Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 11:50 PM   #1
BlackMansWish
AF Newbie

Exclamation About 325i

Hey, i'm going to get a 2002 BMW 325i around May next year. I live in Canada so that's why i'm not getting the 330i(that corners 50k+).
Just wondering if the steptronic is any good.. if the manual clutch is heavy..
also, my colours i might choose are:
Titanium Silver, Topaz Blue, Steel Blue, Steel Grey, Alpine White..
Can anybody help me out with the colours?

Also, in my opinion, i dont rreally like the look of the new 2002's front.. i find that it looks really plain (the two lil foglights and the bumper/apron)
i might purchase an M3 apron from an aftermarket and go to a bodyshop and put it on.. please tell me how you people feel about this..

thanks!!!

j
BlackMansWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:24 AM   #2
325Driver
AF Newbie

I thought I would let you know I just ordered a 2002 325CI in topaz blue. It it the best looking color offered IMHO. Yes, the steptronic is a very good transmission as far as auto trannys go, but a BMW without a manual is a sin in my book. They basically have the manual transmission mastered, clutch feel is superb and the shifter feel is maybe the best in the business. As far as the new front end on the sedans, I myself at first didn't like the new front end styling, however after seeing one in person it grew on me. But as you suggested, the M3 front fascia is always an option. As to how much it costs, I haven't a clue. Hope this helps.
325Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 08:10 AM   #3
tigerirons
AF Regular

I own a 2002 330i steptronic.

The steptronic has three modes. Automatic, sport, and manual.

The automatic has several sub sections each to suit your driving style. The car adapts to how hard you jab down the accelerator and then will either shift at around 2500 RPM for comfortable economy driving or near the redline (5500 RPM) for a much more sporty feel. It can also shift in between.

The sport will raise all shifting points, no matter how hard or soft you press the gas. I would not recommend using sport mode on the highway because it excludes fifth gear. Although it is much more torquey, it gets much worse gas mileage.

The manual mode is a very good way to drive the car. It allows you to have mostly complete control of the shifting of the car. However, the car will not let you start off a standstill in fifth gear, or downshift to first on the highway. (ahhhhhhhhhhh) I use the manual mode normally when I want to pass on the highway, or for very exciting country road driving. The shifting is very easy and only takes about .25 second.
tigerirons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 08:13 AM   #4
JFischel
AF Newbie

Go with the manual tranny!

Glad you decided to go BMW!

I also believe that it's a sin to have a BMW with an auto, but each person has their own needs for a car. Talking from experience, the manual tranny 3-er is a different car all together. My Dad has a 2000 323i with the auto, I have a 2001 325i with the manual. There has been some refinement between the models but essentially they are the same car. My car has much more pep. The manual transmission allows you to really tap into the power that the inline 6 has to offer. The clutch feel in my car is outstanding. It may take you a few days to get used to it because it grabs very early in the pedal movement. The feel of the shifter is also outstanding, I find the spacing between gears and the overall feel to be the best I have ever seen. Compare that to a Mustang, older BMWs, Volkswagon, Audi, Honda...

By the way, I went with Sienna Red, it's a fairly unique color in my neck of the woods. Black leather with the premium package, cold weather package too. The only thing I don't like is the tacky shift knob...Just not my taste.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with!!!

Josh
Old 12-03-2001, 10:07 AM   #5
BlackMansWish
AF Newbie

hey thanx for the replies!
Excuse my ignorance but i'm still not sure about the steptronic.. i thought it only came in sport and automatic..would "manual" be the shifters behind the steering wheel?

I'm really not sure right now whether to get stick or not.. I know the obvious pro's and con's for each but i'm just not sure if i'll get sick of stick.. I live in a fairly busy city that has congested traffic at times so that does play a factor in deciding. Yet i do know how fun manual is and all.. hmm..dilemma hah..

About the shiftknob, i agree w/ u JFischel, i dont really like the knob they give u, but i checked bmw accessories and the silver one looks a lot better imho..

Also, again if anyone has any thoughts about the new bmw's front apron and if changing it to the M3's frontend is a good idea, please reply!

thanks again!

j
Old 12-03-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
my330xi
AF Newbie

Hey, i ordered a steptronic titanium silver 330xi with black interior and will be getting it late january. i also want to get the m3 bumper but don't know if is avaliable in canada or not and it might be quite expensive. i wouuld also like imformation on it. too bad we don't get the aero kit with the sport package. the steptronic has three modes. one is normal automatic. then there is sport mode with change gears at higher rev. and then there is a manual mode which u can change gear yourself. i hope this helps.
my330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 02:09 PM   #7
grunty
AF Newbie

Topaz

Be careful of the Topaz Blue. Best colour, no doubt. Another Forum recons they are cursed. Could be true, someone reversed into mine before it was two weeks old.
grunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:13 PM   #8
EdgarFan659
AF Regular

cursed

Go get the Topaz Blue

But watch out for black cats crossin' your path...

and don't go drivin' your 325 under any ladders.

Grunty, was it a hit and run, or did you actually get to talk to the person that did it and get their name and insurance policy?
EdgarFan659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:43 PM   #9
325Driver
AF Newbie

Man, why did you all have to tell me that. I'm cancelling my order. J/K I was gonna go with the steel grey but that topaz was just to beuatiful to pass up. I'm just gonna have to knock on wood from here on out I guess.
325Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 04:27 PM   #10
grunty
AF Newbie

There's hope

It was a kind of hit and run - The police are involved and I am still hopefull since my neighbour caught the registration number before they drove away.

Still, Topaz is the dog's danglies - looks so cool. Silver ones are sooooo common over here. But I think thats going to change - on the day I picked mine up from the dealer, there were another two Topaz going out.
grunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 04:40 PM   #11
EdgarFan659
AF Regular

Re: There's hope

Quote:
Originally posted by grunty
It was a kind of hit and run - The police are involved and I am still hopefull since my neighbour caught the registration number before they drove away.

Still, Topaz is the dog's danglies - looks so cool. Silver ones are sooooo common over here. But I think thats going to change - on the day I picked mine up from the dealer, there were another two Topaz going out.
Yeah, I totally agree about the Topaz. It's such an awesome color for a car.

Hopefully the police will catch the guy that damaged your car.
EdgarFan659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 04:58 PM   #12
BlackMansWish
AF Newbie

yeah!! topaz was definately one that i was really considering.. It's a sick color!! looks great at night for sure..

About the m3 bumper, my bmw buddy told me that u can order one in canada from aftermarket. says it's a bit over $2,000 plus labour, plus tax, so you're lookin at $3,500?? damn expensive, but it's canada so what can we do haha..

so is the steptronic the same from 1999-2001 model to 2002, or did they tweak the 2002's??? I see the gear shifters ont he steering wheel and all..

as for bmw rims, i plan to change my stock 16"er's to 17" with a five spoke design(star).. wondern approx. how much that would cost?

Also, which cold intake filters go the best with bmw 325i?

Man i'm glad i joined this forum.. helps a lot! thanks!
Old 12-03-2001, 05:25 PM   #13
my330xi
AF Newbie

there is no difference in the steptronic. they only change it to pushing up to change to lower a gear and pulling back to change to a higher gear. last year's model is reverse. u push up to change to higher gear and down to lower the gear. the thing u see on the steering wheel is a different system and is not avaliable in canada.
my330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:33 PM   #14
BlackMansWish
AF Newbie

Oh seroiusly eh.. so it's not available period, or will it be available in the comin year?
Old 12-04-2001, 12:46 PM   #15
2001-325i
AF Newbie

Topaz blue?

Too feminine - go for the Steel Grey.
2001-325i is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series