Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
RIPLingenfelter
Banned

Question Question to Delorean Owners, Speed concern.

Hi

First of all I want to sa awesome car, Behind the Testrossa this is the nicest car ever made. Painted Black I think this car looks like its worth a million bucks.

I intend to get one of these cars someday but I dont know If I should get it within the next 2 years or next 10 years.

Soon Ill be able to afford a Delorean or a 1998 C5 Corvette.

Corvettes are my 3rd favorite cars and I love how fast these cars are.

My main concern with the delorean is speed. Do you owners get revved on a lot or picked on on the freeway. Im still 21 so you know of course its going to bother me a little if Im constantly getting blown away by dodge neons and spent 25K on one of the slickest looking cars ever.

Is this car really in need of an engine swap or something that extreme? To the peopel with technical no how why are 1.6 L Honda Civics able to pull off 12 second quarters and this car seems stuck at what it is?

Have any of you owners mod your car? How fast is it and how much$$$?

I would personally be happy with 0-60 in the high 5's-mid 6's
Old 01-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
DPMP
AF Newbie

Re: Question to Delorean Owners, Speed concern.

If you can do 80 mph without getting caught, your D is going to pass a lot of cars.

Trying to race with somebody at a stop is a macho thing, but the real winner is the cop sitting behind the intersection with the radar gun.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep

Stock Deloreans were quite quick for their day, when everything was strangled by emissions equipment and even Corvettes struggled to make 200 hp. A 98 C5 Corvette will easily be about twice as fast as a Delorean, but no where near as rare or exclusive. A Delorean will need either an engine swap or the 200 hp conversion from www.delorean.com in order to become a quick performer in today's world.

It really all comes down to what you're looking for. If you're looking to race and blow people off the line, you'd be much better off with the Corvette every time. If you're looking for something that's far more rare and exclusive, more of a head turner and don't care about speed, get the Delorean.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPLingenfelter
why are 1.6 L Honda Civics able to pull off 12 second quarters and this car seems stuck at what it is?
A Honda Civic can do 12's in the quarter mile when the 1.6L is swaped for a 1.8 B16C JDM engine with forged internals, bolt-ons, forced induction, etc... Suddenly, that $4,000 economy car is $20,000.

The reason most DeLorean owners don't just do the same type of thing (engine swap) is that they want to keep the car original. It is more important to them as a historical piece. Some owners HAVE fitted Chevy supercharged engines, Caddy V8's, even a 3-rotor (which will beat most things that will rev on you).

If you want to go fast for cheap, get a 240SX and swap.

If you want to go fast (with no handling and boring styling) get the Vette. Just be prepared for the rattles, fading paint, GM quality, and no respect from anyone.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:23 AM   #5
RIPLingenfelter
Banned

ouch man kind of harsh there.

I still like Deloreans, I intend to own one someday.

No Econo boxes for me so a Nissan is out of the question.

I dont care about respect, I love Corvettes, I love Deloreans too.
I just want to be happy when I wake up in the morning and go for a drive.

Im pretty sure Deloreans handle great and it would be nice to power out of turns so thats why I want a fast one. Sorry If I offended you.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #6
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPLingenfelter
I dont care about respect, I love Corvettes, I love Deloreans too.
I just want to be happy when I wake up in the morning and go for a drive.

Sorry If I offended you.
You have not offended me, and I did not intend to be harsh. I guess after posting on-line for a while I get "straight to the point" with my typing.

What i was trying to say was - if you want to be fast, and are worried about getting beat everytime someone revs on you, then an LT1 Vette will not bring you joy. The Nissan will beat the Vette every time, and do it for $20K cheaper.

If you can get an LS1 Vette, and the $30K price tag isn't a big deal, then go for it IF you're a Vette fan. For that price, though, a nice last-year Trans Am WS6 with a few mods will beat the Vette (in price and speed)
Old 01-24-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
RIPLingenfelter
Banned

Its cool. I intend to get an LS1, its only 25 grand or less for a 1998 these day.

Sorry no Nissan for me.

Its kind of like me suggesting a Grimlin for you as your rare car.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
Nonchalant008
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Nonchalant008 Send a message via MSN to Nonchalant008 Send a message via Yahoo to Nonchalant008
Re: Re: Question to Delorean Owners, Speed concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC12
A Honda Civic can do 12's in the quarter mile when the 1.6L is swaped for a 1.8 B16C JDM engine with forged internals, bolt-ons, forced induction, etc... Suddenly, that $4,000 economy car is $20,000.

The reason most DeLorean owners don't just do the same type of thing (engine swap) is that they want to keep the car original. It is more important to them as a historical piece. Some owners HAVE fitted Chevy supercharged engines, Caddy V8's, even a 3-rotor (which will beat most things that will rev on you).

If you want to go fast for cheap, get a 240SX and swap.

If you want to go fast (with no handling and boring styling) get the Vette. Just be prepared for the rattles, fading paint, GM quality, and no respect from anyone.
I drive a 96 Toyota Carolla bone stock (I'm 16, my parents gave it to me). When I'm next to a Corvette at a stoplight or on the highway, I'm VERY VERY respectfull. Perhaps you should be too
Old 02-02-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
DPMP
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Question to Delorean Owners, Speed concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalant008
I drive a 96 Toyota Carolla bone stock (I'm 16, my parents gave it to me). When I'm next to a Corvette at a stoplight or on the highway, I'm VERY VERY respectfull. Perhaps you should be too
I would too, but I'm also glad to know there is a Japanese car that respect an American car. :-)

But the D will be strictly for time travel, not used on street racing. =0)
Old 02-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #10
RIPLingenfelter
Banned

Your a cool guy nonchalant

When I was driving a neon in high school I didnt put stickers on it or anything and REV on Mustangs or Corvettes

Nice to see some people being realistic.

The worse thing I have ever seen is 2 spoilers (1 on trunk and 1 on roof) on a old ass early 80's civic.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
druggiedrag420
AF Newbie

i have a 1992 nissan nx2000 and my 2.0L has beat every 5.0 mustang or camero ive ever reved on......stock american muscle cares arnt as fast as people think
Old 03-06-2004, 09:41 PM   #12
DPMP
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggiedrag420
i have a 1992 nissan nx2000 and my 2.0L has beat every 5.0 mustang or camero ive ever reved on......stock american muscle cares arnt as fast as people think
I doubt it. Racing against another person means just what it is, against another person. It doesn't mean a car is faster than the others.

If you want to know which car is faster, you will have to drive both cars and clock it. Which means you will have to pretend you race against yourself and drive each car at its best.

I can tell a ricer when I see one. :-)
Old 03-07-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggiedrag420
Good for you

Half these Mustangs and Camaros probably weren't even racing, and even if they were, wait until you're on the highway and they'll just destroy you. Actually, don't, cause I almost forgot - street racing is pointless and idiotic - take it to the track.

BTW, yes, I have driven an NX2000 before, and yes they are fast, fun, cool little cars. However, I've also driven Mustangs and Camaros and (unless they are automatic 4 cyl/6 cyl) they're faster everytime.

This thread is getting way off-topic and going nowhere. Closed!