Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 03:53 PM   #1
fdr8cer
AF Newbie

Question Are ultra high performance all season tires a reasonable compromise???

Does anyone have any experience with ultra high performace all season tires, such as the Michelin Pilot Sport AS? Specifically, how much is dry weather performance compromised vs. Z tires? And is the snow traction good enough to be worth the dry weather performance compromise?

I just purchased a '97 M3 Sedan, which needs new tires. I am about to be relocated to Dallas, which I understand gets a bit of snow and ice, but not a great deal of it.

I am considering buying one set of ultra high performance all season tires, vs. a set of performance plus a set of snows (and rims to mount them on). Obviously, buying the single set of tires saves money, plus the twice yearly hassel of switching between the snows and the summers.

On the other hand, if the dry handling of the UHPAS tires is significantly worse than Z tires, and the improvement in snow traction is minimal vs. Z tires, then obviously the UHPAS would be a total waste of $$$.

If anyone out there has tried UHPAS tires, I'd be interested in your opinion!!!!

Thanks.
fdr8cer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 06:21 PM   #2
328isRob
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 328isRob
Cold icy, snowy weather in Dallas? I wouldn't worry about it. I bought some high performance tires (not all weather) while I was in the mountains of Virginia and didn't have many problems getting around. The biggest problem was getting going with all the power. Turning and stopping was never a problem.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:30 PM   #3
325Driver
AF Newbie

fdr8cer, i think that in Dallas you will be fine with a good set of all seasons for the little amount of snow that the city gets. Yes, your dry weather performance will be compromised slightly, but unless you plan to do autocrossing or heading out to the track a lot then I wouldn't worry about it.
325Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series