Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
flyinggreasemnky
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to flyinggreasemnky
Rough Idle

I just raised a Delorean from the dead for my friend. His 82' was sitting outside in the driveway for about 11 years and was only driven about 5 times during that span. I did a top-end overhaul on it and replaced all the major items: hoses, belts, etc (That oil pan gasket was a pain). Now I've run into a wall, the battery light is on even though it has good voltage, a good ground and the charging system is working fine. Also, the car has a rough idle (rpms going up and down), my friend says that it always did that and I was wondering if it is normal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
flyinggreasemnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: Rough Idle

Vacuum leak?

Old 04-06-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

A hunting idle is NOT normal.

The fuel distibutor, air intake manifold, etc... are touchy. You almost have to rebuilt them in a clean room! Make sure to use brand new seals from Delorean.

If I remember how I resolved a similar issue I will post. Other than that... the electrical wierdness just means you get to start inspecting wires, connections for damage or wrong/crossed connections. Its highly possible that a previous owner plugged things in randomly.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
dmcgirl
AF Premium User

is the rough idle at all times or just when warming up? the prv surges when it's first started becuase the k-jetronic system is looking for the right fuel to air ratio. it should then smooth out after it's warmed up.
good luck with the electrical gremlins!

sounds like you had a lot of fun! was it sitting covered and with all the fluids still in it? do the tires have flat spots? how many miles are on it and what's the last five digits of the vin...if you could find out. thanks! is the owner in the delorean owner's registery? nice job getting another D back on the road.

eric and i are working on an 82 auto with about 30K miles on her. a lot of the engine is missing and the interior is in sad shape. i was surprised when i looked through the window and saw a hurst shifter in there. first time for everything.

marni

Honestly Officer, I haven't been drinking. I'm just swerving to avoid the potholes.
dmcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
flyinggreasemnky
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to flyinggreasemnky

It seems to just be hunting when it is idling, but is fine otherwise and yes it sat with all the fluids in it. The tires did develop flat spots and a couple of brats thought it would be funny to throw rocks at it and broke the louvers.

The car has been owned by the Wong family since purchase. It was orginally bought by my friend's dad while he was still in the womb and now that he is old enough, his dad gave it to him. It has about 12,000 miles on it and is in pretty good shape, despite all its been through. I don't know the vin as I am on the other side of the state in Kalamazoo going to Western. I'll let you know when I get back home in a week.

If you want to learn more about, you can check out the website I've been making for my friend: www.geocities.com/goospeed
flyinggreasemnky is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12