Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 08:08 AM   #46
phishphan_23
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to phishphan_23
i like the new z. especially the color. but i plan to buy a classic datsun z instead. new sports cars just weigh too much compared to classics. they try to put too many options on them instead of concentrating on the important stuff like the experience of driving a real car. who cares if your car has every available option when your blowin the doors off the competition.
phishphan_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 02:30 PM   #47
Zman
AF Newbie

Smile

I Love the new M3, but cant justify the extra 20K + over the new Z at this time.
The S2K is an awesome looking car, but I need low end TORQUE. The kind a 4-banger can't deliver. I have a GSR and can't stand that there is nothing under 5800 RPM.
Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 12:23 PM   #48
R35
AF Enthusiast

I believe if you read below (my signature) it tells the whole story.
Yes the S2000 is a kick ass little car, for the price however I would pick the new Z myself.

My favorite all time car is the Skyline, but the Z is the next best thing and dirt cheap

As for the classic 240Z (nice, very nice) compared to the new Z concpet. Well we'll have to wait and see. Nissan say's they're going back to it's roots of an affordable Porsche killer sports car. Once we find out how much power it'll have we can do a weight to power comparison and I'm sure the new Z will come out on top. If you think about it, you can always take out most if not all the "gadgets" to decrease the weight of any car today:alien2:

The only look I want people to have of my car is it's taillights
Old 06-07-2001, 04:27 PM   #49
Adam
AF Enthusiast

ah

ah! another washin'tonion
Old 06-07-2001, 04:27 PM   #50
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Anyone care to state an opinion on the first concept new Z? If my memory is correct I believe it was proposed in 1999, was built on the S14 (240SX) chassis, and looked much more like the original 240Z. I remember the reason Nissan had it redone from scratch was because they didnt want their new cars to look too retro; they needed to show that they were moving forward.

Good idea or bad idea? Heck, it would have been a cool car to drive, but I like the current concept far better. Plus, I think only domestic (U.S.) car companies can pull off "the retro" look, prime examples being the PT Cruiser, and upcoming Thunderbird.

"If I were a rich man..."
...I would get the next Z, and buy that one-off concept from the company too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1999zconcept.jpg (10.2 KB, 2916 views)
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 04:36 PM   #51
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Next Z's engine...

Does anyone know if the VQ35DE engine to be used in the 2003 Z will be the same one used in the current Pathfinder? If so, then wonderful: more spare parts, means cheaper repairs.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:31 PM   #52
R35
AF Enthusiast

"Plus, I think only domestic (U.S.) car companies can pull off "the retro" look, prime examples being the PT Cruiser, and upcoming Thunderbird."

Have to disagree with you on that one. I believe VW was the first to bring the retro look back with the beetle. Like it or hate it, it does look like the original and yet new.

I think the biggest problem will be whether or not Nissan follows through with the current plans? I posted in another "post" how Nissan came on strong in the early 90's (try looking back at the new cars the introduced that year compared to the competion). Now look at then today?! I just hope they deliver the Z on time and bring in the Skyline.

Washington isn't home, it's just where I park my car

in Redmond near that big campus
Old 06-08-2001, 01:29 PM   #53
Adam
AF Enthusiast

i hated the old concept

especially the front lights

ewwwwwwwwww
Old 06-08-2001, 06:36 PM   #54
NissanZ@af
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NissanZ@af
I like the '99 Z Concept, but the '01 Concept is much better.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:20 PM   #55
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Have to disagree with you on that one. I believe VW was the first to bring the retro look back with the beetle. Like it or hate it, it does look like the original and yet new.
--R35USA

Yeah, I wasnt even thinking about European cars, but youre absolutely right on that part. Any news on the VW New Microbus? I heard that the original concept was scrapped because it was too difficult for VW engineers (what? something Germans CANT do?!) to fit an engine in the front and retain its wonderfully familiar flat face. They should place the motor under the floor like the Merc A-class.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:45 PM   #56
R35
AF Enthusiast

They scrapped it?! No way?! Sorry bit off Skyline topics, but that concpet VW was retro cool:sun: That's too bad.

But like my boss likes to insist "we German's don't build crap", say that with a accent:smoka:
Old 06-08-2001, 09:56 PM   #57
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

However, all is not lost. Even thought the original idea was dropped (round headlights, flat face--the same "new" styling concept of the Beetle), it was done in favor of this second concept New Microbus. As you can see, the design consists of some retro, but a lot of new flavor; similar to how Nissan redesigned the new Z concept. No flat face, no round lights, almost seems like a redesigned Vanagon (yuck), but it looks interesting enough:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vw_micro_bus_03.jpg (22.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 06-08-2001, 10:27 PM   #58
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Ok, sorry friends I'll get back on topic.

One question about the new Z: Some sources say that the nice aluminum rear tower brace is going to be removed for production models, while others say that its going to stay. Any news?
Old 06-08-2001, 10:36 PM   #59
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Oh good Lord, you changed your name. HAHA x50
Old 06-08-2001, 10:46 PM   #60
NissanZ@af
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NissanZ@af
Quote:
Originally posted by morpheusxiii
Ok, sorry friends I'll get back on topic.

One question about the new Z: Some sources say that the nice aluminum rear tower brace is going to be removed for production models, while others say that its going to stay. Any news?
Nissan has announced that the aluminum rear tower brace will stay. I think that this is definitely a good choice on Nissan's part.