Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 01:21 AM   #1
mcervantes
Writer mod

2003 Nissan Z Car ( 350Z )

2003 Nissan Z Car

The last letter in sports cars returns, with a vengeance.

How would you like the idea of owning a sports car that can go head-to-head with Porsche’s new Boxter S? Better yet, how would you like paying less than $30,00 for it? Well, if you are type of auto enthusiast I think you are, you’re checking your bank account right now. And Nissan is placing it’s revival plan on just that.

Enter the new Z car. Fresh off it’s debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the Z made the rounds on the international auto show circuit and the covers of American automotive magazines. So far, reaction to the new Z’s looks has been mixed, but the promise of performance has outweighed the subjective issues of the car. But more on looks later....

This new Z is expected to be far and away better than any Z ever offered. Nissan played it very secretive at the debut of its Z “concept.” Execs from the Japanese firm stated that their famed 3.5L VQ-series V6 will produce “260-plus” horsepower for the new Z. According to Nissan, the VQ should propel the Z from 0-60 in under six seconds.

Now, let’s clear up the smoke screen wafting from Nissan North America headquarters in Southern California. Or is it smog? But anyways, expect the car to have 280-to 300 horsepower and rocket to 60mph from a stop in the lower 5 second timeframe.

Nissan is known for developing suspensions and chassis components that are competent and feature dynamics that have something usually lacking in other Japanese cars. Soul. So I’d expect this car to not only be fast in a straight line, but do very well when the roads begin to bend.

And now, back to the looks. While Nissan says that the Z car seen in Detroit was a concept, I’d say it was more of a prototype. Expect the fancy LED taillights to be replaced by traditional bulbs, and look for a revised front bumper design. But if you dislike the overall design, don’t expect much of a change for the production version. Having seen this car at the Los Angeles Auto Show, I must say that it is different. While the pictures make it look similar to the Audi TT but with Celica headlights, I think in person it looks very original. But I still don’t know if I like it yet.

The interior is cold and futuristic. The use of extensive brushed aluminum trim makes me wonder how much excess weight it adds to the bottom line (which is expected to come in at around 3200 lbs). Except for the triple instrument pod design on the console, I’d expect (and hope) things to be different in the production version.

Nissan had a hard time with this new Z. They, in effect, had to please everyone. Would the fans of the original 240Z like it? How about the enthusiasts of the recent 300ZX, would they buy one? In the end, I think Nissan basically disregarded them in favor of a more viable group.....the potential buyers. With Porsche rivaling performance, stylish and unique looks, and an under $30k price tag; I think Nissan has pulled it off stunningly well.

Article Copyright 2001 Mike Cervantes.
Photos Copright 2001 Nissan North America Inc.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:34 PM   #2
carman
AF Regular

Props go to mike for such a well written article.

I hope the Z brings Nissan back to life...
  • b-b00gie
  • kbslacker
Old 08-05-2001, 09:47 PM   #3
superposition
AF Newbie

Are they actually gonna produce this?? Cos I kinda like it..!
Old 08-07-2001, 05:16 PM   #4
Raddog
AF Newbie

I see it's an automatic. Will this car be available in a 6-speed manual?
Old 08-15-2001, 06:05 PM   #5
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Racing Rice Send a message via AIM to Racing Rice
IMO - I think its a great car... I just wander how much coolness will be stripped from it in the production model. Its nice to see Nissan trying to make a comeback.:flash:
Old 08-17-2001, 08:02 AM   #6
Pharty012
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pharty012
DAmn... i'm now trying to figure out what car i want to get now... hmmmm
either the IS300, or jetta with 10k to spend on it.. or this Z car..
it's pretty impressive but......... the is300 is MY CAR~!!!!.. but the Z car loooks tight as shit....
ahhh.. so many choices......
Old 08-24-2001, 08:38 PM   #7
F20C
AF Enthusiast

There is something very fishy from the specs given for 350Z Concept car.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:46 PM   #8
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Pardon me for being frank, but is Nissan going to put that VQ engine in everything? That's the same engine for the Maxima, I30/Cefiro, G35/"next Skyline"... Is that right?
Old 08-24-2001, 08:56 PM   #9
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Altima, Maxima, G35, I35 and Pathfinder. VQ engine series it's Ward's best V6 engine 7 years in running.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:01 PM   #10
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver S2000
I30
Oops. That was obvious.

Again, this is semi-related to my concern that Nissan is seemingly abandoning their RB engine. Not that it would have been in the new Z. I'm not saying the VQ is bad in any way. It certainly seems that Nissan wants it to be versitile.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:03 PM   #11
F20C
AF Enthusiast

VQ engines makes good hp and torque and have displacement to spare. The only way Nissan was going to make it work was mass produce it. Wouldn't you want something good at a affordable price? Anyways the RB engine series are getting old. There hasn't been much changed to them since the first Skyline came out.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:55 PM   #12
HellBent
AF Regular

Beautiful car!

But... I would expect the roofline to change a little. The rake is too severe killing headroom. (It's actually taller near the windshield.)

I think the interior will get canked as well. You can see how that brushed alum strip in the middle of the dash is already reflecting on the windshield. (Interior designer, you are the weakest link... good bye!)

Also I would expect horsepower to remain low. HP is directly proportional to price. Sub $30k pricing won't put you in the 300 hp range. Most cars with 300 are just about $30k. Those with more are over $30k. The Camaro was a slight exception, and it's going out of production, wonder why? (GM admitted to loosing money on every car, unlike the underpowered mustang that sells like hot cakes!)

Matter of fact, when was the last 300+ hp car released from Japan. Even the NSX is sub 300hp (stock). Japan regulates all it's cars to 276 or below, which is why most of it's exports fall in that range. Culturally they will never give us the satisfaction of having and owning their best. (Notice the Subaru WRX 276hp in Japan - 220hp or so in the USA.)

Also think about this. (Nissan 300Z with 300HP, Accura NSX 276hp.) Never happen!

There is a saying in Japan, "If a nail sticks up, hammer it down!" Nissan will not go out on a limb and buck the system. I would expect something a little less than 276hp.

Just my long winded 2 cents though
Old 08-27-2001, 08:21 PM   #13
F20C
AF Enthusiast

The 276 hp's gentleman agreement is useless. Japan have produce cars that have more hp at the crank. Wonder why a 3580 lbs Skyline GT-R V Spec can accomplished 5 seconds for 0-60mph? It doesn't produce 280 ps like it say. Dyno have proven the car produce closer to 330 hp stock. Nissan Cima and Honda NSX already tear apart the agreement.
Old 09-01-2001, 02:35 AM   #14
Wade T.
AF Newbie

Hrmm, it looks nice but it's nothing like the original 240Z. It looks too much like a Audi TT.

'85 7M-GTE conversion
Old 09-03-2001, 06:22 PM   #15
hakka
AF Enthusiast

Just reading MT and, according to them, the new Z is going to be called the 350Z. Anyone else heard this?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe