Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
jfl1960
AF Newbie

Re: 2.5L Upgrades?

HMMM are you sure about that, the engine in the Dakota changed from a Chrysler to the AMC motor in 97 or 98 (same as jeep 2.5l motor after 97 or 98) so fitting an early pre 1995 2.2 turbo and internals might not be as simple as you think.

I have the 99 Dakota with the 2.5, have done the CAI, Wrangler TB conversion, Ignition Coil and wire upgrades along with plugs to IRD units, has shown modest increases but still underpowered on highway, around town it's great.

Looking for a garret t3 or t4 turbo and will make my own manifold for it, I love this truck and the mileage I get just need about 30 to 40 more HP, and yes I am willing to spend the time doing it cause that's what I like to do. Some people fish or hunt, I like to tinker with cars. If done right it might even be a bonus at a car show, not many around. Not looking to do an 10 sec 1/4 mile, got my Prostreet Ranger for that, just want to be able to pass on the highway without yanking into 4th all the time.
jfl1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #17
thomsenj88
AF Newbie

The 2.5 Liter in 97 up Dakotas are the AMC based four cylinder engines.
As far as performance modifications, go to .505 performance. they have good deals on cylinder heads and if you want to go crazy, get the stroker kit. or buy the stroker engine with the better head for 3000.
My two cents at least.
For turbocharging these guys, use the t4 turbo off of a mitsubishi engine, or an m90 supercharger to bolt onto the manifold. ( have to relocate the powersteering.) yes you will have to build an adapter plate, yet it works good off idle which is what you want. Stock i never had to pull mine out of 5th on the freeway to pass people. so idk what everyone is complaining about that their underpowered. I got up to 70mph in 3rd for crying out loud. it spins that little guy but it does it.
thomsenj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #18
jfl1960
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsenj88 View Post
The 2.5 Liter in 97 up Dakotas are the AMC based four cylinder engines.
As far as performance modifications, go to .505 performance. they have good deals on cylinder heads and if you want to go crazy, get the stroker kit. or buy the stroker engine with the better head for 3000.
My two cents at least.
For turbocharging these guys, use the t4 turbo off of a mitsubishi engine, or an m90 supercharger to bolt onto the manifold. ( have to relocate the powersteering.) yes you will have to build an adapter plate, yet it works good off idle which is what you want. Stock i never had to pull mine out of 5th on the freeway to pass people. so idk what everyone is complaining about that their underpowered. I got up to 70mph in 3rd for crying out loud. it spins that little guy but it does it.
Hmm must be the hilly terrain around here, to drive from Sydney Nova Scotia to Halifax, I would say I am about 50% for 4 to 5th gear and that's just to keep a decent 65 MPH without passing. Tires are a bit larger than stock so gear ratio is slightly lower that stock, expect that's the difference. Turbo will fix that. Another option is the 3.9L I have in my parts truck, but need a new 5-speed if I go that route. Thanks for the info you supplied all pros and cons go into the equation before I do anything. Interesting alternative the supercharger, hmmm. will have to look into that.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
thomsenj88
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfl1960 View Post
Hmm must be the hilly terrain around here, to drive from Sydney Nova Scotia to Halifax, I would say I am about 50% for 4 to 5th gear and that's just to keep a decent 65 MPH without passing. Tires are a bit larger than stock so gear ratio is slightly lower that stock, expect that's the difference. Turbo will fix that. Another option is the 3.9L I have in my parts truck, but need a new 5-speed if I go that route. Thanks for the info you supplied all pros and cons go into the equation before I do anything. Interesting alternative the supercharger, hmmm. will have to look into that.

The 3.9 is more of a lol. If you go with a 3.9 you might as well take the extra step and put the 318 or 360 in the truck. the mileage would be about the same. Infact my 99 318 dakota 4x4 with a 5speed got on average 18-20 in town. plus on the freeway it wasnt spinning hard either, got around 24. Best was 27 idk how i did that one. so if your looking for a little more gearing and power i would go the v8 route with these trucks. I have never seen the benefit of the 3.9. If you do turbo the 4 banger there is some guys putting 198 ftlbs of torque to the rear wheels. .505 performance has the one engine for 3 k with a bunch of goodies included. thats 180hp and 200 ftlbs of torque. I am implying you may have to go internal to get the results you want. But i am willing to help anyway you go
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #20
jfl1960
AF Newbie

Hmm interesting and a good point, the 3.9 is a 318 missing 2 cylinders, did some research on the M90 supercharger, that looks really unique. they are fairly inexpensive and plentiful. found a few threads for them in the 2.5 motor. Only reason I mentioned the 3.9 is because it's free and the one I have in my parts truck runs like new.

As for internal mods I was going to freshen up the 2.5 before installing the turbo or supercharger anyway, any suggestions here are welcomed, I got a rebuild kit (all internal bearings and gaskets) along with a new OEM cam and lifters, would like to find head studs but my searches come up empty, would the 4.0L head stud kit work from ARP? (I know there will be extra but as far as I know the 2.5 is basically a 4.0 missing 2 cylinders), the other thing I haven't been able to find is a set of forged pistons, hypers can be used but forged are more reliable. Also would love to get some YellaTerra roller rockers but they are way out of my budget, and alternatives you know of??

Last edited by jfl1960; 02-18-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
thomsenj88
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfl1960 View Post
Hmm interesting and a good point, the 3.9 is a 318 missing 2 cylinders, did some research on the M90 supercharger, that looks really unique. they are fairly inexpensive and plentiful. found a few threads for them in the 2.5 motor. Only reason I mentioned the 3.9 is because it's free and the one I have in my parts truck runs like new.

As for internal mods I was going to freshen up the 2.5 before installing the turbo or supercharger anyway, any suggestions here are welcomed, I got a rebuild kit (all internal bearings and gaskets) along with a new OEM cam and lifters, would like to find head studs but my searches come up empty, would the 4.0L head stud kit work from ARP? (I know there will be extra but as far as I know the 2.5 is basically a 4.0 missing 2 cylinders), the other thing I haven't been able to find is a set of forged pistons, hypers can be used but forged are more reliable. Also would love to get some YellaTerra roller rockers but they are way out of my budget, and alternatives you know of??

Forged piston apparently came stock in 97 up dakotas and jeeps. They are the same size piston as a 4.0 from what i have been informed of. Yes the ARP studs will work from a 4.0. If you have a 3.9 with the manual, keep that manual so if perhaps you decide on doing the v8 swap, you have the transmission already to go. the eaton m90 is not as hard as everyone thinks to adapt to the engine, I personally relocated my power steering pump and bolted it to the intake. However you can get creative and do all sorts of different set ups. a turbo will be easy with a banks turbo exhaust manifold, flip you intake upside down and have the turbo blow up into the intake. (sounds weird but it works. That way the injectors also create a swirl effect in the manifold for the fuel. (kindof a diesel compressing effect.) We did manage to get this system running today on a mule engine, so i do not have numbers.

Anyways. Pistons and head studs are readily available, and yes those rockers are bad assssss
Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #22
jfl1960
AF Newbie

So mine is a 1999 AMC 2.5 in my Dakota and it should already have the forged pistons then, interesting I did not know that, I have a bore gage and microeters, if the bores and pistons are still in spec, all I will need is a ridge ream and hone the cylinders and the internals will be good to go, except for wrist pins, cannot find them unless I buy piston set?? I would love to see a pic of your setup if possible, that system sounds sick.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
jfl1960
AF Newbie

"a turbo will be easy with a banks turbo exhaust manifold"

Found a "banks torque" exhaust manifold for the 2.5 but cannot find the turbo exhaust manifold, a link would be most appreciated.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #24
jfl1960
AF Newbie

"Forged piston apparently came stock in 97 up dakotas and jeeps." FYI: Just started to rebuild my motor, pistons are original and are most definitely cast, not forged, 1999 Dakota 2.5L, so where ever that info came from they are mistaken at least with my motor, just updating for anyone who reads this. Back to work now, later.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #25
Mopar Matt
AF Newbie

I have a 1997 2.5L I just got the 4.0L throttle body and straight piped from the cat back I would like to do fuel injectors Wich injectors would be best and I heard of using a ford explorer or Taurus rad is that true??? And are there any other good mods recommend for this motor ? Personally or not would like to know!!
Mopar Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #26
Mopar Matt
AF Newbie

I got a 1997 2.5L sport and did the 4.0L throttle body swap and I want to know any other good mods recommend
Mopar Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 PM   #27
KYBILLY87
AF Newbie

Hey I'm new to this but seems to be
A solid Way to get info, now speaking of the 2.5 Dakota I just got one has 130k alot of older car guys say baby e.m at that point every miles a blessing, I definitely don't like having any balls under the hood just crashed old square body with a screaming small block in it it's one extreme to another but I see u can buy TB's from Holly even aftermarket intake manifolds and header so is OK get all that and have that many miles or just rolling them dice?
KYBILLY87 is offline   Reply With Quote