Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Semiretired
AF Newbie

Snap ring/Drum assy-reverse clutch

Noob here.
Bought a 93 Maxima with AT a while back. Let the daughter drive it.
Get a call and "it won't go hardly at all" She didn't notice anything wrong, but that doesn't mean something didn't go "snap-crackle-pop"
Come to find out, "reverse" is no longer an option, either.
Tranny is limping along in safe mode at 20 MPH.

Now the fun starts...

Searched the board here and Pohjola's page (lots of good advice there).
Took it to a indy (friend of the family) but he doesn't do tranny work. I asked him about the TSB NTB96-009b (found it on the owensfamily website) and he said it could be, but he aint touching it. Cant blame him, I guess.

Next step: I'm taking it to the stealer for an estimate.
After this "wonderful" experience with the stealer, I'm sure I'll need a drink and some heavy decision making and some encouragement from fellow board members.

What do you guys think? Fix it or Craigslist it? Probably couldn't get much more than $1500 with a flaky tranny. It's a 93 with 179K miles. Body is great, engine strong.
Semiretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
consultIII
AF Regular

Re: Snap ring/Drum assy-reverse clutch

my rule of thumb...if the repair cost is more than the value of the car forget it.
consultIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Snap ring/Drum assy-reverse clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiretired View Post
... "reverse" is no longer an option, either.
Tranny is limping along in safe mode at 20 MPH.

... It's a 93 with 179K miles. Body is great, engine strong.
Tranny was waiting for its first oil swap?

The missing R sounds bad. I guess needs to be taken out, opened... or another tranny. The problim is going to be to find a better one.
If rear wheel wells are still healthy (check behind gas-fill-tube-shield), lots miles still ahead - if u fix the tranny. Evaluate also shocks, exhaust, T-belt 'status', alt, starter etc before pouring more money into it.

Safe mode:
- can be low voltage at tranny computer, broken wire, tranny temp or rev sensor (etc).
- Each time engine is started, tranny goes through self test. Should be now givin an error code. What is it? See bottom of page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/21
- Take batt out for minimum 30 minutes. Any change?

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35