Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Dukester111
AF Newbie

number of miles obtained on a 3 cylinder

What is the most miles a 3 cylinder Geo Metro has successfully lasted? Can I hope for 400,000 miles on a 2nd owner which has been using synthetic oil for most of it's life?

Last edited by Dukester111; 05-04-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: xtra words not necessary
Dukester111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: number of miles obtained on a 3 cylinder

i have had several with over 200k but usually a valve will eventually burn but its not real expensive to have the head rebuilt or buy a rebuilt head and install it on the engine
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Dukester111
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply about the problems associated with a lot of miles on a 3 cylinder engine.
The rebuild of the head is a great idea. Would there possibly be a bottom end rebuild needed as well or is it usually the top end only ( under normal wear and tear) w/o a rod knocking noise? Thank you for taking your time to help me..Thanks a lot!!!
Dukester111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Crvett69
AF Moderator

if your not using a lot of oil or having a rod knock can usually just redo the head. compression test will give you a idea of what shape the rings and valves are in
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
MikeCStig
AF Regular

If you take good care of it, run top of the line oil (there are some that are specially formulated for high mileage engines.) and run premium fuel, it's entirely possible to get half a million miles out of most engines. Being Japanese built gives that engine an advantage as well.
However, why you would want to keep such a miserably gutless (65 hp or so) engine alive for so long is beyond me.Having driven a metro with the same engine once myself(literally once; through town, on a couple hilly back roads, a brief stretch of interstate totaling about 50 miles), I'd rather be locked in a closet full of angry hornets AND shell out the extra gas money to fuel a proper engine, but that's just me.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
jcnspots
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester111 View Post
What is the most miles a 3 cylinder Geo Metro has successfully lasted? Can I hope for 400,000 miles on a 2nd owner which has been using synthetic oil for most of it's life?
Mine went 275k on the original engine; rebuilt one installed then and it's now up to 383k.
jcnspots is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro