Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
m111
AF Newbie

It feels like i'm pressing on a pedal with a brick on the back.

The brake pedal will travel a certain distance then stops moving, feels like it hits a wall. The car will slowly come to a stop. What I have done to help, is tap on the brake pedal, then push down as I would normally do, and it works fine, car will come to a normal/quick stop. What do you think id the problem?
Another problem, when the road is wet or snowing, when I hit the brakes (for quick/panic stop), it seems like the brake would initially compress, then release even though I am pressing with full force. The brakes seem to apply pressure once per wheel rotation. The pedal will noticeably push back, and after maybe 4-5 wheel rotations, the vehicle will come to a stop. Its not the pulsating feeling wen ABS is activated.
m111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Re: It feels like i'm pressing on a pedal with a brick on the back.

What year and mileage? When was the last time you had any brake work? It could be anything from the brake booster to a sticking seal. Let us know.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesslcx For This Useful Post:
m111 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
m111
AF Newbie

2001 with 123000 miles. Brake pads and shoes replaced about 2 years ago. Everything worked fine till recently. On wet roads, I am thinking if the vehicle senses the wheels will lock up, ABS should activate, but instead, it seems to release the brake pressure.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Abs light on? Usually a hard brake pedal indicates either a bad master cyl, brake booster or sometimes even bad brake lines.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
m111
AF Newbie

James, thanks for your input. I am taking the van to PEP Boys this morning for a brake inspection. I will let you know what they suggested.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
m111
AF Newbie

PEP Boys claims I need to replace both wheel cylinders, shoes, left side brake caliper and pads. $740+tax. I wanted get a 2nd opinion, and possibly do the work myself by way of youtube and Eric the Car videos etc. I bought 2 Dormans wheel cylinders for $15 each. I checked with a local repair shop.....185+tax for labor only to replace both wheel cylinders.
I wanted to take a look for myself and revoed the rear drums. The driver side wheel cylinder is leaking, not the passenger side. I noticed the nuts on the wheel cylinders are pretty rusted, but the new one did not come with any. Kind of weird.
I am planning to use a long nose locking pliers (with rubber sleeves) to squeeze off the brake line. I hear the line could collapse. Is this a real possibility?
Regarding the wheel cylinder....if the left side is bad, wouldn't the van pull to one side when braking. Also the pads are fairly evenly worn so I dont think it needs replacing.
I appreciate any feedback.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

m111, that's a lot of money for them to fix a problem that you are capable of doing. I've always heard to replace the pads or shoes when a wheel cyl. is leaking because it damages the lining but sometimes I take brake cleaner and clean them real well. Replace those wheel cylinders in pairs though.Yes it is possible for a brake line to collapse on the inside, if the rest of the work doesn't fix the problem I recommend replacing the brake lines if they have been on the vehicle for a long time. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
m111
AF Newbie

Thanks James. After replacing the wheel cylinders and bleeding all 4 lines, the brakes are really soft, and travels further. A few days later, I bled them again, starting the furthest from the MC, but same problem. I have to tap the brake pedal, then press the brakes to stop the van...really frustrating. When I slam the brakes (like a panic stop), the pedal seems to hit a wall/brick and only slows down the van.
With the vehicle turned off, when I pump the brakes, it builds pressure.....when I start the van, the pedal drops, which I believe is normal.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
m111
AF Newbie

Hi all,

I apologize for the late response. I noticed the pads were wearing unevenly. I replaced the disc pads, and the driver side caliper bracket because of a stuck slider pin, and the brakes are working great. I cant believe it was that simple.

Thanks you all for your help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna