Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
jgr7
AF Regular

98 C-RV sometimes dies

My 98 C-RV just started what having seems like a power relay opening up and killing the power and the engine. While driving the other day all the dash power, radio and everything else started going on and off very fast 3-4 times then stayed off with the engine dying. I pulled to the side of the road and turned the key off and then on and it started back up. I was on the way to the airport for a trip to Italy so I turned around an went home and took another car to the airport, didn't want it to die and miss my flight. Now that I am back it hasn't died again but it has had a few times where it doesn't start right away it will turn over but die as soon as I let off the key. Any ideas?
jeff
jgr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
jgr7
AF Regular

Re: 98 C-RV sometimes dies

Still having the occasional shut off. Any one have any ideas? I am wondering if it is the electric part of the ignition switch. The back not the key part. Or if it could be a relay?
The last time this happened the radio stayed on and I was able to check the headlights and they came on when I turned on the switch. When I tried to start it cranked over and seemed to start but as soon as I let off of the key it died. Tried 4-5 times then turned the key off on on completely a couple of times and it started, hasn't done it since.
Jeff
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
dan fitz
AF Newbie

had a similar problem with my 99 crv, there is a recall on the ignition switch which was the source of the problem, just driving along and the car would just die. after pulling over and trying to start it, eventually it would start and be just fine, and then randomly would die again. i'm guessing the 98's are included but call a dealer with your vin and they'll let you know.
dan fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
jgr7
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan fitz View Post
had a similar problem with my 99 crv, there is a recall on the ignition switch which was the source of the problem, just driving along and the car would just die. after pulling over and trying to start it, eventually it would start and be just fine, and then randomly would die again. i'm guessing the 98's are included but call a dealer with your vin and they'll let you know.
Thanks Thats what I had been leaning to was the ignition switch. I will call the dealer.
Jeff
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
madukes0
AF Newbie

Hello, I have had this problem with my 98 Honda CR-V. If you turn the key ever so slightly ..not quite to the start position (or it WILL grind) it will start running again .. I have learned how to Shift, and turn while holding the Key in that position... ITS NOT EASY !! It has been very Hard to explain to people...but I'm Glad I found a valid explanation for it. I will defiantly be calling a dealer.
I didn't however receive a call back notice, and so I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not I will have to pay for the part or the service?
Thanks

Last edited by madukes0; 03-01-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added info
madukes0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Helplesshonda
AF Newbie

I just called hon da and had my ignition reclled in 2012 they did the swap out. Now my honda dies again while driving. Called corporate and they told me to replace it again at my cost.. hmmm.seems if this had been a problem from the beginning g they should be responsible?. I wonder if there have been any major accidents due to this problem. I know when I get a new vehicle it won't be a HONDA!!!!!
Helplesshonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Helplesshonda
AF Newbie

Tell me about it same problem is yours running g now that you chanel the ignition for the second time
Old 08-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Helplesshonda
AF Newbie

It's the ignition switch...had the same problem...changed the switch and it's all fixed..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V