Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-5/ Miata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
Dweezil6969
AF Newbie

Rotary MX-5?

Anyone know what it takes to put a 13B or a 20B in an MX-5? i have a friend with a `91 that wants to do one. he really want's the 3 rotor, if any one knows where to find info on that.
XceedSpeed.com, MichiganCivics.com, and Zilvia.net
Dweezil6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
ryan45845
AF Regular

sorry i dont know where you can find info on it.....good luck looking i do however remember way back readin in one of the import magizines of someone doing it so yeah its possible.....thing is money...........with the right amount of money you can get any engine into any car...but theres a point where its just not workin....i dont know about what this would cost but it he does it and its cheap keep us all posted.....

there are rumors that the next generation will be getting the rotary in them......there also supposed to be based on a shorter RX8 cant wait
ryan45845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
esco
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to esco
yes its highly possible and has been done countless of times, do searches and you'll find rotary clubs with rx-7's and miata rotary clubs. Also there are numerous of miatas that have the 5.0 engine in them, although I think its a waste of time cuz, a tubro'd B6 with forged pistons and rods and tuning will get you faster times than a 5.0, B6's are fairly strong motors, I'd say turbo is the way to go.
esco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:08 AM   #4
darkcity
AF Newbie

RX7 engines are notorious for exploding though...maintenance and reliabilty is a nightmare. As much as I'd want the sound of that rotary in my car, a 5.0 would be the way to go for reliability reasons.
darkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #5
esco
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to esco
well the only problem that I see with rotaries is heating, the reason why they heated up so much is becuase of the turbo's. With proper cooling I have seen rotaries run reliably for thousands of miles. Also the fastest miatas aren't 5.0 powered, they are B6 powered, forged internals and an intercooled turbo kit and some tuning has gotten miatas into the low 11's- high 10's with street tires, so really the 1.8L miatas have huge performance potential, I don't see myself dropping in a 5.0 when a B6 can be powerful enough.
esco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
Dweezil6969
AF Newbie

Thanks, my friend finally decided to go 1.8 BP with a 6 speed.
XceedSpeed.com, MichiganCivics.com, and Zilvia.net
Dweezil6969 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-5/ Miata