Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Shut down

If the problem with fuel pressure under 2k rpms, it's the primary pump.

You can bench test the pump!
12volts/17amp fuse = blown fuse
A good pump should have around .75 ohms, not 00 ohms (short)

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1064333

Last edited by danielsatur; 07-02-2011 at 02:25 PM.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
tkswan
AF Regular

Fuel pump installed. Rod your blow the fuse test didnt work. Don't know why but i couldn't get it to blow a fuse. I did install a new fuel pump, against my better judgement because i don't like throwing parts at cars unless i'm sure they are the problem. installed a new primary pump on the passenger side. interesting setup. Back on the road and shes once again runs like shes scared. Thanks everybody for all your assistance

oh yea, i now have a CEL 1237 but i don't know if it came before the pump install or after. when it wouldn't start all the dash lights stayed on. I scanned it after the first instance of the shut down and there was no codes, i'm thinking this is going to clear itself out on its own after i drive it for awhile.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

P1237 - Was probably pending prior to the new pump.
Reset clear code, or go through a drive cycle.
see Google ''Lincoln LS drive cycle''

Was your fuel pump expensive?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #19
Tony Silva
AF Regular

that code was probably developing before the pump went bad. Kinda wierd, the computer gets info that something is going bad, but it waits to give the code just incase it misread a sensor wrong...kinda like, if a sensor goes bad...the comp will wait till it sees the same sensor sending it the wrong info over and over again....then it will finally determine that the sensor is infact bad and throw the code.
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #20
tkswan
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
P1237 - Was probably pending prior to the new pump.
Reset clear code, or go through a drive cycle.
see Google ''Lincoln LS drive cycle''

Was your fuel pump expensive?
Autozone $150. Pump, filters, and I need a 5.5mm socket to open the housing. What you remove from the car is a container like thing that you have to disassemble to get to the pump. Hopefully you wont have a full tank of gas like i did. If so get some rubber gloves.
danielsatur (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like a real good deal, because LS service would of charged $500-$800.
It really depends on how long it takes to pinpoint the problem, and how many parts they throw at it.

Caution -We like pulling the fuse pump fuse + relay, and run the engine out of fuel for safety before servicing the fuel pump.
Sparks + fuel - dangerous

Last edited by danielsatur; 07-03-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #22
tkswan
AF Regular

Quote:
Sounds like a real good deal, because LS service would of charged $500-$800.
It really depends on how long it takes to pinpoint the problem, and how many parts they throw at it.

Caution -We like pulling the fuse pump fuse + relay, and run the engine out of fuel for safety before servicing the fuel pump.
Sparks + fuel - dangerous
I know, that's why I pulled the fuse, the relay, and the first thing i did was unplug the pump. Should have remover the positive of the battery but im cool, its not like im standing on carpet or anything.

Hey btw the odbii code is still lurking around. CEL is still on. I could erase the codes myself but i want it to go off on its own. How long should it take to complete a reset cycle? Since its an enhanced code should I just erase it manually?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #23
shorod
SHO No Mo

Sorry about not sending the instructions on removing the fuel pumps, but I'm glad you got it figured out. I'm a bit concerned that you were not able to get the fuse to blow. That makes me suspect that maybe a wire for the pump was positioned just right that it was shorting out, but once you started moving things around, the short went away and you were unable to blow the fuse. Did you happen to bench test the old pump after you removed it?

Assuming the code you are getting is a P1237, that is a code for "Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Malfunction" with possible causes described as:
  • Open or shorted FP PWR circuit
  • Open FP Return circuit to Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM)
  • Open or shorted circuit in the fuel pump
  • Locked fuel pump rotor
  • Damaged FPDM
  • For LS6/LS8, circuits associated with the Fuel Pump relay
There's also a note that reads, "The FPDM sends a 75% duty cycle (750 msec ON, 250 msec OFF) through the FPM circuit to the PCM while the fault is being detected by the FPDM. If the fault is no longer detected, the PCM will return to sending an "all OK" (50% duty cycle) message to the PCM. The PCM will keep P1237 stored in Continuous Memory." This code may have been set when trying to blow a fuse with the fuel pump disconnected. Now that you have everything back together, it sounds like you'll need to clear the diagnostic codes and see if it comes back.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #24
tkswan
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Sorry about not sending the instructions on removing the fuel pumps, but I'm glad you got it figured out. I'm a bit concerned that you were not able to get the fuse to blow. That makes me suspect that maybe a wire for the pump was positioned just right that it was shorting out, but once you started moving things around, the short went away and you were unable to blow the fuse. Did you happen to bench test the old pump after you removed it?

Assuming the code you are getting is a P1237, that is a code for "Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Malfunction" with possible causes described as:
  • Open or shorted FP PWR circuit
  • Open FP Return circuit to Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM)
  • Open or shorted circuit in the fuel pump
  • Locked fuel pump rotor
  • Damaged FPDM
  • For LS6/LS8, circuits associated with the Fuel Pump relay
There's also a note that reads, "The FPDM sends a 75% duty cycle (750 msec ON, 250 msec OFF) through the FPM circuit to the PCM while the fault is being detected by the FPDM. If the fault is no longer detected, the PCM will return to sending an "all OK" (50% duty cycle) message to the PCM. The PCM will keep P1237 stored in Continuous Memory." This code may have been set when trying to blow a fuse with the fuel pump disconnected. Now that you have everything back together, it sounds like you'll need to clear the diagnostic codes and see if it comes back.

-Rod
I still have easy access to the wires so I will go back and take a closer look at them to see if there is any obvious wire damage. That's a no on the bench test of the old pump. And yep, I was trying to blow a fuse by unplugging the pump. I will clear the codes out and give it some time.

Thanks rod
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #25
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Info - This is what happens when the Jet Pump go's bad, see http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=975424
The Following User Says Thank You to danielsatur For This Useful Post:
tkswan (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
tkswan
AF Regular

Quote:
Info - This is what happens when the Jet Pump go's bad, see http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=975424
From what I learned the jet pumps have the job of boosting fuel pressure (and transfer) to the main pump at high rpms. Comes in handy for those drivers that like to push the car around a bit. I read that it engages when the car is under a load. Thats why its so easy to start troubleshooting the the ignition system first. regardless, this is a good post for any one who wants to understand how the fuel pumps work on this car. I guess if its feeling like a misfire or weak, yet there is no CEL for a misfire, check under the back seats.

Oh and another tip or two, when changing the pump be careful with:

1 - those plastic caps that secure the fuel lines to the top of the pump are made of that CHEAP PLASTIC we all hate, getting them to release will try your patience. Don't get pissed and break them.

2 - when you get the ring off, and can see down in the tank, the pump assembly should lift right out. NOT TRUE. The assembly rests inside an outer bracket and is held in by two long plastic clips very visible from the top view. Release those two clips and then the pump assembly will free itself from the bracket.

Great learning experience on this. Thanks everybody.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkswan View Post
From what I learned the jet pumps have the job of boosting fuel pressure (and transfer) to the main pump at high rpms. Comes in handy for those drivers that like to push the car around a bit. I read that it engages when the car is under a load. Thats why its so easy to start troubleshooting the the ignition system first. regardless, this is a good post for any one who wants to understand how the fuel pumps work on this car. I guess if its feeling like a misfire or weak, yet there is no CEL for a misfire, check under the back seats.

Oh and another tip or two, when changing the pump be careful with:

1 - those plastic caps that secure the fuel lines to the top of the pump are made of that CHEAP PLASTIC we all hate, getting them to release will try your patience. Don't get pissed and break them.

2 - when you get the ring off, and can see down in the tank, the pump assembly should lift right out. NOT TRUE. The assembly rests inside an outer bracket and is held in by two long plastic clips very visible from the top view. Release those two clips and then the pump assembly will free itself from the bracket.

Great learning experience on this. Thanks everybody.
Sorry, no. The LS fuel tank and two sumps. The jet pump is so that you can use the gasoline in the other half of the fuel tank. It doesn't boost pressure or have anything to do with engine speed.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #28
tkswan
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Sorry, no. The LS fuel tank and two sumps. The jet pump is so that you can use the gasoline in the other half of the fuel tank. It doesn't boost pressure or have anything to do with engine speed.
...not the way it was explained to me.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #29
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkswan View Post
...not the way it was explained to me.
My info is from a practical understanding of the system. As an alternate to that, here's some info from the factory service manual.

The vehicle:

is equipped with a multiport fuel injection (MFI) system.
uses separately controlled fuel injectors mounted to the intake manifold for each cylinder.
has fuel injectors that are supplied with pressurized fuel from the fuel delivery module through the jet pump transfer module, through the fuel injection supply manifold.
has a fuel injection supply manifold that is controlled by the electronic fuel delivery module which is enabled by the powertrain control module (PCM).
uses an electronic returnless fuel system.
has a dual-container (saddle type) fuel tank, each half equipped with a fuel level sensor.
has a fuel transfer pump in the left fuel tank half to supply fuel to the right, which contains the fuel pump module that supplies fuel under pressure to the fuel injection supply manifold.
has an inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch, located behind the driver side left foot kick panel, which shuts off the fuel in the event of collision.
has a fuel system filter, located behind the left front wheel well splash shield.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joegr For This Useful Post:
tkswan (07-12-2011)