Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 07:22 PM   #1
ZondaFreak02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ZondaFreak02
Stainless to carbon fiber?

there isn't anything to it

eat...sleep...race...TOYOTA

SAAB...worlds safest..worlds koolest
ZondaFreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:59 PM   #2
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by ZondaFreak02
there isn't anything to it
Yeah, I make stuff outa Fiberglass cloth all the time. The only diff is that the CF is #%$^#ing expensive ($3.00 for glass VS $40 for CF). Replacing all the panels & doors with it... you're still better off putting that $$$ into the engine to gain speed. Also, some road grip would be lost with less weight.

Last edited by DMC12; 05-04-2004 at 10:22 PM.
DMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Quote:
Originally posted by DMC12

Yeah, I make stuff outa Fiberglass cloth all the time. The only diff is that the CF is #%$^#ing expensive ($3.00 for glass VS $40 for CF).
So why don't you make some fibreglass panels instead?

Old 06-13-2002, 09:57 PM   #4
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
nowhere as strong, last time I checked, and to have that much made out of it when you can do carbon fiber, why not do carbon fiber?:bandit:

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
TerminalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:23 PM   #5
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by TerminalVelocity
nowhere as strong, last time I checked, and to have that much made out of it when you can do carbon fiber, why not do carbon fiber?:bandit:
The fiberglass would have to be laid very thick (compared to carbon fiber) to achieve the same strength. Keep in mind that the stainless steel panels are not structural (as fenders are in traditional cars), so strength isn't too much of an issue, but too thin and they'll flex in the wind or when some idiot sits on the car.

I might make the hood out of fiberglass (as that actually is the heaviest panel), but I don't want to make the front too light in proportion to the front. Remember, there is already a 35/65 weight dist., so the more I can take off the back the better! I've thought about cutting portions of that back near the engine & replacing with CF & making the rear panels out of CF too. Hmmm... right now, though, I'm just using my energy to get over this clod/flu crap I caught.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:45 PM   #6
PFCfutrell
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PFCfutrell Send a message via Yahoo to PFCfutrell
I'm in the military (unfortunately) and I can tell you first hand that fiberglass is pretty damn strong. The entire hood of our HMMWV is fiberglass and it takes all the abuse I can give it, carbon fiber is more for looks really, it is stronger but like someone else said these parts aren't structural. My $.02
Custom exhaust
*2.25" piping
*two glasspacks (inline)
*polished flash-cut tip
*exits pass. side, front of rear tire.
'95 GSR 15" wheels
195/50/R15 Bridgestone Potenza SO-3's
AE Eng. front crossmember
Susp. Tech. 22mm rear sway bar
Susp. Tech. 1.8" lowering springs
Tokico Illumina 5-way adj. shocks
Powerslot rotors
Metal Master pads
Goodridge steel-braided brake lines
Red painted OEM calipers
Skunk2 short shifter
Skunk2 shift knob
GT Grant steering wheel
Red/black racing seats
PFCfutrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:03 PM   #7
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by PFCfutrell
The entire hood of our HMMWV is fiberglass and it takes all the abuse I can give it
That is a mighty-fine CRX you got there, PFCfutrell "Somebody put in the wrench time." - F&F. If you were around here I'd say lets race, or at least convoy up to Neptune's Net for some shrimp :licker:

The strange thing is that fiberglass has been around forever, yet people still have a phobia about it As you stated, the stuff is stronger than sHlt... and I've heard rumors that fiberglass-bodied cars aren't picked up by radar guns.

My DMC has been rolled once in a very bad accident... yet without any frame repair it is on the road again! I hate to sound like a fiberglass salesman, but the stuff rocks!!!:smoker2:
Old 07-25-2002, 10:59 PM   #8
PFCfutrell
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PFCfutrell Send a message via Yahoo to PFCfutrell
Quote:
Originally posted by DMC12

The strange thing is that fiberglass has been around forever, yet people still have a phobia about it As you stated, the stuff is stronger than sHlt... and I've heard rumors that fiberglass-bodied cars aren't picked up by radar guns.
:smoker2:
rumor = false

Corvette Stingrays with fiberglass front ends were virtually invisible to radar due to the fact that radar went through the fiberglass and bounced off the radiator to the moon. Most cars don't have a radiator canted back 30+ degrees to do this though, the average car is screwed.
Custom exhaust
*2.25" piping
*two glasspacks (inline)
*polished flash-cut tip
*exits pass. side, front of rear tire.
'95 GSR 15" wheels
195/50/R15 Bridgestone Potenza SO-3's
AE Eng. front crossmember
Susp. Tech. 22mm rear sway bar
Susp. Tech. 1.8" lowering springs
Tokico Illumina 5-way adj. shocks
Powerslot rotors
Metal Master pads
Goodridge steel-braided brake lines
Red painted OEM calipers
Skunk2 short shifter
Skunk2 shift knob
GT Grant steering wheel
Red/black racing seats
PFCfutrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #9
speedshifter
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to speedshifter
Re: 10-second DeLorean

Believe it or not, several customers have come into the dealer with broken hoods. That is actually the only part on a HUMMER that breaks with a front end collision. Most of the time, the brushguard bends and smashes the hood when its a real good hit to the front.
Bikewiz@comcast.net
speedshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:06 AM   #10
Carcenomy
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Carcenomy Send a message via AIM to Carcenomy Send a message via MSN to Carcenomy Send a message via Yahoo to Carcenomy
Quick MRs

Hey all

Just been watching BTTF III and admiring the gleaming stainless of the DMC12... so I thought I'd swing on by and put in my two cents.

First of all the car's design IS incredibly sexy... does anyone have an inkling that Toyota were perving at the DMC when they designed the sportier models in the final generations of the rear-wheel drive Corolla? My AE70 (well I guess it's a TE72 now!) has often been remarked as looking 'almost like a DeLorean'... in fastback style it loses the trunklid my hardtop has, and gains a smooth tail with tiny windows just aft of the doors, and big sloped quarterwindows... Compare em from a distance and you'd be shocked. How can a dirty little Japper look Irish? Hmmm.

But it's ANOTHER car that I mean to mention. If anyone remembers the Pontiac Fiero you'll know how damn close the DeLorean and the Fiero are... structurally it would seem both use a spaceframe with the bodypanels just there for looks, bodypanels that don't corrode (Fiero is fibreglass reinforced plastic) and 2.8L V6s that don't propel the cars nearly fast enough!

Now my Fiero used to be a 2.5L four... being the mod fiend I am my father and I repowered it with a SeriesI 3800 V6... and believe it or not the el cheapo little American MR was good for Porsche kinda acceleration (0-60 in the sub-5s) and disgraced boys with big egos in Japanese pocketrockets on a regular basis.

My point is... why shouldn't the DeLorean be any different? Sure there's puritans, but I've heard of guys who have owned a few DeLoreans which gives me the impression they aren't as rare as I imagined. What's to stop you slapping the thing with a GM GenIII 5.7L LS6 V8? Compared to the six, how's a smallblock gonna go? Once you have something nearly generic in there you have the world as your oyster - superchargers, turbochargers, engine redesigns...

I don't totally understand the DeLorean monster, I've never seen one and don't see how they can be truly practical (how are you gonna get on swinging those doors around in a small garage?!) but I do understand the design a little from my practical experience. It has the torrential advantage of having MASSIVE traction and this can totally be harnessed and abused to achieve that ten.

It can be done. On a PRV? Prolly not. But never say die - there's always an option. Always.

Good to see one of the exotic cars with the biggest story is still out there capturing hearts and kicking arse!
Carcenomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:03 PM   #11
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: 10-second DeLorean

I think somewhere around 6800 or so Deloreans were made, so they're more uncommon then they are truly rare. Therefore, many people actually do modify their Deloreans. Even the puritans are tempted by more power (though they would usually use a modified PRV instead of a swap). The most controversial modification is paint...many say it ruins the whole car, while others love the look. Personally, I love painted Deloreans, but because of the uniqueness of the stainless steel, I only advocate painting of cars with damaged body panels.

Delorean Motor Company in Texas offers a PRV modification kit to bring power to around 200 hp...this is the purist's modification of choice and works excellent with the car. Several other engine mods and swaps have been done, however, including turbos, Northstar V8s, and even a Mazda 20B 3-rotor with about 300hp (mated to a Porsche 6-speed).

Regarding the doors...it's kinda hard to understand without actually seeing them in action, but the way they are hinged, they at no point swing out very far beside the car. In fact, you can park a Delorean about 1 foot away from a wall and still open the door fully without it hitting. The only dimension the Delorean needs for full opening of the doors is height, however, the car is so short the even with the doors fully opened, they are only around 6 feet in the air. Therefore, they're actually quite practical

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12