Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
05trx500fe
AF Newbie

Little heat 98 Transport

I have 98 Transport, 125000K it has good heat in the engine but not very good heat in the interior. Seems to take for ever to heat up(the interior). Are they all like this? This is my first winter with this van. I removed the filters and I seem to have good air movement. I should replace the filters that is way I have removed them. I do not have a rear heater.
05trx500fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Little heat 98 Transport

Lots of complaints about that.THere are reports that the type of coolant used dissolves the rubber hoses and clog the heater core, but none have come back with a 100% satisfied and long time solution on that path. Anyway If this is the only symptom you have, it might make sense to backwash rinse the core. As you say, engine warms up normally...

If you have searched and gone through the threads on this subject, you will have noticed that this problem is in lots of cases associated with other symptoms. So any suspicion of coolant leak or dissappearance (have to top off regularly) must be considered seriously as head gasket failure is a common fact of this engine, in which case exhaust invasion of the cooling system degrades heater performance, will cause erratic temp needle readings, and eventually engine overheating. In several cases, this very unwanted conclusion just follows months of tries with thermostat change, radiator, even coolant pump...all to no avail.
So look at each of the symptoms. A good heater core rince is kind of "normal maintenance" so you can have this done at reasonable cost to confirm or eliminate that possible cause.
THere are also occurrences of improper action of the "diverter flap" that either directs air through or around the heater core. check rotation of actuator shaft from under dash panel or through removed glove box opening.... www.avigex.ca/xport/actuator.jpg

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport