Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
roadbum
AF Newbie

2012 Escape A/C problem

Took my 2012 Escape into the Ford dealer to get the A/C system re-charged. They told me the system was closed and it would cost me over four grand to replace the whole system. Piss on that noise. I've never heard of a closed system before, I smell a scam.
roadbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:36 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 2012 Escape A/C problem

Stinks to me too. They're called "stealerships" for a reason. (Although not all are bad)

In your position I'd find a reputable AC shop. Or it might be as simple as cutting one of the lines and installing a service port.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:04 AM   #3
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

i have an 08 escape that i got for not a bad deal, the guy said the ac needed a recharge and that he could have his mechanic do it for 160 bucks i am in canada so prices are higher here...but while cruising through the local walmart i saw a recharge kit for the a/c r134a so i picked it up only cost me 50 bucks comes with sealant/oil and a recharge can so i got home read the directions due to environmental laws and the kit was simple to add to the system it had a gauge the hose to add refrigerant so it looked like an easy to do option...hooked the first can of 134 up and it took it like a champ...it came to the bottom of the gauge so i added the second can slowly and it registers a little over hale way in the target zone and i have ice cold air coming out the vents now.....

don't be afraid to do this yourself there is a high side connection and a low side connection the hose goes on the low side turn it upside down and use the thumb screw to puncture the can and it will add to the system mine took 2 cans of 134 refrigerant i didn't need the the can of a/c repair for some reason new cars go through refrigerant i have a 2001 windstar and it has never been touched and it still blows cold air like a fridge....

as long as your not scared to tackle this go ahead and try it yourself they had 2 kits an ac recharge and an acfix/recharge both were like 60 bucks all in
Old 11-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

just re-checked my ac today and at the middle vent it registered -7.0c with a handheld digital thermometer and when i turned it to heat it hit a whopping 190.4f or 88c no wonder i need to turn it down while driving at that temp my eyes hurt and it just sucks the energy out of you all this while it was 8c outside temp...not sure if it's overworking itself or not never had a car blow this much hot air in the car...maybe it nothing to worry about but i am taking it across the country in april and i hope i get to where i am going

Last edited by Mustang_Driver; 11-18-2022 at 01:28 AM.
Mustang_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2012 , a/c , escape
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid