Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 08:48 PM   #1
BlkBltJames
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlkBltJames
Question Newbie wants a car....

Ok, My names is James, and i have a 93 Pontiac Sunbird. Well the poor thing is just about give out. So I am looking into buying a new car. It doesnt have to be a "carlot" kinda new, just "new to me" kinda new. Now, I am not what you would call, a "car enthusiast." YET. This may seem like a REALLY STUPID reason to get into cars, but it did. Last week i watched Gone in 60 Seconds, and this weekend i watched The Fast and the Furious. Now i know a bunch of you die-hard fans would probably rather run someone like me over, but it has brought me into the great world of cars.
So now, I am looking into buy and modifying a sweet little jewel of my own. But I know what some of ya'll are thinking, "this loser wants to all of a sudden buy into a car and not care anything about it or learn anything either." Well, that's not the case. I am doing my homework. Trust me. I am looking for a car that already has some power to it. Much like the new Toyota Celica. But also has a great look. I am just starting out learning about what kind of cars do what and what they look like, and what kinds are great buys, so please offer any information you can about car buying. I not looking into any kind of old muscle car of anything like that.
I am also interested in the Honda Civics.
Thank you for you time and please relay any info you can about first time buing tips and stuff like that.
-James
BlkBltJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 03:43 PM   #2
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
If you get a Civic, get a previous generation, teh new ones suck for driving.

THe Celica is good, in GT-S mode because of Variable Valve timing. How about a Camaro/Firebird/Mustang, they are hella fast.
Just shop around, and ask some high-performance shops what are good. VW's offer good fun, for a price. This year they are getting more powerful and extra gears for the manual and automatic.

May I suggest driving a

WRX

from Subaru. They are absolutely amazing. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Just get a body kit, a bigger turbo and intercooler, and bam!, Awesome.

Anything else you want to know, ANYTHING, just ask here.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:52 PM   #3
Chris
Oldie

May I suggest an 1990-96 300Z from Nissan. The turbo'd ones have 300hp, and are pretty cheap. Stillen can make yours into a 700hp monster, or anything in between, too.

more to come....
Old 09-18-2001, 01:17 AM   #4
Cavallino
AF Enthusiast

In all honesty if you're looking for somthing fast and furious id steer away from Civics. I hate to say it because im a hardcore civic fan. Crashed one into a blazer, flipped it, went out and bought another but thats aidffertn story. Civics take alot of work to make them fast. This includes getting rid of the civic engine and putting in somthing a little bigger complete with dual overhead cams (cause you're gonna need em for the big turbo you'll need) SO if you are looking at a civic then id suggest going for an older one that you dont pay alot for because the engine will go anyway. Whatever you do DO NOT place clear tail lights on it or put a big H decal on your rear windshield. They look tacky.
Cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 11:08 AM   #5
Chris
Oldie

I have seen Civics with 50 grand put into them. Underneath it all, its still a civic, not a ferrari, not a vettte, not a porsche, a CIVIC, which was built for old people of poor young people. Thats my opinion.

For that much, get a vette, firebird, mustang, camaro, RX-7 (its japanease).

Oh, Ooh, how about a dodge stealth, get a good used one. They have 320 twin-turbocharged horsepower, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, and they are awesome. Check one of them out.
Old 09-19-2001, 03:00 PM   #6
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

may i suggest a Acura RSX type-S, 200hp, i-vtec, 6-speed!!, standard leather, heated seats, bose system with 6-CD changer <--- all stock

just a suggestion but that's what i'd go for... it's a really good start for modding and it's not all played out yet, not many people have them
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 12:00 PM   #7
Chris
Oldie

Some REALLY good advice: Start with something that was designed for sporty driving from the get go. Civics werent. An RSX was. A stealth was. A SE-R was.

If you find a car you like, just ask us for our opinion
Old 10-01-2001, 02:12 PM   #8
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Buy something you can pay cash money for.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 11:42 AM   #9
Chris
Oldie

Quote:
Buy something you can pay cash money for.
What other kind of cash is there?? cash BALONEY?? Cash TABLES??? I'm just jokin, bu tit is kinda funny.

Or an after 1992 RX7 with the Turbo.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:03 PM   #10
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
I happened to like those two movies so I am not going to razz ya'.

Anyhow I think that most of the cars listed already are great cars to tart with.

The Subaru WRX, now I like Mopars and they used to turbo charge their smaller engine cars. They don't at all anymore, which is stupid, to me anyhow. I feel it should be an option. I have to praise Subaru for putting a turbo on the WRX. Though I am not a big fan of the looks of this car.

The Dodge Stealth, I love mine. It puts out 350HP and close to 400ftlbs.
Good looking car with great handling. Fast too.

Nissan Fair Lady, here is another fun twin turbo car to drive.

Toyota Supra, once again twin turbo fun. I think you can tell, I like turbos.

The Acura NSX, off the lot this a pretty quick little car. I like the styling. One even gave my LeBaron a run for the money when it was stock. Not anymore though.

Or maybey you could rebuild yourself a late 60's early 70's muscle car.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 01:14 PM   #11
Chris
Oldie

What mods does your stealth have??
Old 10-23-2001, 01:18 PM   #12
Polygon
The Red Baron

I put an entire new intake on it. Replaced the entire exaust, which was more for the fact the old one was rusting, Centerforce clutch, replaced the turbos, among some cosmetic changes.

I am looking for a chip for it but it is proving difficult. There are some other mods that I want to put on it, but cash is a wee bit low.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:40 PM   #13
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

lol, have you seen the seinfeld when george gets tricked into buying a LeBaron?? cause he thought that John Voight owned it.. haha
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:08 AM   #14
Chris
Oldie

Dont forget the one where Jerry cant give his (stinky) BMW away, and a bum ends up getting it! That is priceless
Old 10-24-2001, 01:02 PM   #15
Polygon
The Red Baron

Or when Jerry's mechanic steals his Saab because Jerry is "misstreating it." Ah, priceless.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A