Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
hollywood13185
AF Newbie

Coil pack or Trans?

Ive got a 2000 LS V-8 it feels like its jerking or slipping from 2nd to 3rd and sumtimes from 4th to 5th almost like it doesnt know what to do. Neither the engine or tranny light has come on, the car is so quiet I cant tell if its motor or tranny causing the problem. It idles fine and only does it during acceleration and I can rev it to about 3 grand and it sounds fine, thats why i think it might be the tranny. Some one please help. Im bout sick of this car!

Last edited by hollywood13185; 08-24-2008 at 11:52 AM.
hollywood13185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
hollywood13185
AF Newbie

Re: Coil pack or Trans?

Never mind guys, I put my old plugs back in and all is fine. Dont use Bocsh Platinum 2 splitfires, My LS hated em.
hollywood13185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
2005LSdude
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood13185
Ive got a 2000 LS V-8 it feels like its jerking or slipping from 2nd to 3rd and sumtimes from 4th to 5th almost like it doesnt know what to do. Neither the engine or tranny light has come on, the car is so quiet I cant tell if its motor or tranny causing the problem. It idles fine and only does it during acceleration and I can rev it to about 3 grand and it sounds fine, thats why i think it might be the tranny. Some one please help. Im bout sick of this car!
How many miles does it have? I have a '05 and the transmission control module had to be replaced twice (bad O rings in it), it was shifting a little screwy. Their is a service technical bulletin on that part for 05,s , don't know about other years. I just seen it was listed as a emissions control part that is covered under warranty for longer time than the regular bumper to bumper warranty.
2005LSdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
lspaul
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005LSdude
How many miles does it have? I have a '05 and the transmission control module had to be replaced twice (bad O rings in it), it was shifting a little screwy. Their is a service technical bulletin on that part for 05,s , don't know about other years. I just seen it was listed as a emissions control part that is covered under warranty for longer time than the regular bumper to bumper warranty.
Sometimes ours bucks or jerks in 5th around 1800rpm on a pull. Dealer replaced a cop, didn't help. No more codes showing.

Wife had a 97 Cougar that did this & dealer changed to a newer tranny fluid & cleared that problem.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

If you have access to a scan tool with Component Parameters display capability, look at the individual cylinder misfire counts to see if one or more cylinders are recording misfires. This parameter will update even if the misfire counts are not high enough to trigger a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
lspaul
AF Newbie

Will a Scangauge II read those parameters?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

I'm not sure. I use an OTC Genisys to read them. That's pretty much the only one I can speak to.

-Rod
Old 06-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
RJLipscomb
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I'm not sure. I use an OTC Genisys to read them. That's pretty much the only one I can speak to.

-Rod
Rod,

My 06 LS V8 is missing a beat under load. The dealer recently replaced one of the coil packs. Similar problem. I want to either get it scanned to know or buy a scanner. Any suggestions on who can scan it (without paying the dealer fees) or where to get the scanner (name, est cost, etc...) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
RJLipscomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
shorod
SHO No Mo

There are probably several professional scan tools on the market that can check the "component parameters" to identify a cylinder misfire before it triggers a diagnostic code. As mentioned in the post above yours, the OTC Genisys is the only one I have first hand experience with for checking these parameters. I believe my Autel DS708 can also do this, but haven't tried it on an LS. The professional scan tools will typically only be found in shops. About all you can do is ask around.

If you Check Engine Light has come on, then pretty much any consumer-grade scan tool should be able to pull the powertrain diagnostic code. Many of of the parts stores will scan the codes at no charge to you.

Ebay, Craig's List, and online vendors are a common source for scan tools, consumer- and professional- grade. For something like the OTC Genisys, expect to pay upwards of $600 for a used one with at least the 2006 model year domestic software. The OTC Nemisys will probably have similar capabilities without the extra features (compared with the Genisys) and will be more affordable. The Autel DS708 is still pretty new so you won't find many used ones. New they run about $1500 online.

-Rod
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLipscomb View Post
Rod,

My 06 LS V8 is missing a beat under load. The dealer recently replaced one of the coil packs. Similar problem. I want to either get it scanned to know or buy a scanner. Any suggestions on who can scan it (without paying the dealer fees) or where to get the scanner (name, est cost, etc...) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
It's a COP (Coil On Plug), not a coil pack.
Anyway, there are often marginal COP failure on the LS that don't set anything that shows up on a scan tool, even the pre-code misfire counts. The dealers now diagnose the coils using oscilloscopes.

Here's the procedure for that.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s4...sb05-22-08.pdf
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ