Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
publicenemy137
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to publicenemy137
american cars or import cars better??

Hmm I drive an import, my family drives an import, but all my friends drive domestics. What are the pros and cons of each?? It seems most people are either import or domestic. Right now I know imports are better on gas, definetly more reilable and last longer. While American cars are faster for your buck, parts are cheaper and getting it fixed is much easier and cheaper than imports. Hopefully this won't start a flame war here, and don't pull out facts from your ass that aren't proven or lies.

Last edited by publicenemy137; 12-05-2003 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:02 AM   #2
Cory_Watts
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Cory_Watts Send a message via MSN to Cory_Watts Send a message via Yahoo to Cory_Watts
Re: american cars or import cars better??

i like both...its all personal preference
Old 12-07-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

Public : I think you resume quite well the situation about the difference between American car and European&Japanese cars.
However, I think there are other big differences. As the performances are concerned... mhhh, I never saw the interest of having a very powerfull engine when we see how is the driving in North America; plus, I'd say that, (as the Pirelli adv says) "without control, the power is nothing"... and we can't say that the handling is the main quality of American car !
I'd see an other big difference between these cars : the size. Often, American cars are -much- bigger than Euro and Japs. Look at the automotive park in Europe : many compact cars (307, Golf, Mégane, 147, Civic) and mid size (3 Series, Laguna, Passat, Lybra) etc. without speaking about Smart, Twingo, Lupo, and these little citycars (often not overpassing the 100mph of max speed : you can't go on highways)
Big cars are not much apprecied in big towns like Paris, Bonn, London, Rome, Madrid, Bruxelles, except if you've a private parking
So in the USA and Canada, the situation is very different. The roads are quite huge, except maybe NY or SF, you can park and drive easily in American towns. So these big cars (SUV, Vans, Pick-Up, Limo etc.) are not a problem, and these cars are a big part of the American auto industry.

...hum.... that's my little analysis on this question.

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Old 12-08-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Your question is to vague. Comparing specific cars works well, but comparing hundreds of different styles is a virtual impossibility.

All manufactures (major ones anyway) have a car/truck that will fit the needs of anyone. The issue is matching up specifics about a car to the needs of the driver - not where it was produced.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:27 PM   #5
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan

pick a car you like,and go for it!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i like imports the best. when u said that american cars have the best bang for the buck, they do, but imports can to, cuz u can spend 50 grand on a integra and make it fast as hell. i also like imports more cuz u can upgrade them better and make them unique with body kits, there arent that many body kits for domestic cars. dont get me wrong, i still like my share of domestics (i.e. viper and corvette), but i jus like imports better, especially ferrari.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:01 AM   #7
Kamakazze15
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kamakazze15 Send a message via Yahoo to Kamakazze15

this thread might stir up a few things between the import and domestic lovers. But Ive been around american classics, muscles, and cars all my life...Nothing can compare
Old 01-10-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
BMW_4.4i
AF Regular

Imports are the better of the two. They last forever, and never have some of the odd problems that the Fords and GMs do. I have a 2000 Toyota Land Crusier with 120000+ miles on it, and have only done oil changes, one tune up one brake job, and new tires. That is it, no engine problems. The paint is glossy, and the interior is awesome. Plus, it is still as quiet as a new camry, and has years left on it. Show me a Ford or GM that is like this truck.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
GP2K
AF Newbie

Re: Re: american cars or import cars better??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_4.4i
Imports are the better of the two. They last forever, and never have some of the odd problems that the Fords and GMs do. I have a 2000 Toyota Land Crusier with 120000+ miles on it, and have only done oil changes, one tune up one brake job, and new tires. That is it, no engine problems. The paint is glossy, and the interior is awesome. Plus, it is still as quiet as a new camry, and has years left on it. Show me a Ford or GM that is like this truck.
Hmphh!!! I on the other hand had nothing but problems with my import cars (Camry and Sentra), but nothing wrong with any of my domestics (Caddy and Pontiac). So on this assumption all imports are shit and all domestics are bulletproof!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #10
BMW_4.4i
AF Regular

I trully do not mean to insult American cars. I do like them. It is just i have had nothing but problems with my Chevy Tahoe and Chevy Blazer. The Blazer was crap from the first day...brought it home and the aliginment was off. 10000 miles later, the one of the rear speakers blows. By 20000, the radiator was gone, the power drivers window didn't work, some of the "push button" 4wd components had to be replaced and the drivers seat was starting to wrip at the seams. The Tahoe was great - until it hit 40000 miles. Transmission, 4wd components and other engine problems stopped me from buying American cars. I realize that other people have had different experiences, and I respect their opinions. This is mine. I still love my 78 Golden edition pontiac trans-am. All original with only 12000 original miles on it.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #11
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

You realise that, if you are putting it down to place of build- then most Hondas, BMW Z4's & X5's, Mercedes Benz M Class', most Toyotas, Nissans and Mitsubishis are domestics.

While the Crown Vic, F Bodies, some GM SUV's are all imports.

So technically this thread is redundant.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 01-21-2004, 06:05 AM   #12
Kamakazze15
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kamakazze15 Send a message via Yahoo to Kamakazze15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_4.4i
Dude i have a 1994 cavalier rs. 125,000 miles. Havent had one problem...Its not the cars, its the owners of the cars that dont know how to maintain em
Old 01-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #13
BMW_4.4i
AF Regular

As I said before, I have just had better luck with forgein cars and trucks, that's all. I like American, and I would love to drive an American car, but I drive a lot of miles 700-1100 a week and just cant be bothered with the problems i have had with these cars. Maybe I will buy another in a few years and give it another try. I know plenty of people who have had great luck with their GM's and Fords.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #14
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

If you buy a cheap import it will last forever, if you buy a cheap domestic it will fall apart.

Buy an expensive import it will last forever, buy an expensive domestic and it will last for a bit longer than a cheap one.

That is from my experance. Unless it is a truck, domestic trucks rock. But not a fan of the cars really.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 PM   #15
BMW_4.4i
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Turbo944
If you buy a cheap import it will last forever, if you buy a cheap domestic it will fall apart.

Buy an expensive import it will last forever, buy an expensive domestic and it will last for a bit longer than a cheap one.

That is from my experance. Unless it is a truck, domestic trucks rock. But not a fan of the cars really.
Exactly. That is a perfect explanation

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A