Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

XOTech, what do you know about this car?

I saw some pics of this Mclaren on another board I visit and I was wondering if you knew anything about it. aparently it was parked on the street for 3 weeks without an owner

Old 11-28-2002, 12:34 PM   #2
JE123
AF Enthusiast

Re: XOTech, what do you know about this car?

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboarder
[b]I saw some pics of this Mclaren on another board I visit and I was wondering if you knew anything about it. aparently it was parked on the street for 3 weeks without an owner [b]
Are you serious? Who would leave a McLaren sitting for 3 weeks? They don't deserve to have the car.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:18 AM   #3
XOTech
AF Regular

Mystery McLaren

Sorry for the slow response, I do know of several cars in the Florida area. It could be one of 3 cars.

For me to be certain of whose car it is, when were the pictures taken and what city? I would guess that the picture of the gentleman next to the car would be you or a friend posing by the car. Am I correct?

I will post what I find.

Offerings of the Ferrari F50, Enzo to the 250 GTO, Lamborghini 350GT to the Murcielago, Jaguar XJ220 and XJR-15 to the Mercedes CLK GTR, Porsche GT1 and Carrera GT, Bugatti EB110 and Veyron and everything in between.
And of course, the McLaren F1. Anywhere worldwide.
XOTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
naturalvx
AF Newbie

That car is from Sarasota, there is an owner there who has 2 of them, both silver I believe. One of the cars was for sale in DuPont a few years back. I can't remember his name. What street is that on ? I would love to personally go take a look at such a work of art in such a poor situation.
naturalvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:15 AM   #5
arichards
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to arichards
that's in sarasota, license plate... shit almost makes me wanna go drive and find it...that's a million dollar car, who the fuck is that stupid? you dont park that shit outside...and on an open street? wtf!!
arichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #6
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
hmmm, odd that it would be out there for so long. Also, look at the bacground, the car is worth more than the block! I got family in Sarasota, wonder if the guy lives near them????

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:47 PM   #7
arichards
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to arichards
This is a total anomaly, I live about 35 minutes from sarasota, I go there frequently to party! and I'll tell you what, I'm not a thief, but i'd be half tempted to try on that one
arichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:49 PM   #8
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Yes, something is very fishy about that situation... either three weeks was an exaggeration, its a joyride victim, or part of a car theft sting operation. Or not:o
Old 01-19-2003, 08:26 AM   #9
Scott 02
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Scott 02 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott 02
lol, agree with you arichards. Who the heck would park something that expensive out on the open streets?? I would be tempted on taking that car myself if i lived near. J/K would be hard to hide a Mclaren F1 and get away with it
Scott 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:11 AM   #10
XOTech
AF Regular

Mystery McLaren

An update on the Mystery McLaren.

Gentleman. I have resolved the mystery as to who owns the car, but alas, no resolution as to why he would leave the car on the street for over a month.

The particular car was previously wrecked and badly damaged out in California about two years ago. The car was returned to the factory and was restored. The car still resides with the same owner. That gentleman, however, lives in California. I have not yet determined why the car was in Florida or why is was left. If I receive any additional information, I will gladly post.

Offerings of the Ferrari F50, Enzo to the 250 GTO, Lamborghini 350GT to the Murcielago, Jaguar XJ220 and XJR-15 to the Mercedes CLK GTR, Porsche GT1 and Carrera GT, Bugatti EB110 and Veyron and everything in between.
And of course, the McLaren F1. Anywhere worldwide.
XOTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #11
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Being parked on the street and as dirty as it is really makes this car look like its worth $30,000 not a million. Geezz I hope there's a really good explaination for it being parked on the street, it should at least be in the driveway. If I had the money this is one mclaren i would never buy, wrecked plus sitting on the street, don't think this one has been taken very good care of. I guess this guy's just so rich it's just another car to him, I don't think he deserves to have this car if this is how he treats it.
TexasF355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:53 PM   #12
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

The owner should be shot and the car should be given to someone who would care for it like it should be, like me.
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:12 PM   #13
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: Mystery McLaren

Quote:
Originally posted by XOTech
The particular car was previously wrecked and badly damaged out in California about two years ago. The car was returned to the factory and was restored. The car still resides with the same owner. That gentleman, however, lives in California. I have not yet determined why the car was in Florida or why is was left. If I receive any additional information, I will gladly post.
Would this be Elon Musk's?

The attached photo is a shot of him and his F1 taken during an interview for Salon.com in August 1999. I later read that the Spring of 2000 he wrecked his F1 while traveling with the CEO of PayPal on board in the Silicon Valley. The car was then sent back to the factory for a full repair of the damage.

Sure sounds like it.

>8^)
ER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elon_musk.jpg (23.5 KB, 240 views)
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #14
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Incidentally, upon closer inspection of those pictures it seems that although the F1 wears a Sarasota, FL license plate, that these pictures were still taken in Northern California.

In the shot of the F1 interior through the glass side window, note that the license plate placard on the Audi in front of it reads "PALO ALTO CARLSON". I did a quick web search and Carlson Audi is indeed located in Palo Alto, CA.

By the way - these photos originally came from someone's Webshots.com photo album. I guess if someone really wanted to they could track down the photographer through that site.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:10 PM   #15
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

The photographer is a member of the bmwm5.com message board.