Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
fred Devliegher
AF Newbie

What to buy ?

I've always wanted a Delorean , but assumed none were to be found -little over 8000 produced , none seen on the road ( in Belgium , anyway).

My question is this : I'll be replacing my car soon , and I've got a choice between a LOADED Audi A6 - comfy as a cradle , bland as beige - or a childhood dream-come-true. I've already found out you can buy "new"-ish Deloreans BUT
- Are they useable in everyday traffic ? I'll be the only one using it , so space isn't a problem - I'm talking reliability.
- Should I look for an original European one or import the US version ? Import means it comes from the source , buying local is cheaper and I'll know it'll be road legal (though environmental laws)
- How reliable is the "official" performance upgrade?

It'll be a few months before I have to choose - any thoughts/advice is welcome.
fred Devliegher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 02:04 AM   #2
Grimlock
AF Newbie

I'd get both!

I'd get both cars if possible! My Delorean is reliable enough to use as a daily driver, but it does have some drawbacks. Rear visibility is bad in the daytime and horrible at night. The brakes aren't the best in the world, and it also lacks power steering. There is very limited space for storing items under the front hood (not deep enough), but there is an area large enough for a golf bag behind the seats in the cabin. Finally, I don't want to put so many miles on such an old collectible car.

On the other hand, I get great gas mileage, and the car is very fun to drive. People always stare, and I often have people approach me when I'm getting into and out of the car. That can be good or bad...

I always drive my other car to work etc, but I cruise in the Delorean!
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
fred Devliegher
AF Newbie

I'd be looking at using it for my daily driving - about 20 miles per day. Lots of small streets to negotiate , though. Not much luggage - a briefcase is the biggest I've ever carried ( when not on vacation).
How useful is the luggage rack ?

(normally I'd test drive to know this stuff , but just try to find an owner)

Last question : has anyone bought one from Delorean's website ?
fred Devliegher is offline   Reply With Quote