Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
tk5365
AF Newbie

Battery or charging system

Have a B2600i. Last 2 weeks, I had to charge the batter for 20 minutes before I can starts the truck. Drove for 10 minutes. Sat for a day and the next morning it won't start. Charged again and it starts without problem. took it the Les Schwab turned off the car. It wouldn't start unless from a jump. and they told me it was a bad battery. (9 years old) I was wondering, if I can charge the battery at home and it starts, why wouldn't starts again after drove it for 25 minutes? Is my alternator going bad too?
tk5365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Cusser
AF Regular

Re: Battery or charging system

Charge up you battery at home so the truck can start. Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running, and with the engine off. The voltage should be 2 volts higher with the engine running if your charging system is OK. Does your charging light/check engine light stay on while the engine runs? Those are pretty reliable....my experience is more often it's the battery.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
tk5365
AF Newbie

Thanks Cusser. I assume I needed a voltage meter to test my battery. Don't know how to use one but I am sure it's not to hard. Do I clamp on the battery - and + terminal itself or the terminal cable?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Cusser
AF Regular

Either; as long as the cable terminals are clean and making good connections tothe battery. Most put the positive on the cable positive terminal (first) and the negative to some bare metal of the truck (second) so that if a momentary spark occurs it will be physically away from the battery, eliminating any chance of a hydrogen battery explosion. When done, remove the negative lead first. A simple digital voltmeter is available at Sears for under $25, and they frequently go on sale there for $9.99. I have two of theirs.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
tk5365
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info Cusser
Old 11-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Vetterli
AF Newbie

My 88 had the same problem. Turned out to be the blinker/dimmer switch.
Those cables HAVE to be clean. The slightest amount of oxidation on them makes my truck moody. Hope I helped.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter