Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Rally
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
flip888
AF Regular

Rally Car Project

Ive been thinking of buying either a 1987 turbo dodge lancer or a 1986 crx si and making it into a rally car. I can get either car for pretty cheap and spare parts are cheap for either, especially the dodge.
As far as power is concerned, I made a turbo system for my friends crx that i can use (mhi 13g turbo, dynod at 220fwhp in his crx)
If i get the lancer turbo, i have a EVO 3 16g turbo with an adapter plate and my friends can build and tune the fuel system for basically free since they specialize in turbo dodges.

For suspension, i would think the crx si is a little bit too low to the ground for off road but on tarmac it would already be close to what i want, and the lancer would probably be the opposite i would guess since its got more ground clearance.

I keep changing my mind from one car to the other, but since i don't have any knowledge on what makes a good rally car (i also searched), i thought i would ask here. i basically want the car that will be the most fun to drive on and off road.
Thanks
flip888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
SigmaProjects
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SigmaProjects
Re: Rally Car Project

that's what an adjustable suspension could offer you. For all out rally you'd want an AWD setup no doubt. FWD meh, never really seen a real FWD rally car. It's no so much about power as it's handling and stability. If you're driving on tarmac only then it's just a road going car, but it's very different if you want to drive fast on loose terrain.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
turtlecrxsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to turtlecrxsi
Re: Rally Car Project

I used to use my crx to haul ass down dirt/gravel/tarmac roads here in the mountains of SC. Needless to say, if I had awd I'd be able to do the same driving with my eyes closed... and that says a lot considering some of the cliffs and switchbacks in some spots Anyway, if you want to have fun with an old 1g crx then it seems more reasonable if you fuck up then trying to rally in an evo crashing and being out so much more money... my .02.

Also, my 90' CRX Si was lowered 1.5" and only scraped the ocassional boulder etc. It was pretty fun...

BTW, the guy who puts together the Cheraw, SC Rally each year used a B16 powered CRX w/ a quaife LSD but finally upgraded to a WRX like every other rally enthusiast...

turtlecrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Rally