Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
joeyko2000
AF Regular

Rossi in faith - FIAT YAMAHA YZR-M1 2009

I know I am going to do this sooner or later... but sooner the better here as Tamiya is tracing behind...
Anyway, I know for sure the kit Tamiya going to deliver will be far from Top Studio transkit in terms of details. So it does really hurt too much at all.
Let's have fun here from all those details and crazy wiring~~

I have been checking both 08 and 09 kits on and off. Last night, I have finally decided to kick off seriously. And as soon as I have opened both kits, I have found it too hard to have both kits working at the same time on the same bench. So at the moment let me have the 09 kit first~

Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
NewTom
AF Regular

Re: Rossi in faith - FIAT YAMAHA YZR-M1 2009

very wise choice! good luck mate!
I've started the '08 Catalunya version not so long ago, you are right, would be hard to do both in the same time....
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
joeyko2000
AF Regular

A mini update here to share some of the reference books I have collected for 2009 season. I hope the Pit Walk Collection for 2009 season will be coming soon. (You know, Tamiya has a great deal with the publisher....)

I have modify a little on the frame in a quick look of those photos in these references. I also followed the instruction from the TS kit to remove some of the areas as well.
Here are a couple of quick snap of the frame for tonight.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
desmo77
AF Newbie

You say that tamiya are behind on this kit..

Are they bringing out a kit of this model or other motogp bikes that you know of?.
Would be cool to build some new bikes again.
desmo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
joeyko2000
AF Regular

A quick update over the frame as I have made up some epoxy putty at the inside of the frame to create realism.

Some heavy sanding work is needed afterall. And some minor changes at the frame has also been followed.

Just noticed those bigger holes at both side are relocated at a bit lower position.

After these major adjustment on the frame, I have set things up a little but found the hinge at the swingarm was a bit too wide. Adjustment was made to allow a much proper fitting with the rear fairing.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
joeyko2000
AF Regular

Another piece of update here as I have got a couple of axles and axle nuts from T2M yesterday.

Also, I have started looking into the engine block that I will need to make a few changes as instructed. I guess there has to be even more to do as the 05 ride is actaully 990cc but the 09 ride is just 800cc.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
kans0002
AF Regular

Joey,

You are off to a great start. I will be following this build closely!
kans0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
joeyko2000
AF Regular

As for the front forks, I have thinking about how the holes can be matched as the 2009 joint design was a lot different than the 2005 set.
I am planning to plant some plastic rods and cover it with similar color paint and then with the decal. Hopefully this trick will not be noticible at finish.

Some further work was done here on the chassis and weldings was also added with traditional AFV way.... Anyway, it is now much easier to do it in 1:12 scale than 1:35, LOL~~

Unfortunately, I have got a broken part with the kit, and so I guess I will get a replacement very soon.

I tried to set things up a little to see how the M1 is getting together~

Old 08-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
joeyko2000
AF Regular

Some updates on this. I have the full cowlings up on the frame now. I am amazed with the fact that only 2 screws are strong enough to hold them firmly.

Like the previous 2004 M1 a couple of years before, I have decided to give this ride a workable chain. Again, the TS chain set is employed here.

I know this chain sets have already been widely used. Anyway, just a couple of ideas of mind that I think will be useful for new-hands to get it started. One of my ideas is to make use of a couple of very small document clips to hold the stand. With the clips in use, I will be able to skip using any glue in the whole process. Also, with a couple of hammering, the PEs start to bend, and the clips help to hold the PE tight, making sure the little tiny pieces don't fall off thougth the bending gaps.

Another idea that I think woudl help, is to... not to lock the screws at every single step with the nuts, in order to avoid movements that give chances to let the tiny pieces go out of place. With the help of clips and the fact that the PE stacking will hold the screws tight enough.

At roughly 150mm, the chain is not done and this time at a quite satisfactory length.

As the most troublesome item is now done, I can move on to other parts of the ride. And hopefully After the next round of fitting, some paint work can be started.

Talking about paint work, I am a bit serious about the blue with the Fiat livery. In the light of this, I have started a R1 simply for color test.

A very very quick pre-assembly was done in just one night. However, as I realise there are plenty of parts left behind from the M1 kits, I think I am able to put some of them onto this R1 to make it a little customised.
A striaght forward idea is to implant the exhaust. The original one works like this.

And after some fitting, the M1 exhaust has been fitted.

These are how it goes so far, the cowlings has already been primed and paint work will be done soon.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
joeyko2000
AF Regular

Getting started with the paint job now.
This will be a really fast run as the main concern over this R1 would be the blue color.
I came across a R6 with Lorenzo livery some weeks earlier near a beach. So I headed to the same idea for now.... (I have to claim myself a super super Rossi fan in the first hand....XD but Lorenzo has simply been unstoppable all 2010 season!)

Straight forward paint job, Gunze #33 flat black + some bit of #8 silver as touch up.

The cowlings have been sanded and smoothened for a couple of nights. But finally came into shape for paint.

Gunze GX-1 white as base, topped with a mixture of GX-1, GX-100 clear and a some tiny bit of Alcad II #105 to give a fine metalic/pearl effect.
I know it should be pearl white, but I just ran out of pearl paint and would like to move on quick. So I decided to proceed with the custom mix anyway....
Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
joeyko2000
AF Regular

Painting in action~
Finally got the blue running out.
This color in the picture is a custom mix from my friend.
I have tried the Finisher Sea side blue and Sparkling blue as well. It looks like Sparkling blue would be a better match. But I have to test further with how to get the color right when I spray. Maybe I will have more tests before I actually paint the M1.

Anyway, the blue on this R1 is set and I have moved on with the decals. A very light clear coat has applied after the decals have settled.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
kans0002
AF Regular

very niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee
kans0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
davesans
AF Enthusiast

Great work so far I have the same kit with the Top Studio trans kit in my to do pile so I will be following with great interest.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
joeyko2000
AF Regular

Another week passed and I have got the cowling wet coated with Gunze GX-100.
Then I have prepared the chassis and machines painted. Simple enough that I have just spent a day to work on them.
Anyway, I hope I will have the energy to polish the cowling in the cokming weekend than I will have this R1 done and move on with the M1 again.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
joeyko2000
AF Regular

Here is a little update.
The R1 has been polished and little stuffs are all sticking onto it now. These has finally completed the converted R1 with the M1 exhaust pipe.

At the same time, I have also got the M1 working with the cowlings. Gunze GX-1 base and pearl coat from Ricebox was primed. Everything is very simple until the blue color has yet to be confirm.

However, one of my dear friends has managed to pull out a bottle of blue color that match exactly the same as all the reference I can get. Hopefully this will be available for all M1 fans and Rossi and Lorenzo fans later on.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes