Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #46
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Custom Bike Project

These are the really funny steps! Should I cut there...or there?? haha, great start Tom, let's see more!
/j
Old 10-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #47
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Very good Tom,

With all those pictures I will be able to determine if the body I'm making will join that frame.

Please take measurements of the 3 views of the last thre pics in order to let me see if the body is on the good way.

Roca.
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #48
Tombag
AF Newbie

This project has been dormant for a little while. I finally found some time to put a big push on it recently so here are a few pics of the "progress". I've maintained throughout that I'm no good at modelling but will still give it my best shot, this is evident in the quality of my work which I'm not entirely happy with but all I can do is continue trying!

Filling the holes on the brake discs was tricky! This was my very first experience at using Milliput or any sort of putty, it's proving to be a useful tool.

I admit I got lazy, rather than face the task of trying to make the brake discs smaller I simply enlarged the space behind the caliper. I've since done the other fork as well.

I did a little test with the frame, the footpeg brackets holding everything together are totally inaccurate however. It's such a large aspect that is one thing I can't skip over detail-wise, I tried making a correct version and failed miserably so hopefully Roca is going to come to my rescue on that one.

A few bits here; The battery was too wide to begin so I'd already chopped it in half and re-combined it with glue and putty by this point. I painted it then decided it was too short, I added a couple of styrene layers to the bottom and was quite pleased with how neat it turned out. Now I just need to paint it... Again. The silver part is a battery holder I made which attaches to the engine where the starter motor would be on a standard road version of the Daytona / Centauro.

The brake discs looked as if the putty had worked well but you can see here the holes are still slightly evident, there's not a lot I can do now so it's a shame but I just have to keep giving it my best.

There are some other pieces which I'll take photos of soon, the engine is pretty much done now and the decal sheet design is literally one reference image away from completion. Although I'm tempted to post an image of that out of pride I'll wait until it's final!

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by Tombag; 05-16-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Tombag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #49
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Nice to see that you are doing some progress! I would have a second go at those discs. It doesn't matter that you've painted them. Try to dillute some putty with acetone and fill the holes again. Putty always sinks a bit when first filling holes like that. Try and add a bit too much putty and then sand it off when dry.
/Joel
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #50
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
Nice to see that you are doing some progress! I would have a second go at those discs. It doesn't matter that you've painted them. Try to dillute some putty with acetone and fill the holes again. Putty always sinks a bit when first filling holes like that. Try and add a bit too much putty and then sand it off when dry.
/Joel
I normally use a mixture of super glue and baby powder. This will dry fast and the baby powder will make sanding much easier.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #51
Tombag
AF Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys, here are some more updates.

The battery holder is now attached to the engine as you can see. I used aluminium foil for some metal belts but it was hard to cut and apply without creasing. There is still a few things to be done but it's most of the way there.

I picked up an Onyx 1:12 F1 Andrea DeCesaris helmet a while ago, after stripping the decals I added additional parts using putty. This has been primed white although slightly messily and needs to be sprayed white. I thought it would be nice just to place it on the seat as a little extra once the model is completed.

I made these plates from styrene and they go onto the frame with a set on either side. The left hand side also has a datalogger attached.

This is a little fuel pump I made, taking a part from the 250 kit I shortened it and rounded the edges before adding wire for attaching hoses. The radiator will probably be the next part modification in the project.

There are still some things to be added to the decal sheet but it's nearly there and I'm feeling very proud of it!

Last edited by Tombag; 05-16-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #52
Tombag
AF Newbie

Hey all!

I realise it's been almost a year since my last post, there has been progress on this project but not loads... Whenever I get time I have been chipping away and sorting out bits and pieces, work and life in general have been a huge hindrance however.

One of my main problems was the footpeg bracket, small and intricate I had nothing that was a suitable base so scratch-building was the only real option. Here my skills began to let me down, there was no way I could make the part and getting it made by other means would be costly. Then one day at work a friend showed me some stuff he'd had laser cut for a toy prototype and it all became clear.

Long story short I drew up my bracket in Illustrator and got on to this company: http://www.3d-create.co.uk/HTML/laser_cutting.html They're actually quite small and were very accommodating. Cutting is charged at £15 per 30 minutes with a 30 minute minimum. I made duplicates to play around with in case I screwed up one or two pieces, as long as it didn't pass 30 minutes of cutting then why not?! £15 down and my problem was solved! The pieces were made using 1mm sheet which I think is the lowest they go to, done on an off-cut the material cost was complimentary too

Design:

Final Parts:

So in other news; The decal sheet STILL has not been printed. I've been waiting on one last reference image to finish up the last piece but apparently it's not meant to be. I should really try to take some more pictures as the engine, exhaust / silencer, radiator, front and back ends have all seen some degree of progress. The problem is that I'm working tomorrow and the next day will be flying to Mumbai on business not to return until mid-March.

Hopefully when I get back home I will have something more to show you guys!

Tom
Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #53
Tombag
AF Newbie

After some time away from home I've made some slight progress but also some backward steps. Every time I attempt to work on the bike something else goes wrong or I just get overwhelmed by the amount of things that need doing which I have no expertise for. Either way, here's an all encompassing picture of where things are at:

It looks like I'm going to be going away again shortly so things will probably continue to halt however once back hopefully I'll be fresh to have another stab!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #54
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Nice to see an update Tom. Any chance you can replace some of the older images in your library links, as they are now missing from the previous thread pages!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #55
Tombag
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
Nice to see an update Tom. Any chance you can replace some of the older images in your library links, as they are now missing from the previous thread pages!
Cheers, when I get a moment I'll definitely sort all the older images out.

Edit: The thread is now fully updated right the way back to the project start!

Last edited by Tombag; 05-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #56
Shami khan
AF Newbie

I suppose you be able to at rest hand twist your tubing and no spare apparatus are compulsory.
Another to Tamiya metallics possibly will be Testors Metalizers. as well given that I've only in recent times academic with reference to Tamiya metallic paints creature introvert from the Europe.
Shami khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #57
Tombag
AF Newbie

Although this project did lose steam, I hope to pick it up again one day but possibly by someone else's hand rather than my own. In the meantime, I finally got the Britten battle race uploaded!

http://youtu.be/McnjxoBQ6TQ

Enjoy!
Tom

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes