Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #46
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Marlboro Yamaha YZR500 quartet

Hi Roca! I've tried the c/f through mesh technique but I think I always get overspray on other parts when trying it on the rather unconform shape of the air box. Like when spraying the outside left air intake I get paint on the inside of the right one...
Could do c/f decal but I think it would drive me crazy...
Thanks for the input though.
/Joel
Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 AM   #47
colbro1973
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist
Hi Roca! I've tried the c/f through mesh technique but I think I always get overspray on other parts when trying it on the rather unconform shape of the air box. Like when spraying the outside left air intake I get paint on the inside of the right one...
Could do c/f decal but I think it would drive me crazy...
Thanks for the input though.
/Joel
I agree Joel, I have never had any luck with spraying through mesh either or womans tights!, I wish I could, as it would be much easier than decalling, if any one has a fool proof method, I would certainly be interested!!!
Col
colbro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #48
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I've tried it with very satisfying results on smaller pieces but this one's too large for me. One ide could be to paint each part of the box separate before assembly. Not many glue lines that are visible anyhow... Could be worth a try on the next build.
/Joel
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #49
rrutherford
AF Regular

Quote:
I've tried it with very satisfying results on smaller pieces but this one's too large for me. One ide could be to paint each part of the box separate before assembly. Not many glue lines that are visible anyhow... Could be worth a try on the next build.
/Joel
Hey you are back Joel, great to see you worked it out :-) I use a film to cover the parts when doing the spray c/f. Its a medical used film for sealing sample jars. very good for stretching and laying over odd shapes. Comes in a roll apx 100mm wide, not sure of name but can send some if you and Roca want, no charge.

Roca, I am a bit worried about you and womens tights/stockings. hope you are using for painting, tich tich lol.

Rod.
rrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #50
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Do you use it as a mesh to spray through or like a masking tape for the parts you don't want paint on? I guess you mean the first, but I'm not 100 %. If you use it as a mesh I'd be very happy to try some out.
/J
Old 04-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #51
rrutherford
AF Regular

Quote:
Do you use it as a mesh to spray through or like a masking tape for the parts you don't want paint on? I guess you mean the first, but I'm not 100 %. If you use it as a mesh I'd be very happy to try some out.
/J
sorry should have been clearer, its used as a mask like tape but much easier to use. unlike tape that never really folds nice and sometimes takes paint off this is really cling and elastic. sometimes I do not even rely on tape to hold film on. then its just a case of putting mesh over parts to paint and bingo no overspray.

:-0 onya
rrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #52
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrutherford
Roca, I am a bit worried about you and womens tights/stockings. hope you are using for painting, tich tich lol.

Rod.

I can't understand you. It is a joke?
Roca.
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #53
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Hi guys!
Doing some fiddly bits and pieces right now, nothing to show really, but soon I'm getting ready to show the completed engines and install them into the frames.

For now I wanted to share the results of a little gadget that some have seen but perhaps some of you haven't.

This circle is from the Crazy Modeler Yamaha M1 p/e sheet. Just paint the outer part of your brake discs and put the circle on top, like this.

I put some clamps around it and paint the inner section. The result follows:

For this particular disc, that has the same color on the inner spokes and the outer disc, I first sprayed the center/outer color. I masked the center off with Maskol and put the CM disc on the outer part and sprayed the middle section. Result is perfect and all that is left is some minor detailing of the rivets.

Happy modeling!
/Joel
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #54
B4RT
AF Newbie

Looking good! I love the way a lot of people build more the one bike/car at a time Keep the updates comingopcorn:
Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #55
jmwallac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi guys!
Doing some fiddly bits and pieces right now, nothing to show really, but soon I'm getting ready to show the completed engines and install them into the frames.

For now I wanted to share the results of a little gadget that some have seen but perhaps some of you haven't.

This circle is from the Crazy Modeler Yamaha M1 p/e sheet. Just paint the outer part of your brake discs and put the circle on top, like this.

I put some clamps around it and paint the inner section. The result follows:

For this particular disc, that has the same color on the inner spokes and the outer disc, I first sprayed the center/outer color. I masked the center off with Maskol and put the CM disc on the outer part and sprayed the middle section. Result is perfect and all that is left is some minor detailing of the rivets.

Happy modeling!
/Joel
That has to be one of the most ingenious parts I've seen. Is that part available separately or is it part of a PE kit? My hands aren't steady enough to get a nice even line for the disc.

jmwallac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #56
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

Oh now that just rocks!! Im working on painting the disks for my Ducati, and its proving to be a very interesting adventure.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #57
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

As far as I know it is just available through the Crazy Modeler P/E set for the Yamaha M1, perhaps also in other CM P/E sets. And yes, it is a great item.
/Joel
Old 04-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #58
ketje
AF Enthusiast

You can also buy this set;

Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #59
Fazer1006
AF Newbie

Hey Joel,
Good to see your still building great bikes but 4 in one go, man, your insane!
I had built the 2001 Yamaha myself & got the Max Biaggi Birthday decals to do!
After a long time off the scene, (lost my mojo ) now got back into building the bikes as well as riding them!
Good to see you using my tip on attaching fairing parts with melted offcuts of sprue, make life easier.
I will post some pics of my own builds soon
Oh, Congratulations on you inpending fatherhood!!
Mark
Fazer1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 AM   #60
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Hi Mark! Thanks for your comments. I had a so so experience with the sprue trick so far but it will get better. Pressed too hard on a few parts when attaching the sprue stick wich made an outward going blob on the cowl. Some sprues fell off, but in total I'd say the tip is a great help.
/J

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes