Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
2early
AF Newbie

Battery/Alternator

How long or far would I be able to drive on just the batter alone, without connecting the alternator ? The reason is I have to transport the car and I can't seem to locate a tow operator to go the distance. The reason I can't connect the alternator is because there's a electrical short or open, and I can't find it. With the battery connected and the touch of a wire that connects to the alternator, every time I attempt to connect the alternator, it sparks badly. I don't know what else to do and I have to get my 1967 Pontiac Bonneville off the road before someone steals it.

Thanks in advance.
2early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Battery/Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2early
How long or far would I be able to drive on just the batter alone, without connecting the alternator ? The reason is I have to transport the car and I can't seem to locate a tow operator to go the distance.
It all depends on the reserve capacity and the condition of the battery.

A weak battery will get you going for about 15 minutes, an excellent battery will power your car for an hour or more. Of course, do this in daytime and do not use lights etc.

How far is the drive? Every tow truck driver I have ever met are happy to tow for 10 feet to 1000 + miles, if one has the $$$ to pay the bill. I cannot see them turning down a tow because it is too long or too short.

IMO take along a spare battery and have a buddy drive behind in another car with cables etc, IMO do this drive only if a tow is out of the question. This kind of drive is hazardous because the engine will die with no warning if/when the battery runs out of power. Be very careful about your route. stay on the right side of the road and always have an escape route to pull out of traffic if the engine dies.

If you can, use a deep-cycle RV or marine type battery. They are designed to provide power without a recharge for longer periods of time than a regular car battery.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars