Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Members Projects Discussion of the AF 2G DSM Project Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #391
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: Junkies 97 RS Rebuild(1st timer!)

You cant get rid of it. Like I said it has to do with the disc you put in is not absorbing the gear noise from the tranny. Its not a big deal, its something you have to deal with when making real power. If you have adjustable cam gears use those to correct timing. If its only off a tooth it wont hurt anything. I drove my car for 1k miles with the timing off before I even knew it. A compression test keyed me in to the timing being off.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #392
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

I'm working on the final wiring for your car dude. I'll have it to you sometime this week. 97s have weird pin layouts.

Cams are non-adjustable. Would have done that when I was there. I think it may be off a little more than just 1 tooth, or at least on both cams. One tooth will make the car run bad, but yours really wasn't holding idle too well. Compression test or do the straw test. Wish I had more time out there to do that.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #393
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

ha the straw test. Guess my method is now famous. That really isin't going to tell you much just that the cams are or aren't 180 off. You probably wont be able to tell if its a tooth off or not
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #394
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to boostjunkie333

Ok thanks....started sodering in the wires tonight for the ms harness. Gonna just leave the 2 fuel inj wires loose and let the tuners do whatever they have to do with it. But I will go ahead and do the rest and also install all the gauges b4 I turn it over to them. It sucks that I have to set the timing and if I didn't do it right the first time then it's guesswork at this point...lol. easiest way is to just unbolt the tensioner and compress it again right? Good opportunity to replace it... is there a trick to setting it just right? Besides lining the marks up?Obviously that didn't work out too well for me lol. And as for the clutch, why would it not make the noise b4 my build...like at all....ran completely quiet. and now after my build its noisy at idle...this is bugging me to death....makes me kind of angry that I pulled the trans off to fix it but that didnt do anything...I know for a fact the tob went back on the clutch fork and everything went back in perfectly. The trans lined up with the motor perfectly. .........=/
Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
boostjunkie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #395
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Tensioner does have to come off. I have my used tensioner (about 5,000 miles on it) that you can have if you want. It's like new.

Something I do when timing is I look at the head totally flat and make sure the lopes on the cams that are facing up and straight up. I'll use a flat edge to check that. Maybe pull the valve cover and look when motor is TDC to see if the lopes facing up are 100% up. I forget which cylinders at TDC are facing straight up, but can get that info if you need. Would tell if the cams are installed right.

I'm home tonight after a work BBQ so I'll finsh up the wiring diagram. I'll send it over when done.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #396
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Took the car to Epic Motorsports here in NC...they told me they would begin working in it Monday, and I should have it back by the end of next week so...not too bad...just excited to finally start driving it again(been driving a crown vic!!!)

Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
Old 07-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #397
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Is the motor broken in all the way? Hope they get it running good for you. How much boost you going to be pushing?

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #398
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

No it's not broken in but they aren't tuning it yet, just a few odds and inns like getting my air fuel gauge to function properly lol. I gave up on that one. As for boost, it ran between 19-20 b4 my build so...someday maybe a little more than that?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #399
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok, update time.

Got a call from the shop working on my car. The news is as follows:

They got my air/fuel gauge working(I couldnt seem to get it to function correctly like the rest of the gauges).

The timing was off just slightly, so they are gonna set that.

And for the grand finale, the mysterious noise which has been coming from my transmission has been found! Apparently, on the other end of the imput shaft which is inside the trans, that you cant see, has a part on it that somehow got damaged or bent, from what I could tell that the guy was telling me. I can't remember if he said it was a pulley or something, whatver it is, they are gonna replace it. I deduced that its more than likely from me trying to get the motor back in after the build, when I knew I was putting stress on the shaft...like I had this feeling I was doing it...that must be it.

So thats where it stands. Then when Dave breezes thru good ol' NC again i'm gonna call snatches on some talon parts

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects