Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Members Projects Discussion of the AF 2G DSM Project Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #151
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to boostjunkie333
Re: Junkies 97 RS Rebuild(1st timer!)

Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
boostjunkie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #152
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

So you can see the two rods that look burnt up lol...

The cylinders, although you cant tell by the pics, look pretty clean and not messed up anywhere. The pistons look good and so do the rings from what I can tell so still not sure If i wanna buy new ones or not. Crank journals also looked ok.

So, I take it I need 2 new rods?
Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #153
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Wow look at all the heat in those rods! Yea u definately need 2 new ones. Also I'm guessing you know this but you need to have the crank turned and use oversized bearings
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #154
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Yep...yep......which, ive been meaning to ask. Im going to take it all to the machine shop I found here in my city which they specialize in engine work, so heres what I need to know from you guys.

The block, what do I need to tell them to do? Clean it? port and polish? is that it? Can I even do anything else to it?

The head, I know I need the valves to be ground, but is that all I need? Should I do anything else while im in there performance wise? Do I need to take them the head with the valve train still assembled in it? minus the rocker arms that obviously came out already..
Old 03-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #155
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

I wouldn't take the block there unless you want to get the head surface decked a little to insure a good seal on the HG. You need to take him the crank for sure and have him fix that. If the head was rebuilt when the motor was then you dont have to do another valve job on it but you can if you want to. What they do is regrind the valve seat and the valve to get a good seal and them shave a little off the stem. I replaced the valves when I did my head but you can reuse them. You also could have it ported and polished while your in there. It will help the motor breath a little better but dont expect huge gains from it.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 03-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #156
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

So when I have the crank done...do I just ask them to give me bearings that'll fit it?(which ones need to be oversized, mains, or rod ones?)

How much does it cost to have to block decked? And to have the head ported and the valves done? Ill probably at least get the valves done. And do I just take them the head with everything still assembled in it?

Thought I would have to do more than that. Maybe now ill have extra money for 2 new rods =)
Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #157
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostjunkie333 View Post
How much does it cost to have to block decked? And to have the head ported and the valves done? Ill probably at least get the valves done. And do I just take them the head with everything still assembled in it?
When I took my block in I had 2 cracked fixed, decked, bored, and polished the crank for ~$400. So you can kinda go from there how much it'll be.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #158
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok, so I really only need it to be decked, if im planning on keep the same pistons that is.

So, what about the crank? Just ask for bearing that fit the rods or the mains?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #159
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Also, since i found a whole bearings worth of metal flake in the oil pan, I should have it hot tanked and inspected rather than cleaning it myself correct?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #160
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

The oil pan? Just washed it out. Wipe it down with a rag after washing and you'll be good.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #161
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

No no the block....bc of the oil passages. Lol sry i see where that was confusing.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #162
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

I wouldn't be to worried about it, but like i said make sure to replace the oil pump. Was there any metal past the strainer on the pickup tube?

I ordered my bearings from the machine shop to make sure i got the right ones so you should try and do that. You should just need the rod journals fixed.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #163
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok, cool.

Yeah there was metal flake everywhere...like...it was a mess.

ALSO, I wanted to know, I have motor oil inside the exhaust and intake mani's, not to mention they are all gunked up anyways...hows best to clean those things? Like the best/right way. Ive just now noticed how hard it is to clean somehting with oil on it...
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #164
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Oven cleaner and a small brush worked well for the intake manifold. The exhaust you should be able to do the same

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #165
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok. Ill update after something happens...Im taking the stuff to the machine shop tom. or the next day...

Anyone know about how long the turn around on these things is?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects