Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
vzfox
AF Regular

Question 1995 318is....windows act strange

From time to time my power windows on both sides will act strange.

Passenger...If I roll it all the way down and then try to roll it back up, it will stop about 1/4 the way up. It wont make noise, just stops...I have to open the door and tap the switch up before it will go up bit by bit. If I dont roll it down all the way I dont have this problem, only when I roll it down completely.

Driver....The auto door open/close of the window does not operate at all. It does the exact same thing as the passenger side window, stopping at odd points if I roll it down completely. Only difference with the drivers window is, when i do roll it down completely it will crunch n grind when it hits the bottom.

Any ideas or hints would be greatly appriciated
vzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
vzfox
AF Regular

Re: 1995 318is....windows act strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzfox View Post
From time to time my power windows on both sides will act strange.

Passenger...If I roll it all the way down and then try to roll it back up, it will stop about 1/4 the way up. It wont make noise, just stops...I have to open the door and tap the switch up before it will go up bit by bit. If I dont roll it down all the way I dont have this problem, only when I roll it down completely.

Driver....The auto door open/close of the window does not operate at all. It does the exact same thing as the passenger side window, stopping at odd points if I roll it down completely. Only difference with the drivers window is, when i do roll it down completely it will crunch n grind when it hits the bottom.

Any ideas or hints would be greatly appriciated

I was told they have some sort of "memory" to them and they dont know where to stop at when rolling them up. Is this true and how do you reset the memory?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
vzfox
AF Regular

Cool Re: 1995 318is....windows act strange

Update (not that anyone is reading or responding lol)

I replaced both window motors and window switches. The drivers window now acts as it should with no issues. The passenger window however, thats a different story all together....it will roll up and down without noise or issues, but it does not have memory to roll the window down a smidge when the door is opened and it runs in reverse. If I press the up button on the switch, the window goes down and down goes up. All I did was turn the switch itself 180 degrees so it appears as if top is up and bottom is down (make sense?).

The passenger window by all means isnt working correctly but at least I can roll the window up and down manually now. Any suggestions would be way helpful