
AF Newbie

I really think this has got to have a common source because of all the S10 owners having this problem (although I maintain an open mind).

I really appreciate the posts as we are starting to get to the bottom of it.

Possible fixes:
1- Oil Pressure Switch
2- Wiring on the fuel pump
3- Coil pack/ECM
4- Fuel Pump
5- Fuseable Links
6- Ignition Switch
7- Crank Trigger
8- Injectors
9- Fuel Filter (good call on this! Causes strange problems on an EFI engine)
10- Bad gas
11- Clutch safety switch
12- Low oil pressure
13- Fuel pressure
14- Possibly other electrical problems that deal with Relays/ignition, etc.

I'd like to see a schematic of the electrical wiring as it deals with ignition and fuel delivery.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #37
bj126821
AF Newbie

NDSYS, take it from someone who had his truck towed 4 times to the dealers and they couldn't figure it out, get a factory oil pressure switch and oil pressure switch socket and change ot out your self, I'm going on 2 weeks and my 2.2 is running fine, no stalling, quiting or acting up and it starts right up every time.
bj126821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #38
ndsysv
AF Newbie

Well wendsday I ended up taking it to my mechanic finaly. I asked him about the oil pressure switch as well and he said not on your truck, only the older ones or the v6 engine. So I left it there and to let him take a look at it and he said it the security system acting up. and that I should shut my door and lock then unlock it and it should start. Well I wasnt very satisfied with that answer even though I did have a security light flashing on my dash. So he had another look and it seems that the person who had my truck before me had an alarm. Well that person removed all evidence of the alarm except the computer and a swich all under the dash we used the switch to reset the alarm and the truck started right up. so mabey my truck just had a differnt problme but Im still a lil nervose about it. But if you have a 98 and up try the lock unlock thing. Its worth a shot I guess. Im not one for fixing new cars and trucks these computers make it a lil difficult. Ill keep every one posted If my truck stars acting up again.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:16 PM   #39
bj126821
AF Newbie

Well I take back everything I said earlier, my strck died on the way home from work last night, cranked it off and on for 5 to 10 min with nothing then it fired up and I drove it home with out a problem, then I got in it this morning and it wouldn't start, I noticed the volts were around 10 to 11 on the meter, about 8 min late it started up and ran fine. So I guess I'm back at square 1!! HELP!!!!!! before I do something to this truck that involves a train of high cliff!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:18 PM   #40
bj126821
AF Newbie

Is there anything in the altenator that could cause this????
Old 03-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #41
bj126821
AF Newbie

does any one know what the resistence reading should be on the fuel injectors for this 2.2 engine???
Old 03-07-2004, 06:25 PM   #42
xtremetrk
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: S10 2.2L Cuts off while driving, then won't start

Did you guys even try to look at your connection near your fuel pump. I had a bad connection at the fuel pump and the grey wire is the 12 volts that goes to the pump. Connect the test light to the wire while its plugged into your fuel pump(strip wire) when you go to turn the key to on, does it light up? If so and you cant hear the pump you have a bad pump. A good way of kick starting your pumps is to hit your gas tank with a rubber hammer under the pump location. Ever since i fixed that problem its been running fine and its been 3 weeks. I dont know why some of these other people are replacing coil packs and spark plugs when they dont even know the problem. Its not worth spending all that money to replace everything when it could be a lousy connection. CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS!!!!!!
xtremetrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #43
NovaRod
AF Newbie

I agree with xtremetrk. Time to check the wires. He got a solid fix with that and the only thing it cost him was some sweat and time.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:36 AM   #44
ndsysv
AF Newbie

Ok my "trusty" truck is messing up again. Dose any one else have thier oil gauge messed up? how about that gay securty light that im not even sure does any thing. I m gonna have a look at it tonight can you see that wire for the fuel pump from under the truck? We gotta figure this out im gonna go nuts!! I got one of those repair books for it but I havent started looking at it yet. Keep me posted!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #45
xtremetrk
AF Newbie

Re: Re: S10 2.2L Cuts off while driving, then won't start

that repair manual had some useful info but wont help you. I bought it but it doesnt supply enough information.
xtremetrk is offline   Reply With Quote