Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Real world opinions on GTI reliability wanted

I want a sporty hatchback with a manual transmission. I have narrowed my choices to the GTI, Mazda 3 and Hyundai Veloster. The GTI is a highly rated car in mags, but none of those guys actually OWN one for any length of time. Since I'm the kind of guy that drives a car to the end, I could care less about resale value. What I want is a fun, practical, sporty car that gets good MPG, but also won't be sitting in my garage causing me to swear a lot while fixing it. Can I get some honest real world reliability opinions from people that actually own a GTI? Thanks in advance.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Real world opinions on GTI reliability wanted

I'd go for a GTI. The Mazda is a decent car as far as I know, but I've never owned one so I don't have much personal experience to base it on. I don't know much about the Hyundai Veloster. I saw it and knew I could never buy one because of the way the back of the car is styled... I think it's hideous, but that's just my opinion.
I've had a 2003 Golf (not a GTI ) for over 3 years. I think the only thing that would make my car better would be if it were faster, and that's what a GTI is all about. Same reliability and practicality, but more fun (and maybe slightly lower fuel economy but still not bad) If you went for a GTI, I doubt you would regret it.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion