Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
utikusubaru123
AF Newbie

Angry battery charges then drains i need help

hi I have a recently new battery that I charge and when it is fully charged I disconnect it from the charger and the battery is out of the car and not connected. when I put a volt meter on it its drains the voltage and goes down like 12.7 to 12.6 to 12.5 and so on and drains completely. it is a sealed heavy duty battery that I recently brought and was using it on the car but left the stereo going by mistake and drained it to 9.7 volts. any help would be appreciated and any advice on charging it properly would be most helpful its is a 12v heavy duty 2167 battery

utikusubaru123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: battery charges then drains i need help

You may have killed your battery. You need to do a load test on the battery.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
TheCarGuy705
AF Newbie

Post Re: battery charges then drains i need help

A fully charged battery is 12.6V if it drains completely without connecting it to the car its a bad battery. maybe see if you have a warranty. theres probably a dead cell in it. does your battery have caps? so you can add distilled water to it? I wouldn't spend money on a load test.
TheCarGuy705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #4
W.smith
AF Newbie

Use a new volt meter or use the volt meter to check other batteries to check if it is the problem of your volt meter.
W.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Walter Raymond
AF Newbie

Sounds to me like you have bad cell. A load tester is only $20 or so. If you really want to try to fix it yourself you can try the distilled water method, though I wouldn't advise. This is the exact reason i carry a load tester on my tow truck. Good Luck with it!
Walter Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:17 AM   #6
KindaichiShota
AF Newbie

You can check the battery through voltmeter. There are 2 types of voltmeter you can select to test your battery. One is analogue and other one is digital voltmeter. Selecting digital voltmeter will be the best, because its easier to read and gives you an accurate measurement. Yet, there are some things drivers should know:

Firstly carefully check your car ignition before procedure. Make sure that the car ignition key and all the lights are turned off. Secondly, car owners should remove the battery’s positive terminal cover, along with checking these terminals and clean them well. Thirdly, always remember that the positive lead of the voltmeter should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery, which is red in color. Meanwhile, the negative lead of the voltmeter connected to the negative terminal of your battery, which is mostly black in color. Fourthly after completing these parts, you can see the voltmeter will show result based on the battery condition. Volts from 12.4 to 12.7 indicated that battery in good condition.

In the result of the voltmeter when you will see value less then 12.4 volts means your battery is weak and it need charge to get better. In case the value showing more lower then 12.2, then give your battery a slow charge and check again by following the same steps. On the other hand if the value shows higher then 12.9, then its an indication that your battery has excess voltage. So, try to turn the high beams to remove the excessive voltage charge.

Good Luck..
KindaichiShota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Hotrod10
AF Newbie

Rather than buying a load tester, charge it and then take it into almost any auto parts store and ask them to test it. If it fails (which sounds likely from your description) and it's under warranty, take it back where you got it, with the printout from the parts store and get a replacement. If it fails and it's not under warranty, take it in as the core on a new battery, and get one with a decent warranty this time.
Hotrod10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:31 PM   #8
AUDEW Official
AF Newbie

Don't assume that NEW is OK, both alternators and batteries are defective when out-of-the-box.
Step one for a good tech is to ignore the word NEW and test the system.
A charge system should be putting around 14.6 volts out, and into a battery.
A battery at 12.6 volts is considered OK, but may not be.
If the car starts after sitting a few minutes, but doesn't after it sits "overnight", something in the car is draining it, like a fuel leak empties your gas tank.
There are systems in a modern car that are draining your battery, but "go to sleep" in a short time. If they are defective, it's like an invisible dome light left on, or worse, leaving your headlights on...
Don't assume the parts you replaced are working until someone checks an amperage draw on your battery. Modern cars are a pain, but sometimes throwing parts at them doesn't solve a problem; get someone to check it...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General