Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
randjhorses
AF Newbie

96 i30t need to fix speedodmeter

i just bought the car... at first it was the odometer and the speedodmeter , but then i smacked the guage cluster a couple times and the odometer works fine, no speed reading still, well actually it is stuck at 5 mph , not moving. Has not moved even once... how do i fix it and where should i look? Any ideas?
randjhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Jsaw
AF Newbie

Re: 96 i30t need to fix speedodmeter

Sometimes when it comes to the cluster its easier to replace the whole thing then to try and fix one gauge. If there is a sensor or something else not functioning it could affect the speedo, but my guess is your cluster is going.

-J
Jsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
randjhorses
AF Newbie

Question Re: 96 i30t need to fix speedodmeter

Yea, it is the only thing not working and the odometer wasnt so i am assuming it is the guages not the sensor. How hard is it to change the guage cluster? I did find them on ebay, how do you go about keeping the correct mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaw View Post
Sometimes when it comes to the cluster its easier to replace the whole thing then to try and fix one gauge. If there is a sensor or something else not functioning it could affect the speedo, but my guess is your cluster is going.

-J
randjhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by randjhorses View Post
Yea, it is the only thing not working and the odometer wasnt so i am assuming it is the guages not the sensor. How hard is it to change the guage cluster? I did find them on ebay, how do you go about keeping the correct mileage?
Here's a writeup fro maxima speedo (non digital)
clic linky http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507...maxima/page-22

U can rotate the number roll after pushing-separating em from adjacent gear with a toothpick... This is how 'most salesmen select' their 'mileage'..

See bigger pic: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507...-22#748507_690

Note: A 100$ GPS map/speed display is more accurate...

Btw. Edit: Check out the speed 'sensor' & signal: on some vehicles it can 'pop off' causing nosignal. Can be checked from ECU pin or cluster connector. Signal will fluctuate between zero/9V when wheel is raised/rotated.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14

Last edited by Nahkapohjola; 05-09-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Jsaw
AF Newbie

You can do what Nahka... shows in his post. I have never done it personally though. I know a lot of people just try to find a cluster with mileage close to what they have on their own vehicle. That would be the easiest way lol.

-J
Jsaw is offline   Reply With Quote