Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
amdsoldier
AF Enthusiast

Talking HID's - The Good The Bad And the Ugly

After I seen the pics of RST's Eclipse with the HID setup, I knew it was something I needed to have.

Not too long ago I bought some ebay Xenons and after about two months one of the blubs died. Contacted the ebayer and had a new set come. Well once the new one was put in, I realized the older one was much dimmer.

So basically I see (IMHO) that Xenons are a waste of time and money since most will not even last 300 hours vs. the 2500 hours with a true HID setup.

Anyways I have heard some interesting rumors about HIDs in that you can't have your low and high beams on, or it will overload the igniters or whatever. I guess what I'd like to know if they are safe and I can have them on (low and high) plus my fog lights for example, etc.

Once that is settled, I'd need to know which to go with. RST has some PIAA's which he said he obtained for $300 bucks. BTW sorry dude I'm posting this and didn't wait for your reply via PM, I just needed to ask this! And well I can't seem to find any PIAA's on ebay. Cheapest seems to be around $300, with some in the $200 range, but seem to be off various cars and/or used.

Here is one off ebay here which looks interesting: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476

Oh and also what I'm confused on is this is only for one pair of blubs. If I wanted both low and high beam (I'm guessing I can choose which also), I'd need two kits?

Well thought this would be benefit a lot of people too since there seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding headlight blubs.
amdsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
ashah000
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ashah000
Re: HID's - The Good The Bad And the Ugly

Yea those ebay bulbs suck ass. Your other bulbs will go in the next week or so. Silvania SilverStars are much better.

BTW did you read JoeWagon's writeup
Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
EclipseRST
Banned

Send a message via AIM to EclipseRST Send a message via MSN to EclipseRST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseRST
its all good... you didnt need to wait! and yes silverstars are nice bulbs, one of my friends just bought them for his impala and they are kick ass!

for the HID lights... here is one that is identical to mine! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464584583

i have the 10000k kit that is a hyper white PIAA kit, the only difference between the kit in that link and mine are that mine are PIAA and mine came with 4 bulbs - (2 for low beams, 2 for high beams). same price and it looks the same as my kit!
EclipseRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
JoeWagon
Banned

I don't know how long the 300 dollar range HID kits will last, but I'm a big fan of the SilverStars.

I know EclipseRST got 4 bulbs in the package, but I doubt he uses them both at the same time. I can't recommend using brights and low beams simultaneously as you'll blind people, plus your concerns. High beam on the conversion kits should produce plenty of light, without Lows on with them.

I don't like the notion of 10,000k... but whatever floats your boat I'd get closer to 6k if possible. It's proven less glare per output, and is also easier on your eyes.
JoeWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
EclipseRST
Banned

Send a message via AIM to EclipseRST Send a message via MSN to EclipseRST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseRST
yea i thought the 10,000k lights were a little over board but i seen them on a vehicle and like the light that they produced and wanted them, when i bought them from the parts store i shop at, my friend that works there said that its the same price for all of them...6000k, 8000k, 10000k, and the 12000k, since i liked the way the 10000k looked i bought them since it wasnt anymore in price, and i have never seen the rest of them on a vehicle, or atleast known they were on a vehicle!
EclipseRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:41 AM   #6
ashah000
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ashah000

My friend has had SilverStars for over a year and they are still good.