Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
jep5555
AF Newbie

Water Leak- Cargo area

In heavy rains, the carpet in the cargo area gets soaks near the back barn doors. Nothing looks amiss on the seals of the barn doors. Any ideas where this water might be getting in? Thanks.
jep5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
99ssconv
AF Enthusiast

what year?
99ssconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
jep5555
AF Newbie

Sorry, it's a 99...
jep5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
99ssconv
AF Enthusiast

Water Intrusion into Rear Compartment (Replace Primary Weatherstrip/Adjust Doors if Necessary)
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade

1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Utility Models (Tahoe Z71 and Limited, Yukon Denali)

1999 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Utility Models (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon)

With Cargo Doors or Endgate (RPOs ZW9, E55)

Built Prior to the following Production Dates:

Make
Model
Plant
Built Prior To

Chevrolet

GMC
Tahoe

Suburban

Yukon
Janesville, WI
9-14-99

Chevrolet

GMC
Tahoe

Suburban

Yukon
Arlington, TX
9-28-99

Chevrolet

GMC
Tahoe

Suburban

Yukon
Silao, MEX
10-26-99

Chevrolet

GMC

Cadillac
Tahoe Z71/Limited

Yukon Denali

Escalade
Arlington, TX
9-28-99

Condition
Some owners of the above listed vehicles may comment on water entering into the rear compartment area.

Cause
Cargo Doors
The following conditions may cause water intrusion:

The weatherstrip carrier may be allowing water to enter at the upper radius of the door opening, traveling down to the sill area into the rear compartment.
The rear door may be misaligned at the top, outer edge, causing "overcompression" of the primary and auxiliary seals at the left rear defogger (RPO C49) switch area.
The rear door may be misaligned side-to-side, causing poor contact to the auxiliary weatherstrip at the top of the door.
The left rear door vertical weatherstrip mucket (insulator) may not be horizontal on contact with the primary weatherstrip.
Endgate
The current weatherstrip may allow water intrusion at the electrical contact on the left and right side of the rear compartment.

Correction
Cargo Doors
A new rear cargo door opening primary weatherstrip has been developed to correct this condition. This weatherstrip has a mastic (pastelike) sealer in the carrier that should address the water intrusion provided there are no other existing door conditions. Replace the primary weatherstrip on affected vehicles using the following procedure and the part number listed below. Some interior trim panels will need to be removed in order to replace the weatherstrip. Refer to the Interior Trim subsection of the Service Manual.

Cargo Door Inspection and Correction
Inspect the doors using the following steps and correct as necessary:

Verify that the top outside corner of the doors are not tight to the body. Place a rubber mallet halfway between the upper hinge and the top of the door and attempt to close the door on the mallet. The gap between the body and the doors should be between 6-8 mm (0.24-0.32 in) at the top outboard corners.

Notice
Do not apply too much pressure. This may cause the window to break under severe stress.

If the doors are outboard, apply inward and downward pressure to the top inside edge of the door while in the open position.
Verify that the left rear door weatherstrip mucket (insulator) is horizontal when contacting the primary weatherstrip. Adjust the mucket (insulator) if necessary.
Endgate
A new endgate opening primary weatherstrip has been developed to correct this condition. This weatherstrip has solid foam reinforcement inside the carrier on the left and right side, at the electrical contact area, that should prevent the weatherstrip from pulling away from the body. Replace the primary weatherstrip on affected vehicles using the following procedure and the part number listed below. Some interior trim panels will need to be removed in order to replace the weatherstrip. Refer to the Interior Trim subsection of the Service Manual.

Weatherstrip Replacement (Cargo Door Models)
Use the following steps to replace the cargo door opening primary weatherstrip:

Open the back doors.
Remove the spare tire. Refer to the Tires and Wheels subsection of the Service Manual.
Remove the RH and the LH rear corner upper garnish moldings.
Remove the RH and the LH rear corner lower garnish moldings and the rear sill trim as an assembly.
Remove the rear upper body opening molding.
Remove the back door opening surround weatherstrip from the pinchweld flange.

Install the rear door opening primary weatherstrip using the following steps:
Align the mark (2) on the weatherstrip to align with the center of the LH striker bolt hole (1).
Push the weatherstrip onto the flange working outward in both directions (3). Ensure that the weatherstrip is secure in both corners.
Push the weatherstrip down both sides of the outer flanges to the lower corners (4).
Install the weatherstrip to the center of the lower door opening flange (5).
Push the excess loops of the weatherstrip from the center, outward to corners (6).
Push the weatherstrip securely around the perimeter of the door opening flange.
Install the rear upper body opening molding.
Install the RH and the LH rear corner lower garnish moldings and rear sill trim as an assembly.
Install the RH and the LH rear corner upper garnish moldings.
Install the spare tire. Refer to the Tires and Wheels subsection of the Service Manual.
Weatherstrip Replacement (Endgate Models)
Use the following steps to install the endgate door opening primary weatherstrip:

Remove the rear floor rear trim plate.
Remove the LH and the RH rear corner upper garnish moldings.
Remove the LH and the RH rear corner lower garnish moldings.
Remove the rear window upper garnish molding.
Remove the endgate opening weatherstrip from the pinchweld flange.

Install the endgate opening primary weatherstrip using the following procedure:
Align the marks on the weatherstrip with the top trim edge of the door frame reinforcement (4).
Push the weatherstrip onto the LH and the RH flange working upward to upper corners (3).
Push the weatherstrip upward to the center of the upper flange (1).
Push the weatherstrip from the upper center flange to the outer upper corners (2).
Return to the weatherstrip marks as described in step 1. Push the weatherstrip downward on lower flange to the lower corners (5). Ensure that the weatherstrip is secure in the corners.
Install the weatherstrip to the center of the lower door opening flange (7).
Push the excess loops of the weatherstrip from the center of the lower flange outward to the lower corners (6).
Push the weatherstrip securely around the perimeter of the door opening flange.
Install the rear window upper garnish molding.
Install the LH and the RH rear corner lower garnish moldings.
Install the LH and the RH rear corner upper garnish moldings.
Install the rear floor rear trim plate.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Weatherstrip Asm - Rear Door

Weatherstrip Asm - Endgate

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
99ssconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:09 AM   #5
jfmctlaw
AF Regular

Re: Water Leak- Cargo area

You can also get water throw up from the tires in the wheel wells. Inspect the body and make sure no rot has penetrated the cargo area floor. This can be an extremely dangerous condition because if water can get in, so can EXHAUST, and that can kill you.
jfmctlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
95 trbl
AF Newbie

leak in cargo area

I had the same problem , it drove me crazy , I finally tracked it down.
It is the third brake light on top of the roof , the casing cracked on one side of the light housing where the screw holds it in place and water was getting in thru the wire hole. Easy fix, good luck
95 trbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #7
digezy
AF Newbie

I have a 97 and also had a cracked third brake light. I replaced that but I am still having a leak. It will leak when it's parked so I'm sure it's not the wheel wells. The water is gathering at the very back on the compartment side of the weatherstrip.
The weatherstrip looks okay but should I replace it anyway?
digezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
JEFF MOCK
AF Newbie

Take your car to the car wash that uses high pressure. Sit in the back during the wash and you most likely will find it. My 98 surburban leak on the rear driverside corner window. Without removing the window, I have not sealed it yet.
JEFF MOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:09 AM   #9
rambler-kc
AF Newbie

my 93 does the same thing... leaks during heavy rains,, are the part numbers the same for the 93 as well? I will go ahead a replace the seals
rambler-kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:57 AM   #10
digezy
AF Newbie

I finally fixed my leak. Along with replacing the third brake light I replaced the the main weatherstrip around the door opening. That's the one mentioned in the service bulletin posted above. As that post indicates there is a new and improved weatherstrip and that did the trick.
digezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
BDATI2D
AF Newbie

I have a 94 2500 Suburban and had the same problem. I too replaced the rear seal around my barn doors which helped some. fixed the leak around my third brake light and still had a leak somewhere. I finally took the trim off in the cargo area and had my wife hose down the top. I found water running down the driver-side cargo window on the back edge. Come to find out where the rear quarter panel and top where welded together on the back corner the factory missed a small spot and the seam sealer had finally fallen out leaving a hole. It would allow a lot of water in and would soak my carpet by the back doors. Good luck on finding your leak!

Dave
BDATI2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
Gone Huntin'
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Gone Huntin'

What about on older trucks? I've got a '90 model and my spare tire tub is getting water in it, but none on the carpet.
Gone Huntin' is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K