Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
02LincolnTownCar
AF Newbie

Gas Mileage Is Too Low On Town Car

I recently purchased a 2002 Lincoln Town Car with 204,000 miles but it runs like a champ. The Problem Is It burns too much gas i filled the tank up and2 days later i'm at a 1/4 tank without driving very much. My fuel economy states that i'm getting 8.5 miles a gallon this number goes up and down. I changed the oil and air filter still having the same problem. I need to know what I can Do to fix this I have heard the plugs and possibly the coils but I would like to know if there is more or perhaps something else I will be doing the work mostly myself but i do have an uncle who is good with cars and will help me, any answers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
02LincolnTownCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
FishFind
One Hot Shot

Re: Gas Mileage Is Too Low On Town Car

any codes??
FishFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
02LincolnTownCar
AF Newbie

no codes or lights showing anything wrong
02LincolnTownCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
All2kool
AF Regular

How you drive these cars will make or break your MPG. The next time you are out cruising, try this: When you see the stop sign or traffic light ahead if you, take your foot off the gas and coast the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Believe it or not, these 4100lb. cars can coast for miles without losing much forward inertia. I average 22 MPG city and up to 29.8 MPG highway easily.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
skinnywhitekid
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Gas Mileage Is Too Low On Town Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
How you drive these cars will make or break your MPG. The next time you are out cruising, try this: When you see the stop sign or traffic light ahead if you, take your foot off the gas and coast the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Believe it or not, these 4100lb. cars can coast for miles without losing much forward inertia. I average 22 MPG city and up to 29.8 MPG highway easily.
A car this new should not have to practice coasting to stop signs. You should be getting the mpg's no matter what with something that new. The older ones do make a huge difference on how you drive them. I would have a full tune up done on it. something with that many miles will be little worse too.

just do a basic tune up and see what happens
basic tune up video how to DIY
skinnywhitekid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skinnywhitekid For This Useful Post:
02LincolnTownCar (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnywhitekid View Post
A car this new should not have to practice coasting to stop signs. You should be getting the mpg's no matter what with something that new. The older ones do make a huge difference on how you drive them. I would have a full tune up done on it. something with that many miles will be little worse too.

I beg to differ. If you're driving like a bat of hell, your MPG will reflect this. If your foot tends to go directly from the accelerator to the brake pedal, you need to change your driving habits. If you're the first car 'off the line' at red lights, change the way you drive. My 1996 Cartier with 160,000 miles is getting 29.8 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH and your car should get the same or better. I average 23 MPG city because of THE WAY I DRIVE. The Spark Plugs in my car have seen 40k miles. I'm thinking I'll change them soon but when you're getting almost 30 MPG in a Lincoln Town Car, why bother?

Check your tire pressure - tires not properly inflated can rob you of MPG.

And finally - when you're pressing the accelerator, you're using gas. If you can coast that 1/4 mile, you can save gas. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see what I'm saying.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
02LincolnTownCar
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnywhitekid View Post

Thanks for the input I'm going to try that I was just hoping some one had a similar situation and fix
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
02LincolnTownCar
AF Newbie

Quote:
I beg to differ. If you're driving like a bat of hell, your MPG will reflect this. If your foot tends to go directly from the accelerator to the brake pedal, you need to change your driving habits. If you're the first car 'off the line' at red lights, change the way you drive. My 1996 Cartier with 160,000 miles is getting 29.8 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH and your car should get the same or better. I average 23 MPG city because of THE WAY I DRIVE. The Spark Plugs in my car have seen 40k miles. I'm thinking I'll change them soon but when you're getting almost 30 MPG in a Lincoln Town Car, why bother?

Check your tire pressure - tires not properly inflated can rob you of MPG.

And finally - when you're pressing the accelerator, you're using gas. If you can coast that 1/4 mile, you can save gas. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see what I'm saying.
I see what you are saying but even If i'm driving like a bat out of hell the instrument panel shouldn't tell me i'm getting 5, 6, or 8 miles a gallon but thanks for the input
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

I agree with All2kool, if you drive like there is no tomorrow, even a 4 cyl. will have low fuel economy.

Having said that, you could try cleaning your MAF sensor too. Use only MAF cleaner or electric contact cleaner available at most autoparts stores. Take a look at it under a magnifying glass and you should be able to see some dirty on it...

Perhaps even a vacuum leak... Make sure all the hoses running to the throttle body are OK. If you have a live data capable scanner you can take a look at the LTFT's to make sure if you PCM is adding too much fuel or if something is out of the normal.

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olopezm For This Useful Post:
02LincolnTownCar (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
02LincolnTownCar
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
I agree with All2kool, if you drive like there is no tomorrow, even a 4 cyl. will have low fuel economy.

Having said that, you could try cleaning your MAF sensor too. Use only MAF cleaner or electric contact cleaner available at most autoparts stores. Take a look at it under a magnifying glass and you should be able to see some dirty on it...

Perhaps even a vacuum leak... Make sure all the hoses running to the throttle body are OK. If you have a live data capable scanner you can take a look at the LTFT's to make sure if you PCM is adding too much fuel or if something is out of the normal.

Oscar.
Yeah i see what both of you were saying, but i'm not getting a chance to drive fast or far because the gas is burning out too fast. tomorrow i'm supposed to change the plugs and possibly the fuel filter i'll post after and let you all know what happened. since i changed the oil air filter and flushed the radiator it seems to be holding steady at 8.5 miles a gallon but that's still not normal, wish me luck tomorrow and thanks for all the input and suggestions.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02LincolnTownCar View Post
Yeah i see what both of you were saying, but i'm not getting a chance to drive fast or far because the gas is burning out too fast. tomorrow i'm supposed to change the plugs and possibly the fuel filter i'll post after and let you all know what happened. since i changed the oil air filter and flushed the radiator it seems to be holding steady at 8.5 miles a gallon but that's still not normal, wish me luck tomorrow and thanks for all the input and suggestions.
When you changed the Air Filter - did you reattach the Sensor to the side of the Air Box? It can easily come off and go unnoticed.
The Following User Says Thank You to All2kool For This Useful Post:
02LincolnTownCar (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
02LincolnTownCar
AF Newbie

Quote:
When you changed the Air Filter - did you reattach the Sensor to the side of the Air Box? It can easily come off and go unnoticed.
I didn't even notice one on there, i'll have to check in the morning. what side is it on the driver or the passenger? or is it front or rear?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
I didn't even notice one on there, i'll have to check in the morning. what side is it on the driver or the passenger? or is it front or rear?
Rear, as I recall. Small Sensor, half-turn or so locks it in place.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
All2kool
AF Regular

Quote:
Rear, as I recall. Small Sensor, half-turn or so locks it in place. It may not be present on an '02 LTC but it is on my '96.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Are you talking about the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor?

I think it was removed from the airbox to be relocated into the MAF sensor itself. That's why some newer models have a 6 pin MAF sensor.

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote