Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Ken Block's 2014 Ford Raptortrax

I'm putting this under the Motorsports section cause it's not a Muscle Car/Hot Rod, and it's definitely not a street machine, and since it's used for winter sports I'm gonna put it in the Motorsports section.

Since seeing this thing back in 2014 I've been wanting to build one

As you can see, no tires. This beast runs on Mattracks tank style tracks like these

Starting point, Revell's extremely nice and well detailed Ford Raptor Snapkit.

First step, some body mods. Front bumper and rear roll pan removed.

Tailgate removed too..

Next, I started on the chassis, since there's no tires, I dont need the spare under the box so out it comes.

I'm in the process at the moment of removing the exhaust beyond the rear axle, and hollowing out underneath it so it "floats". All the removed areas will be filled in with some plastic card.

I ordered the tracks from Shapeways, they're in production right now and hopefully will be here by the end of next week. Here's a shot of the design.

Paint will likely come from Gravity Colors, they wont be exact, but I can live with that. Decals will be a mix of what I have from the parts box and probably a set of Ken's rally decals off ebay.

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

David
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Shunter2402

Re: Ken Block's 2014 Ford Raptortrax

Great idea and so far looks like you are on track...
Shunter2402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Awesome build! Ive wanted to do something very similar too!!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Stubeck
AF Newbie

Mind if I ask how much the parts are from Shapeways? Maybe I'm quoting stuff incorrectly, but stuff always comes as super expensive from them.
Stubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubeck View Post
Mind if I ask how much the parts are from Shapeways? Maybe I'm quoting stuff incorrectly, but stuff always comes as super expensive from them.
These were abit on the pricey side I guess. With shipping and exchange to Canada I paid about $58. I saved abit of money using the option that allows Shapeways to process it when they're slow, so I was originally quoted as having the order done and shipped by Nov. 17th, but they processed it in like 3 days, guess they werent overly busy. By doing that I saved about $12 US.

I personally dont mind the cost, I dont smoke anymore, I hardly drink anymore and I'm on a diet and my intake of junk food is way down. So my hobby is my only vice that I spend money on atm. If I go to a movie its 20-40 bucks if you take someone. Sporting event, professional....stupid amount of money.....so 60 bucks, not that much really.

Also I think the designers can set a price, then Shapeways factor in their costs for a total. For example, some of the accessories for this build I'm gonna order from Shapeways later on, one item is a storage container for the roof rack, its really nicely detailed and its pretty large, cost...$13 CDN. Not bad. I also need 4 snowboards, there is a really nice design by a guy and the cost is $17 US each.....so that's $68 for 4....way too much money IMO.

I might just take some time and see about designing things myself, and see if it'll be cheaper. I know there are guys that can do this, I just need to sit down and focus on trying to design something and see how it turns out.

David
Old 11-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Stubeck
AF Newbie

Makes sense! I had submitted a part to them, and one of the pieces was going to cost $100, more than what you get for the entire device on ebay, so thats a lot more reasonable than I was expecting.
Stubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Shapeways parts arrived yesterday.

Tracks.

And a mock up under the truck. Note the truck is sitting high, I just tossed a box under it to see how they'd look scale wise. The whole thing will sit lower once I make up some mounting pins.

More to come this weekend I hope, but with winter coming, I got some things to do outside while the weather's still someone decent.

Comments and criticisms appreciated.

David
Old 11-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
darkknightlives
AF Newbie

if the real truck has no sunroof, remember that Raptors with no sunroof have a sculpted of in that area with little valleys, the pic isnt a raptor but you get the idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0336.jpg (355.4 KB, 11 views)
darkknightlives is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkknightlives For This Useful Post:
griffin-gt40 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Great progress. I will follow this one as I always wanted to do something similar except using 1/35 tank tracks. Keep us posted, shapeways tracks look sweet.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightlives View Post
if the real truck has no sunroof, remember that Raptors with no sunroof have a sculpted of in that area with little valleys, the pic isnt a raptor but you get the idea
Thanks. I know about the roof lines, I have a 2006 F150 XLT Crew Cab and the shells are the same or almost identical up till like 2015. The issue is I'm not sure if the Raptortrax has a sunroof or not. I have an interior shot that shows the suede covering they put in as a head liner that covers the entire roof and the rollcage. I also have another pic of the outside of the truck that shows the roof and under the roof rack it kinda looks like there is a sunroof. I'm not at the computer that has to pics so I'll post them in my next update for opinions.

Either way, I'm leaving the sunroof in. Once built, the roof will be covered by the roof rack. I'm not going for 100% accuracy, just building it to get the look and feel of the real truck I can live with a few minor differences here and there.

David

Last edited by griffin-gt40; 11-07-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

Great project!
Don't forget to remove the flash on the wiper area. Most people just dismiss it.
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Small update.

Sorry for the blurry pics, I'll retake some later and repost.

Mocked up with the tracks in place. I made some locator pins that fit into the stock brake rotors, not 100% accurate, I know, but I can live with it.

And from the side.

More later tonight, I hope.

David
Old 11-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
indy1977tx
AF Regular

Looks great so far, keep it up!

Jordan
indy1977tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

this looks pretty awesome. Is this something you designed yourself, or are those available on shapeways to buy
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #15
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
this looks pretty awesome. Is this something you designed yourself, or are those available on shapeways to buy
No, someone else designed them in 1/87th scale. I just contacted them and they scaled them up to 1/25th for me.

Here's the link.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z6...ks-front-1-25?
optionId=61012289

Small update. Been a busy week, no real work done but I got some more parts in from Shapeways. Four (4) Recaro race seats and a roof rack that will be attached to the roll bars. I can start on those now that I have the rack in to make sure I get the width right.

The seats in the cab will be raised up, they're just sitting on the floor atm.

More to come this weekend I hope. Weather's suppose to get cold, good weekend to build.

David

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports